Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if you all read the thread on this subject under the performance section, so I will post this question here — How many of you here have this issues?

Mine started the next day on low speed and stop and go traffic. I told my wife when the front brake start making noise at the light, maybe people will think that it came from the car in-front or behind me. this is very annoying. Yes, Audi gave me a brochure explaining that this is normal... I wonder if they have brochure for every problems on their cars ; ?

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
happens with me too. Normal or not, I don't like it

·
Registered
108 Posts
Me too but I'm used to it because I put up with the same thing for 3 years on my Jaguar XKR fitted with Brembos.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If you think it's bad with stock pads, don't go for racing ones. I got Pagid yellows on right now, and it's the loudest squeal I've ever heard.

I have, however, got used to working the brakes differently to minimize the issue.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have, however, got used to working the brakes differently to minimize the issue.
yap, same here, trying to figure out different braking pattern to see wut work best to minimized that “Audi special squeal effects”. Also practice the — “wow, that is no me look.”

·
Registered
190 Posts
Not sure if you all read the thread on this subject under the performance section, so I will post this question here — How many of you here have this issues?

Mine started the next day on low speed and stop and go traffic. I told my wife when the front brake start making noise at the light, maybe people will think that it came from the car in-front or behind me. this is very annoying. Yes, Audi gave me a brochure explaining that this is normal... I wonder if they have brochure for every problems on their cars ; ?
What does the brochure say is the problem. I have with mine, too

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What does the brochure say is the problem. I have with mine, too
It is a tri-fold brochure, 6 panels of information that amount to — that special effects is part of the package we paid for ; > ......

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Mine was very bad, almost embarrassing from 500 to 3500 miles. I really thought it was the cold and it would get better with some heavy braking or higher temp but soon worse again. I complained to the dealer and got the brochure with the comment from the service manager "I wish Audi would just fix this problem instead of printing brochures".

In the past 500 miles it has all but disappeared. I have changed my braking pattern with less downshifting and more braking as I approach a stop. Since the roads are clear, I have been driving with more spirit and maybe this helps also.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
This all is very interesting, because my experience at 5,000mi is completely the opposite. Absolutely silent brakes. My driving styles are all over the place: mild use during the initial breaking-in period, sporty street driving when alone (but do use engine braking where practical), super-mild street driving when with a passenger/spouse, even two track days so far with very heavy braking.

I wonder if the anti-squeal shims could be missing from some of these cars, and if this could be a cause of the problems? [email protected]: you are the brake expert here, what do you think?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This all is very interesting, because my experience at 5,000mi is completely the opposite. Absolutely silent brakes. My driving styles are all over the place: mild use during the initial breaking-in period, sporty street driving when alone (but do use engine braking where practical), super-mild street driving when with a passenger/spouse, even two track days so far with very heavy braking.

I wonder if the anti-squeal shims could be missing from some of these cars, and if this could be a cause of the problems? [email protected]: you are the brake expert here, what do you think?
I do not envy you from missing on such a special feature that came with the rest of our car ; > You must ask for some money back. There is such a thing as anti-squeal shims?

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
There is such a thing as anti-squeal shims?
Yes, shims or clips, but I don't know enough about them to explain how they work. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable guys like MT or Craig can enlighten all of us?

·
Registered
18 Posts
same problem with mine at 11000, went back and forth to audi several times, they tried deglazing front and rear, then after complaint to audi uk director, they changed rear pads followed by front discs and pads! now okay but wondering for how long. could it be that earlier models are affected? mine is a sep 2007 model.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
same problem with mine at 11000, went back and forth to audi several times, they tried deglazing front and rear, then after complaint to audi uk director, they changed rear pads followed by front discs and pads! now okay but wondering for how long. could it be that earlier models are affected? mine is a sep 2007 model.
I think 09 too, because I just picked mine up last week... it is driving me insane.... I am now afraid to stop....

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Yes, the whole OEM brake noise thing is definitely "YMMV".
I'd chamfer the leading & traling edges if it were my car.

Disclaimer: Do at 100% your own risk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts