Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my R8 less than a week so still getting used to it's characteristics. One thing I find odd, and want to know if it is normal, is that if I'm making slow tight turns, for example when maneuvering into a parking spot, it seems the front tires are binding up and the transaxle is not letting them roll freely. I get exactly this same behavior from my 4WD Ford F150 on dry pavement when the 4WD is engaged - and Ford warns you it will happen and tells you not to do it. I've never had this happen in all the AWD cars, including Audi's, I have owned. Doesn't seem right to me.

Anyone else feel this binding?

Thanks,

JR

·
Registered
604 Posts
It is "Normal" as in they all do that but it is disconcerting and they should have told everyone why it does it and why they couldn't resolve it

·
Registered
647 Posts
It is "Normal" as in they all do that but it is disconcerting and they should have told everyone why it does it and why they couldn't resolve it
Fully agree with you. Just try Porsche 997 Turbo(also AWD)-that feeling do not exist on it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
R8's uses Lamborghini drivetrain - Gearbox, Diffs, from the Gallardo. Compared with say the RS4 system it is relatively primative, and the front diff is prone to locking when on full lock and wheels turning at different speeds.

It's a normal characteristic of the car I'm afraid - I can only guess its Audi saving a few bucks in development. (like TT seats, steering column, mirrors, Mag suspension, etc.)

I am not aware of any cure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts