Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
looky looky

http://carrospt.blogspot.com/2006/05/concept-2008-new-bmw-z10.html

MW are to build a new Rear/Centrally mounted V10 rear wheel drive Supercar. Not since 1979 has BMW made a Supercar with the M1, but sources at BMW have revealed that a new Supercar, likely to be called the "Z10" is firmly on the drawing boards. Production could even be at the Rolls Royce Goodwood plant as it already has capacity to build another car. Using a highly developed version of the latest M5 & M6 V10 5.0 litre 500Bhp engines, increased by another 50cc's could make the new V10 capable of developing 550Bhp. Using the latest lightweight materials including aluminum & carbon-fibre throughout weight could be kept to 1200 Kg & have the power to weight ratio of 458 Bhp per tonne. Burkhard Goschel the head of BMW's development is said to "offer the ultimate in lateral dynamics", & must be cable of out performing the V8-powered M3 & Z4M. It will use the latest electronic & mechanical aids to enhance it's road holding capabilities & wind tunnel development will ensure aerodynamic down force is a priority. Active spoilers & venturi underbody will ensure the cars sticks to the road like an F1 car. BMW hopes to keep the price within £90,000 price bracket& sales should start in 2008.
Saving weight is the central theme, with an aluminium spaceframe chassis, first used in the Z8, the centrepiece. It'll be about the same size as a Lamborghini Gallardo but weigh 250Kg less at around 1,200Kg. Motive power will come from the now-established 500bhp V10 found in the nose of the M5 and M6 -- a chunky but potent motor. The report suggests that BMW may bore it out to 5.5-litres to boost power to 550bhp, driving through a seven-speed sequential gearbox. That kerb weight gives it a power-weight ratio of 458bhp/tonne, beating both the Porsche Carrera GT and the Ferrari F430.
Expect it to be sold close to top-end 911 money -- similar to the Aston Martin V8 Vantage -- at around ᆪ80,000-90,000.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank God. Maybe this will get Audi to play smart and price the car against the 911 instead of the Aston Martin. If the Z10 costs under 100k pounds, it will be about the same as a 911 Turbo. (http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/911/911-turbo/)
For the longest I never understood why automakers besides Ferrari and LAmborghini didn't make mid-engine sports cars. With the R8, the Lexus GT, and now the BMW Z10 coming, this should get very interesting. If BMW is the place of ideas that it claims to be, then they have to do it. And BMW doesn't have the branding issues that make it limit the performance of its cars. The BMW could end up the best car out. The only question will be the looks. The M6 is already a great performance car. The Z10 might give the 911 Turbo and the next Ferrari a run for its money. If it has a back end that is as sexy as the R8's, I'm switching teams. And it could be. The Z4 looks much better from the back than the front, but the R8 has the coolest tail lights I have ever seen.

·
Registered
840 Posts
... ... ...
... ... ... The BMW could end up the best car out. The only question will be the looks. ... ... ... The Z4 looks much better from the back than the front, ... ... ...
It will be interesting to see how things progress with the Z10 ... I like this image ... used to start the thread.
I know what you mean about the Z4 ... my partner has a Z4M and I really don't see the appeal of it from the front, even the visual scenery from the drivers seat (oh yes, they do go very well!) ... but the rear is definitely better than the front, from a visual point of view ... or at least it is as far as I'm concerned ... might be worth a talk with the dealer wherre my partner picked up her Z4M ... if that picture above is anything like the final production model might look!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The GT-R isn't mid-engined, but it will be awesome. There is zero hope of getting an R8 for a GT-R price and they really aren't targeting the same customer at all. The GT-R is the ultimate tuner car, but the R8 has the daunting task of taking on the legendary 911, while Porsche owns about 20% of VW which owns Audi.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The GT R is twin turbo 480HP 3.2 liter. Looks like its the real 911 killer and R8 killer and pretty much anything else

All of which should be good for a 0-60 miles-per-hour time of well under 4 seconds, and a top speed somewhere on the ambitious end of 180 mph.
and supposadely its only 70k!

Whatever the specs, come fall 2007, Japan’s streets will rumble to the new GT-R, followed by the U.S. and Canada in the spring of 2008. So that gives you about two years to save up the estimated $70,000 required to buy what might well be one of the greatest driver’s cars of the 21st century.
not too mention it comes with 20" wheels ;)

save your $. Sorry but the R8 is complete nonsense compared to this thing in both price and performance.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/GeneralFuture/articleId=117104

·
Registered
840 Posts
Whatever the specs, come fall 2007, Japan’s streets will rumble to the new GT-R, followed by the U.S. and Canada in the spring of 2008. So that gives you about two years to save up the estimated $70,000 required to buy what might well be one of the greatest driver’s cars of the 21st century.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/GeneralFuture/articleId=117104
Looks like it will be 2009 before the GT-R is rumbling round any streets ... according to the link quoted above ... it will be an impressive and quick car ... it won't appeal to the badge snobs ... being a Nissan ... but it will give lots of them a run for their money ... and probably beat a fair few as well ... although its not for me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Unfortunately the GT-R that Nissan will ACTUALLY launch (versus the concept photos above) is very very different indeed.

Yes, it'll be a Twin Turbo, but based on the 350z lump, which is 3.5L.

Unfortunately it'll also be based on a revised 350z chasis, so unless Nissan are planning some groundbreaking 4wd and 4wheel steering (next generation ones) it ain't going to be HUGELY different to a 350z on steroids.

Don't get me wrong, the 350z is a great car. I had one for 10 months and 24k miles - but Nissan can't build a "Supercar" using the 350z as a starting point, and Audi's original TT was only as good as the MKIV Golf it was based on.

Taking a MORE expensive car, making it better, giving it pant-wettingly good styling and lowering the price... Audi suddenly have an excellent forumla for a winner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts