Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
536 Posts
Hi

The BMC filter box is not bad, because it contains very large filters that don't let any dirt through at all.
Cleaning and the missing funnels from the MAF are unfavorable.
The high price prevents it from being bought often.

Tom
ANY system will pass dirt depending on your variables, mostly driving conditions and/or attention towards maintenance.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

Sorry, that's not entirely true when it comes to a lot of dirt, which works like a vacuum cleaner on the R8.

Contamination from the filter fleece has to do with the available area and also with the speed of the flow through the fleece.

If you install four inch pipes in front of the airbox like I did, only dust will get into the box. Coarse dirt is not inhaled.

Another advantage of the four-inch pipes is that the engine develops more torque than with the discontinuously shaped standard pipes behind the sideblade.

The large BMC filters catch almost everything and hardly any dust gets into the engine.

Tom

·
Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
536 Posts
Perhaps you want to re read #20. I believe I have a working understanding of the word ANY. Now we're equivocating with "much" or "large".
The point is they're good but not perfect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Please…someone who’s a engineer reply. Explain to me how a giant filter will produce more hp/tq/intake CFM when the intake tube and throttle body/maf is still the same diameter. I keep seeing these huge filter CAI pop up and all they are is huge filters. Maybe I’m way off here but I come from the LS world before this. To increase intake volume, we had to increase intake and tb bore. I dunno.
I am no engineer, but I agree in regards to the theory that simply increasing the filter size won't increase horsepower unless there's an increase in velocity or a reduction in intake temperature. I came from the LS world (and still have an LS3 swapped '99 Trans Am) and a $250 K&N cold air intake kit increased horsepower by up to 14 without any increase in the throttle body or intake manifold diameter. The kit was also a ram air kit though with an open design. Eurowise has a ram air kit for the R8 that reportedly produces horsepower gains with the stock throttle body that eliminates the air box altogether and places the air filters behind the side blade openings. Regardless of the power benefits, despite having a supercharger, I'm still considering the BMC air box only because it looks better than the OEM airbox.

·
Premium Member
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
1,034 Posts
Just buy the BMC air filters and the Reid smooth intake hoses. (Not those huge filters as in the pic. But the normal sized ones) Keep your factory box. Don't mess with Audi engineering and just upgrade the parts that matter.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I ended up pulling the trigger on the BMC box, which is essentially the same design used for the LP Gallardo (different part number though), makes sense since they share the same engine. Will update once installed.

It even has the founder of BMC - Gaetano Bergam, personally give his stamp of approval!
Molto bene 😬

Musical instrument Picture frame Office equipment Automotive design Electronic instrument

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Installed, had to wiggle the box loose from the ducting by going left to right. Was pretty straightforward with the exception that one of the threads was a size smaller than the other 3 on the MAF housings. Baffling, had to pick up a replacement screw and it was good to go.

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive design Automotive tire

Stock box with K&N style filters

Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

One thing I did notice is that the stock box only has a carbon lid, the bottom half is plastic and it seems like the stock design is not completely sealed as you can see from this vent here.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

the matte vs gloss CF contrast is actually kinda nice

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Personal luxury car

Will update once I go for a drive relative to first impressions.

Planning on a dyno session soon as well to get some real world numbers, too bad I won't have a baseline to compare it with but it'll be better than the proverbial butt dyno

21 - 31 of 31 Posts