Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just taken delivery of my V10 plus with bucket seats. I notice most people and cars in the UK have sports seats. Is everybody changing from the standard spec?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just taken delivery of my V10 plus with bucket seats. I notice most people and cars in the UK have sports seats. Is everybody changing from the standard spec?
All of the people I have talked to except one upgraded to the sport seats with diamond stitching over the racing shell seats. Most have said the racing shell seats are not super comfortable in normal use but are supportive if you plan on tracking the car on a regular basis. I opted for sport seats on my Plus and paid the $5500 up charge.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
From what I've seen its about two thirds in favour of sports seats on the V10+. My main criticism of the buckets is the front of the base does not go high enough to support my thighs.

Interesting to hear that the sports seats are considered an upgrade in the U.S. In the UK we can select sports seats on the V10+ at zero cost. It's actually a downgrade but you don't get any money back. On the standard V10 which comes with sports seats, the bucket seats are a £3,000 upgrade.

·
Registered
500 Posts
From what I've seen its about two thirds in favour of sports seats on the V10+. My main criticism of the buckets is the front of the base does not go high enough to support my thighs.

Interesting to hear that the sports seats are considered an upgrade in the U.S. In the UK we can select sports seats on the V10+ at zero cost. It's actually a downgrade but you don't get any money back. On the standard V10 which comes with sports seats, the bucket seats are a £3,000 upgrade.
The no charge seats you're referring to are the standard sport seats with no contrast stitching. I just went on the UK configurator and to switch from the standard racing shell seats on a V10+ to the diamond stitched sport seats it's 3400 GBP. It adds the fine nappa leather package as well as contrast stitching package. Looks like you have more options in ordering seats than we do in the US.

I like the look of the racing shell seats and would have loved to not pay the extra money to get sport seats but I didn't want to live with completely manual seats and will be taking it on some longer trips so I wanted the added comfort of the sport seats. I also love the look of the diamond stitching! :)

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
The no charge seats you're referring to are the standard sport seats with no contrast stitching. I just went on the UK configurator and to switch from the standard racing shell seats on a V10+ to the diamond stitched sport seats it's 3400 GBP. It adds the fine nappa leather package as well as contrast stitching package. Looks like you have more options in ordering seats than we do in the US.

I like the look of the racing shell seats and would have loved to not pay the extra money to get sport seats but I didn't want to live with completely manual seats and will be taking it on some longer trips so I wanted the added comfort of the sport seats. I also love the look of the diamond stitching! :)
Yes that's correct, if you want the diamond contrast stitching, you must select the extended leather pack as well. If you only want to the diamond stitching (non contrast) then it's a £450 upgrade - option N1H. I'd be interested to hear of the sports seats are significantly different from the Gen1. My local dealer has had a few + come through but they are all with buckets.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sport seats for me too. Racing seats even though I like the look are just too narrow for my back. Audi and Porsche need to stop using horse jockey's for their seat measurements.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you have a V 10+ in the US the racing shell seats are standard. They are not available on the regular V 10. If anything, I would consider the racing seats to be an upgrade rather than a downgrade. Now that being said, it is a fact that most people have come to believe that the buckets are more comfortable. I haven't sat in either version. I think it comes down to what you plan to use the car for and where your mind is that with respect to experiencing the car. I have spoken in detail to people that have driven the car with the racing seats.

Of the many comments I heard one did stand out- "The car was so fast that when I drove it I was glad to have the support of the racing seats ". For this reason I have decided to keep the racing seats. Also, on my current car one regret I do have is being unable to fit a four point harness without having to buy brand-new seats. By getting the shell seats that will be easy to do, even though I only track my car a couple to three times a year. Believe it or not, those precious minutes on track versus the rest of the year seem to stand out more and more powerfully on my car ownership Experience then all the relatively invisible and uneventful commuter miles spent in the car the remainder of the year. The consensus I get is that the buckets are more comfortable overall but it's not like the racing shell seats are torture contraptions from the dark ages either.

Ideally I would love to have contrasting stitching everywhere in the car but I will be happy with the contrast stitching that comes as standard on the racing shell seats. Seeing as how this is going to be my third R8 I have learned very well how quickly the interior becomes invisible when you're driving this amazing car on a quiet Sunday morning or to and from work.

I will be doing the extended leather package. But it does not include contrasting stitching on the dash or doors.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
The consensus I get is that the buckets are more comfortable overall but it's not like the racing shell seats are torture contraptions from the dark ages either.
I know what you mean but the bucket seats are the racing shell seats. US brochure calls them racing shell seats, UK brochure calls them buckets. Both call the standard seats "sports seats"

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you have a V 10+ in the US the racing shell seats are standard. They are not available on the regular V 10. If anything, I would consider the racing seats to be an upgrade rather than a downgrade. Now that being said, it is a fact that most people have come to believe that the buckets are more comfortable. I haven't sat in either version. I think it comes down to what you plan to use the car for and where your mind is that with respect to experiencing the car. I have spoken in detail to people that have driven the car with the racing seats.

Of the many comments I heard one did stand out- "The car was so fast that when I drove it I was glad to have the support of the racing seats ". For this reason I have decided to keep the racing seats. Also, on my current car one regret I do have is being unable to fit a four point harness without having to buy brand-new seats. By getting the shell seats that will be easy to do, even though I only track my car a couple to three times a year. Believe it or not, those precious minutes on track versus the rest of the year seem to stand out more and more powerfully on my car ownership Experience then all the relatively invisible and uneventful commuter miles spent in the car the remainder of the year. The consensus I get is that the buckets are more comfortable overall but it's not like the racing shell seats are torture contraptions from the dark ages either.

Ideally I would love to have contrasting stitching everywhere in the car but I will be happy with the contrast stitching that comes as standard on the racing shell seats. Seeing as how this is going to be my third R8 I have learned very well how quickly the interior becomes invisible when you're driving this amazing car on a quiet Sunday morning or to and from work.

I will be doing the extended leather package. But it does not include contrasting stitching on the dash or doors.
Please send your bitches to Audi, I have already complained about the stitching to them, but my complaints fell on deaf ears.

·
Registered
732 Posts
lol. i'm not bitching. just summarizing my thoughts. besides- AOA doesn't care. car is hot as hades.
Please send your bitches to Audi, I have already complained about the stitching to them, but my complaints fell on deaf ears.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Not so much the back but the shoulder area that is too narrow and angled forwards.

It means you cannot push your shoulders back- almost in the position when you ride a bicycle or motorbike.

(And now I know why Hell's angels guys prefer choppers! Like sports seats to the bucket seat equivalent of the usual bikes!)

But still, they are great to look at, and great when driving the machine as it is meant to be driven.

(And yes, the new Audi R8 is a beast!)

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Are the side bolsters inflatable or otherwise adjuable?

I have the opposite problem to most here as the regular seats don't hold me in at all. On track I am sliding all over the place even with the CG-lock seat belt attachment cranked down which horribly digs in my side and gives me bruises. I would love to try these racing shell seat out. My mechanic think that they could be retrofitted in the gen 1 cars so I am really considering the idea. Right now I am using diy memory foam pads for track use whcih help a lot but would like a more oem solution.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Radius- i've spoken to various people. the new std seats are 25% better for tracking than the old ones. the shells i hear are perfect. they are the only option if you ever plan to use a 4 pt harness without shelling out 2x as much aftermarket. i got tired of feeling loose in my seast on the track. even though i'd say i've spent only 10% of my ownership on the track it accounts for 90% of the experience with this car. unfortunately, my shell equipped car won't be here till later in the year so i can't tell you more. the shells do not have adjustable side bolsters. they have manual fore/aft, power height, and manual tilt. that's it.

plus- they look sexy as hell. not that that matters for any practical reason.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The standard bucket seats get uncomfortable fast. Tried them, liked them...until I drove over 100 km in them. They are too thin and barely offer comfort. Depends what you're looking for.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have no complaints about the buckets seats, have traveled over 200km in one journey and had no discomfort at all, but maybe being 173cm tall and weighing 75Kg they fit me a treat...........................for me the right choice for the car.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
To each his own. I so wanted to love them and use them on the track. But then Audi loaned me a car for,a,weekend and after 3 hours in the car one day they were just too narrow. And I'm 5'9" and 162 lb. I sat in a new Huracan a week later and there were 2 inches of extra width. I don't know why Audi/ Recaro made them so narrow. Too uncomfortable for any distance. Mine is coming with sports seats

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Thanks for your mini review of the racing seats all. I am about the same size as Ducatiman and Maverick. Still, seems I would have to try them for myself. Unfortunately looks like most of the US bound cars are spec'ed with the sport seats so I am going to have a difficult time locating a test unit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had a call from my local Audi dealership at the end of last week to see if I was prepared to take out a potential customer so he could be a passenger in a car with bucket seats fitted, all their remaining R8's only had sports seats. Took the customer for a ride today over a range of different roads and at the end also agreed that the car was right with the bucket seats...................Out of interest I tried one of the demonstrators with the sports seats again, comfortable I don't disagree, but I am really pleased I have the bucket seats.

For me when you get in the car and slide into the bucket seats you know that you are driving a special car........................

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm taking the plunge your way. Mine is coming with the buckets (i call them race seats or shells) can't wait. Won't get here till Dec or Jan, though!
Had a call from my local Audi dealership at the end of last week to see if I was prepared to take out a potential customer so he could be a passenger in a car with bucket seats fitted, all their remaining R8's only had sports seats. Took the customer for a ride today over a range of different roads and at the end also agreed that the car was right with the bucket seats...................Out of interest I tried one of the demonstrators with the sports seats again, comfortable I don't disagree, but I am really pleased I have the bucket seats.

For me when you get in the car and slide into the bucket seats you know that you are driving a special car........................

1 - 20 of 38 Posts