Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has the GSM Bluetooth Phone option. To be honest I'm not a big fan of talking and driving at the same time but I use the car for work and it's a necessary evil. I also have a Q7 with the same option and it works a treat. On the R8 however it's not so good. Sound quality/volume is fine for the person you're talking to (i.e. the sound coming through the speakers) but the volume/quality going the other way (through the mic) is hopeless. I only know this because whenever I'm speaking (actually shouting) to someone they make comments like "You sound like you've fallen down a well!" or "Are you in a wind tunnel?". Usually either they get fed up with trying to hear what I'm saying or I get fed up with having to shout and we agree to speak later. It's not great.
As far as I can tell there's no way to adjust the input volume? I know it's a sports car and the mic is quite a way from the driver's mouth but I expected it to work better than this to be honest.
Has anyone else had the same problem?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh yes. Gonna mention it when my car's in on Monday for the low speed cough mentioned on the other thread.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Mine is fine too ... use it frequently for local (USA) and overseas calls and no-one has mentioned any problems hearing me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
love this bluetooth feature. I use it constantly. We all probably look like idiots sitting in a car like the R8 looking like we are talking to ourselves, but its a great feature.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I had the same problem on my 997S it was one of the first in the UK and was pretty much unusable. Went back to the dealer a dozen times over 3 years and had lots of software upgrades, new mics and even a whole new electronics console all at Porsches expense. After about 18 months I asked for a refund of the cost of the phone module but never got it. So pleased that the R8 system works well and is compatible with most phones to some degree.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Like most others mine seems to work great in the R8. My wife drives an 07 S4 Avant with the same system and it is sometimes hard to hear her. What we noticed is that if the ventilation fan is running the system seems to pick it up and it dominates her voice and creates a lot of noise. If she simply turns off the ventilation system temporarily then the phone seems perfectly fine. It doesn't seem plausible that the "wind" from the fan is too much as it doesnt feel strong, but the two are definitely interrelated.

Hope this helps,

JR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts