Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I decided to mess around a little. I had bought a bunch of material to wrap my BMW but never did it. I saw a pic of a lighter colored R8 w/ a blacked out roof and carbon side blades and thought it looked nice. I had enough gloss black to take a shot it myself.

BOY....after 3 hours of working it, it turned out terrible. NOT a one man job. Especially if you have never worked with the material before. So.....all that time wasted, I figured I would try again Sunday. I only had black "carbon fiber" wrap left which I kinda felt silly about. Kinda "perpetrating' putting fake material on the car when it has so much real carbon, but I figured worst that could happen, was I could take it off if I didnt want it.

I still was working alone, but recruited my wife for a few hard parts and used some modified techniques I thought of learning from my prior failure. It turned out pretty good and I like the look.

It has a matte sheen with some good dynamics to the wrap material which is made by Vvivid.

I think the mirrors would look awesome if they contrasted so I put some carbon on the drivers side just to see how it would look. (did not take a pic of that). I think that is pushing the cheese factor a little far wrapping the mirrors in vinyl "carbon". They look good from 10' away, but when you get up on them, ...well I am not a professional vinyl wrapper and a few creases...etc.

Just for the heck of it, I went on ebay and ordered a set of Chinese knock off carbon mirrors. There are about 7-8 vendors and many are using the same pics. Probably one manuf in China and they are all selling same product. I looked on Alibaba and there were several of the same stock pics and similar pricing. I took a shot with a seller with 1500+ reviews and selling all kinds of carbon for various imports and good feedback.

Worst case, they dont fit well, and I can ship back. Found a thread on here where they guy went through the step by step of breaking down. Looks like under an hour per mirror. (less time that it took me to wrap it).

I'll report back on quality and fitment. Here are some pics of the wrap on the top.

I may just have done in gloss black by a "professional". Heck, maybe even a matte would look cool. Still not sure about the fake "carbon".

·
Registered
77 Posts
That looks good. I've been thinking of wrapping the roof also. Can you share some tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Also was it easy to cut the material with a knife or did you use knifeless tape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never did any wrapping before, but watched a guy on youtube "CK wraps". He makes it look so easy. I have done tons of things, it is one of those things where it really takes a touch developed over time. My 2nd attempt was MUCH better than my 1st.

Knifeless tape for sure. For me, using 2 people would have made it MUCH easier. I was using good film, but garage temp was probably mid 60's so I probably should have added more heat at times.

I clay bar'd. Then alcohol with microfiber to make sure surface was 100% clean.

I rough cut the film, and what helped me was (2nd time) to only take the backing off 1/2 the material so I could lay down one good stretch like a stripe running front to back about 3 " wide down the middle of the roof. Then I worked two triangles. The compound curve I think I could have made it A LOT easier with just a touch of heat and a good stretch for each corner. Instead, I worked cold which was painstaking. The material would gather and then need to be lifted, heated a touch and laid back down.

Like a said, a larger general heat of the panel, and having a hand to pull evenly over the surface would have gotten 90% of the way there in one shot. I just could not pull off by myself that way.

Then I went to the other side and removed the other backing and worked the other side in the same manner.

It took a lot of patience, mainly because of my inexperience. But it is surly, not impossible. One of those things where having another hand at times makes it SOOO much easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts