Audi R8 Forums banner

Black, Silver or Bronze?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I‘m not usually a “black wheel guy”. I think it’s overdone, played out even and I think it just usually doesn’t look good. I find that black wheels disappear on the car whereas a silver wheel obviously shows more detail and really pops. That said, I also sort of think silver doesn’t work on my car as everything is black or carbon fiber, there’s nothing silver on the car besides the gas cap.

I managed to make some pretty terrible photoshops (using Microsoft paint) so don’t judge the quality and they are not to scale either. this is just a way to pick which color looks best on the Ascari Blue paint.

I’ve also added a 3rd option (Bronze) just to see what others say...so let me know your thoughts

The wheels are Ferrada FR8 in a 20/21” setup.
Thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
268 Posts
That’s not a bad photoshop other than the wheels look to be about a size “24 . I believe you have photoshopped the first R8 DONK.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
Gold looks good on blue cars, reminds me of the Subaru WRC cars

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Yeah I’m a fan of the bronze wheels as well. I’d change the caliper color though. I’ve never been a fan of red on blue. Yellow, silver, gold calipers would pop better in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Silver would be my choice. I'm not a fan of black wheels either.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I cringe when I see beautiful wheels and their details hidden in black paint. Silver is my vote, maybe even a more gun metal color to make it not pop so much.

·
Registered
2008 R8 6MT BNS
17 Posts
Silver, then bronze, then black...you said it yourself in the original post, black often doesn't work. And Photoshop or well edited pictures always make black look better than it does in real life...

·
Registered
2007 AUDI R8 (GATED MANUAL)
844 Posts
I’m loving the bronze, black then silver…in that order. I’m usually not a black wheel kind of guy but bec your top is black those black wheels looks awesome. Bronze gives it that sporty, racy and elegant look but the silver looks really executive.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
I'm usually a silver kind of guy. On black or dark gray cars, I could work with black.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Black wheels on a dark blue is tacky. Always was. Silver for sure.

·
Registered
2020 R8 V10 Performance Coupe Ascari Blue
114 Posts
The stock wheels are black with silver accents. I think that goes better with your and my cars ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That’s not a bad photoshop other than the wheels look to be about a size “24 . I believe you have photoshopped the first R8 DONK.
hahaha! Ya, it's only the rear that looks too big. The front is a little bigger than the stock 20" wheel. It's probably like a 21" front and 22 or maybe 23" rear if you were to scale it haha

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
where’s the matte graphite option? The graphite fr8 is my favorite wheel ferrada makes
Unfortunately it doesn't come in 21" I'm told...but thinking about it now, while it's not black, its still a very dark grey and if anything I would want a slightly tinted silver/light grey wheel over a dark grey wheel, Otherwise might as well go black if its dark grey.

·
Registered
190 Posts
def dont like the black on that particular car. bronze is dope but youre taking a risk and will stand out a lot. silver is the safe and good choice.
might suggest a gunmetal type color, halfway between silver and black if you think silver is to plain
good luck either way, nice car

1 - 20 of 35 Posts