Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever heard of this ? 24 hours after taking delivery, my brand new R8 would not start.
Steeering wheel locked up, could not put car in neutral to have it towed, could not open engine window.
Battery was ok and when pressing the start button, only message on dash was turn steerring wheel.
Had the car towed to dealer...

·
Registered
672 Posts
sounds like it's a missing a chip....lol. But seriously, hoping a small easy fix with no downtime

Reactions: BDAmico

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hope that Audi is able to determine the cause of the problem. How was it able to be towed? I would like to know for future reference. I know that some modern cars are a pain to deal with when the battery dies or if there is a malfunction which prevents you from opening the frunk or putting it in neutral.

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,175 Posts
Anybody ever heard of this ? 24 hours after taking delivery, my brand new R8 would not start.
Steeering wheel locked up, could not put car in neutral to have it towed, could not open engine window.
Battery was ok and when pressing the start button, only message on dash was turn steerring wheel.
Did you do as the message on your dash said, to turn the steering wheel? Sometimes it locks, you need to turn it slightly so it "unlocks" and then hit start. I feel like that may very well be what happened. It can happen in any car, I would be impressed if the R8 actually told you to turn the steering wheel as most cars don't tell you that.

Reactions: geffers

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Was this just the steering wheel lock engaging, or did you attempt to turn the wheel and it wouldn't disengage the lock?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Did you do as the message on your dash said, to turn the steering wheel? Sometimes it locks, you need to turn it slightly so it "unlocks" and then hit start. I feel like that may very well be what happened. It can happen in any car, I would be impressed if the R8 actually told you to turn the steering wheel as most cars don't tell you that.
that would be pretty embarassing if that was it. im assuming whoever towed the car would have at least thought to try that

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
that would be pretty embarassing if that was it. im assuming whoever towed the car would have at least thought to try that
With no response in over 24 hours, I am leaning towards that being the problem. I mean the message on the dash was pretty clear...
Looking forward to hearing from the OP about what happened here

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
🤣🤣🤣 Yes I know that you have to slightly turn the steering wheel like in every other car. The steering was locked solid. Dealer told me that it is a part in the steering wheel that is defective ans they will replace it. Will take 5 days to receive the part. Dealer told me that it is known problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well towing guys did try it !! And believe or not, the service from Audi Road Assisatnce sent 3 towings. The first 2 did not know how to tow the car. One of them even wanted to tow the car up the platform by putting straps around the rear suspension !!! Finally, the third towing guy knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope that Audi is able to determine the cause of the problem. How was it able to be towed? I would like to know for future reference. I know that some modern cars are a pain to deal with when the battery dies or if there is a malfunction which prevents you from opening the frunk or putting it in neutral.
The service advisor came on site. He took out the cup holder and there is a white pin under it. He used a red tool (included in the case which has jack) to snap onto the pin and turn it. This put the car in neutral so it could pulled up the towing platform.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The service advisor came on site. He took out the cup holder and there is a white pin under it. He used a red tool (included in the case which has jack) to snap onto the pin and turn it. This put the car in neutral so it could pulled up the towing platform.
The service advisor also told me that defective ''lock spring'' in the steering caused the problem and that would not permit to put the car in neutral.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Glad you got it sorted

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Odd, this is the first I've heard of this...
Same!

You'd think someone on the forum would have reported this by now.

OP, did dealer say its known on all Gen2 R8s or specific to 2022?

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Well towing guys did try it !! And believe or not, the service from Audi Road Assisatnce sent 3 towings. The first 2 did not know how to tow the car. One of them even wanted to tow the car up the platform by putting straps around the rear suspension !!! Finally, the third towing guy knew what he was doing.
I had a similar experience with towing companies. First two couldn't (and wouldn't) tow the car... and I'm glad they didn't attempt it - they just knew it was unfamiliar, and the low clearance had them nervous.

The S-Tronic on Gen-1 has a similar manual release to force the transmission into neutral. The red tool in the frunk is used, as you described, but instead of engaging anywhere in the cabin, the release is located in the engine bay near the air boxes. For anyone with an S-Tronic transmission, I suggest getting familiar with how/where to engage it, while also making sure it exists in your toolkit if you're not the original owner.

Conveniently, for Gen-1 owners, the transmission release tool should be located right below the tow eyelet. And, while we're on that topic, it's valuable to read-ahead on how the tow hook gets installed as this took a bit of fiddling to remove the front passenger fin to get to the socket.

For the OP, I'm glad they're getting the steering lock sorted out for you!

Grey Road surface Automotive lighting Asphalt Motor vehicle

Reactions: LPR8

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Same!

You'd think someone on the forum would have reported this by now.

OP, did dealer say its known on all Gen2 R8s or specific to 2022?
Did not say anything about Gen2 or specific to 2022... They just said it was known.
I had a similar experience with towing companies. First two couldn't (and wouldn't) tow the car... and I'm glad they didn't attempt it - they just knew it was unfamiliar, and the low clearance had them nervous.

The S-Tronic on Gen-1 has a similar manual release to force the transmission into neutral. The red tool in the frunk is used, as you described, but instead of engaging anywhere in the cabin, the release is located in the engine bay near the air boxes. For anyone with an S-Tronic transmission, I suggest getting familiar with how/where to engage it, while also making sure it exists in your toolkit if you're not the original owner.

Conveniently, for Gen-1 owners, the transmission release tool should be located right below the tow eyelet. And, while we're on that topic, it's valuable to read-ahead on how the tow hook gets installed as this took a bit of fiddling to remove the front passenger fin to get to the socket.

For the OP, I'm glad they're getting the steering lock sorted out for you!

View attachment 268795
Excatly.. best thing is to know where it is located. In my a car, you remove the rubber at the bottom of the cup holder, take a screwdriver and remove the cup holder and you will see a white pin about the diameter of a dime.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts