Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to fit a set of EBC Blue Stuff pads (thanks again to EBC for their pad giveaways!), and the brake bedding procedure recommends using brake temperature paint to verify reaching the right thresholds when doing this.

Have any of you done this, and if so, any recommendations on paint to use and right or wrong ways of applying it and reading it? And also, while using brake temp. paint might be the ideal, is it really needed? The only stuff I've found so far is this from Genesis:

Thanks

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ah, you want to check rotor temps. Yeah, you'd need paint for that but typically unless you're on a pro race team, you're mainly concerned with brake fluid temps. No point of doing it for brake bedding - just do 2-3 laps and they'll be bedded.

Also your rotors will 100% exceed 800F under hard use.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Easiest way to do it (on a closed course of course ;)):

You'll need more speed to bed them in quickly.

Bring the car to 120mph - hard on the brakes (as in pre-abs hard); decel to 40mph - get on power again and repeat 4-5x - after the last run you should smell them but even if you don't you've most likely got the job done but continue driving without stopping the car for 5-10 minutes. When you finally stop and park the car you'll see a layer of the brake material all over the rotor. You've successfully bedded your pads, no paint needed for this.

If you can't or don't want to hit 120mph, you can do it from lower speeds but because velocity is squared for kinetic energy, the slower you go the less kinetic energy is converted to thermal. So if you're going 100mph to 40mph you'll want to do it 6-8x.

It's not an exact science and it depends on ambient temps so don't read into details too much. The general goal is get the brakes hot so they can layer on the rotor then let them cool before stopping.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, and it all makes sense. I'll probably be going for lower top speed and repeating it more times. Our straight away here isn't too long before getting into turn one. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts