Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all,

Since 10 months I have an Audi R8 V8 from 2008. And since the beginning I have a small issue.

The problem is that if the engine is warm and idling for a few minutes (stoplight) it is smoking a lot when giving gas.

This only happens after idling on not with a cold start. Only when the engine is warm. The R8 does it already for 4000 miles and it is not getting worse.

Is a carbon clean the way to go? It has 100000 miles on the clock.

The engine sounds perfect but is burning 1 litre of oil at 700 miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
With 100k on it I would guess it might be worn piston rings. When going Dow a large hill using engine braking does it give off a large puff of smoke when you get back on the throttle? If it does it’s more than likely piston rings.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do a compression check. This will tell you if it's bad rings. If compression is good then it is most likely valve stem seals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only happens when fully warm and idling for more then 3 minutes. Recently I tried to put a better fuel in. Ron98 in stead of ron95 and it is a lot less then before. The engine is sounding really good and also the performance is there. I have the feeling it came after I upgraded the exhaust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts