Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Great color DJ! Thanks for sharing. I originally ordered Silver as well but have now changed it to black.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks fab - see you around some time. What do the Essex boy racers think when you stop at the lights?

Quick question - can I ask how much your insurance is and who do you go through?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep the number plate is 99.9% legal ...
its V1 PDJ .. In the UK we don't have a letter "I" so the number one (1) looks like an I .... If you get me .

So really its only the spacing that I have changed , but that's not a problem only ever been pulled over once in 5 years on that plate..
The police man said to me "MMMM what is that plate meant to be ? as I have tried a few things but its not coming up ? ..."

I replied "Why don't you type in what it says ? VIP DJ . he did and said oh yeah sorry" Bloody FOOL lol.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The Essex boys love it ... for real only had her 2 days and peeps faces are great , most people just pull a huge smile , others you can see saying WOW !
Everyone looks at this car even peeps in there 80s.
Lots of photos and thumbs up by other drivers...
LOL some young CHAV looked and me and called me a wanker !
ERR hello i`m driving a 100K super car ..sort of bloke thats thinks a Scooby is the only sports car in the world ! TWAT..

insurance ..... Well i very almost brought an Aston - Vantage last week the insurance for that was £2,500 a year ... bearing in mind i have 7 years no claims and 34 years of age .... ok i thought its a 90K peice of kit..
Croup 32 insurance

Then i got very lucky and was offered the R8 , my first thought was insurance ?????

Wait for it ............ Croup 20 £1100 for the year !!! Amazing !

i use admiral insurance .

·
Registered
126 Posts
You may not require a tracker for insurance but being a practically irreplacable vehicle i would definatly consider getting one fitted, have a look at my website www.audi-r8help.com and look at the cobratrak system, very good.

·
Registered
617 Posts
You may not require a tracker for insurance but being a practically irreplacable vehicle i would definatly consider getting one fitted, have a look at my website www.audi-r8help.com and look at the cobratrak system, very good.

A tracker is essential from a car jacking point of view, and given your area and how close you are to the container terminals your nice little twat of a chav would not hesitate to pull a knife on you for a quick sale to the middle east.

The cobrarack 5 system is brilliant, can not recommend enough.

·
Registered
718 Posts
NIJEE - I am using Norwich Union. £920. St. Albans, maximum NCD

DJANGRY - I MUST ABSOLUTELY agree with L3MAN. A tracking device is essential. If not for insurance, then from a point of view in getting your car back !!!!

I was carjacked in my RS4. Thanks to Navtrack, it was on a police transporter within 40 minutes. Damage was one smashed wing mirror when they hit the barreier in an attempt to get out of the car park in a hurry.

It could have been much worse....................

If you are spending £90K on a car, then another £800 +/- is irrelevant.

Bear in mind that the R8 will be a PRIME TARGET for theft and shipment to E.Europe, middle East, far East.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
CAR jacking ... is this very common in the UK then ? mmmm got me thinking now. when I brought my SLK she had a tracker fitted and I never bothered to register it.. I just thought what a pain in the arse having to make sure i have the over sized credit card with me all the time or risk being pulled over by the police. Call me an twat but that's what I pay insurance for , if she gets taken they pay me out , its not going to stop anyone car jacking me and to be frank if anyone stuck a gun or knife in my face i would give them the car , after all its only a car . and to replace it , its only money ! my health is much more important to me.

I did hear hear a few years ago in the USA (and where else) you could have some kind of flame thrower fitted to your car and when someone tried to jack you at the lights you hit a button and turn them to toast...
Now I would buy one of them ha ha..

Saying that maybe i will buy a tracker .

·
Registered
718 Posts
Carjacking has unfortunately become increasingly common in recent years, New cars are now almost impossible to steal without the keys.

This was 6 years ago, and mine was one of the first RS4's on the road. I was car jacked at the Holiday Inn hotel car park at Heathrow airport.

There were three of them and i just gave them the keys.....

I found out from my dealer that he was personally aware of several other incidents. Another customer who had an RS2 who was followed home and attacked by yobs with a baseball bat. His car was used in other crimes before being recovered.

Other incidents include someone in central London being murdered for their TT. Plus of course the Willoughby gang who smashed people's front doors down and demanded the car keys to your prode and joy (North London about 4 years ago). I mentioned this in another thread already. They were caught & convicted due to a tracking device.

Doom-and-gloom aside, personal safety is more important. BUT, without a tracker is is far less likely you will ever get your car back. Finding another R8 will be expensive and your insurance premiums will rocket. If you don't want the auto-disarm with the plastic cards, then go for the basic tracking unit (e.g. Cobratrack Q), which only activates when you ring up Cobra to tell them your car has gone. They activate it and liase directly with the police.

As regards the flame thrower, it is South African. Yes, you can shoot or toast carjackers there. I have spent a little time there, and very much NOT a place to drive a nice car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts