Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
so I had Audi-Gilbert look at it, they did the TSB with the new pads and it appears the grinding is essentially gone, the only time it does it is when I turn into my driveway going like 1 mph and wheel is turned hard, but no more grinding when I slow down to a traffic lights, so I hope this fix actually works long term. I do however have brake squeal now at low speeds but that's ok

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it still grinds at low speed, it will only get worse over time. They haven't fixed it, they just changed the friction coefficient and it's moved the resonance for now. Once they bed in, it'll come back. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you be more specific , which control arms, and which bushings, if the OEM version then wouldn’t this repeat when they age or wear out in a few years? These cars are only several years old. Or are they a different type of bushings ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
so I had Audi-Gilbert look at it, they did the TSB with the new pads and it appears the grinding is essentially gone, the only time it does it is when I turn into my driveway going like 1 mph and wheel is turned hard, but no more grinding when I slow down to a traffic lights, so I hope this fix actually works long term. I do however have brake squeal now at low speeds but that's ok
Would you please share the TSB number? I will need to be very specific with my dealer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks to KFarbR8 for this post, because it answered a question about the double sided sticky tape on the back of the OEM brake pads for my 2017 R8 plus.

The original owner bought the car in July, 2016, and babied it for 3 years before I bought it. I took it to the track for a few events, and wore out the original pads which were until that point virtually unused.

I bought replacement OEM pads and Pagid RSC-1 pads for track days. With the steel rotors on my 2011 R8 5.2, I would switch out track pads for OEM pads when I would not be going to the track for a while, because OEM pads were less noisy than track pads.

The manual says the pads must be replaced whenever they are removed, because of the sticky tape. This seemed like BS, particularly since the Pagid RSC-1 pads had no sticky tape.

KFarbR8's explanation of the purpose of the sticky tape - the tape is a failed attempt to prevent some pad noise in daily driving - makes it clear I don't have to worry about the tape when swapping pads.

In fact, I looked at the worn out OEM pads that came on the car in 2016, and they do not have any sticky tape on the back.

I may buy a roll of 3M VHB tape - this is the brand on the label of the new OEM pads - to stick on the back when I swap out the pads. I doubt it will be worth the effort.

Thanks again to KFarbR8 for his detailed report.

RSC 1 - PAGID Racing

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well I brought my 17+ yesterday to have them look at the brake chatter/grunt.

Their master tech got on the car with me and drove around for a while and he managed to replicate the issue several times.

He is really good so let’s see what he finds as a solution. While at it, replacing the worn PZero for PS4S

·
Registered
408 Posts
Audi USA says "need new pads". Lets see as they start to wear out.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts