Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on another forum that the bucket seats are £1600 'extra'. My dealer had confirmed to me earlier in the year that Buckets were a no-cost option.

Anyone know the truth?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sounds like you got a nice dealer - always has been an expensive option as far as I am aware. It is a shame that audi can pile on the extra's on their top of the range car when they are all standard on the S4 RS4 S8 etc. As for £800 for electric seats and £1600 for buckets it does seem like taking the piss but heyhow we all love the car - and they know they can get away with it. For now !!!! ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm getting a little tired of my dealer who seems to have broken most of their promises. I should probably check with the R8 team in Audi UK, just to make sure my order has been properly recorded..

£1600 for buckets really is taking the pi$$. Maybe I should just switch them across from my RS4. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Tell you what guys , save yourself £1600 and don't bother!! I bought a new RS4 and sold it within 4 months because of those seats, as they were so uncomfortable, and a literal pain in the ass getting in and out. In addition, the side bolsters were getting very badly crumpled VERY quickly. I was using the car every day and just couldn't live with them. I was so relieved to see they were not the standard seats in the R8. They look great, but in the end of the day they need to be comfortable and aren't!! By the way I used to rally and have spent all day in bucket seats in a rally car thro' scottish forests, and been comfortable. Not so with these baby's however IMHO.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tell you what guys , save yourself £1600 and don't bother!! I bought a new RS4 and sold it within 4 months because of those seats, as they were so uncomfortable, and a literal pain in the ass getting in and out. In addition, the side bolsters were getting very badly crumpled VERY quickly. I was using the car every day and just couldn't live with them. I was so relieved to see they were not the standard seats in the RS4. They look great, but in the end of the day they need to be comfortable and aren't!! By the way I used to rally and have spent all day in bucket seats in a rally car thro' scottish forests, and been comfortable. Not so with these baby's however IMHO.
I am the opposite. I use my RS4 every day and love the bucket seats. I actually bought an RS4 'specifically for the bucket seats', after driving 2000 miles down to spain for an article with EVO magazine. I also have recaro buckets in my M3 CSL and used to have the Porsche bucket seats in my GT3.

An R8 without bucket seats, would just not be an option for me.

I also still race and prefer to feel located in any sports car I drive.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm getting a little tired of my dealer who seems to have broken most of their promises. I should probably check with the R8 team in Audi UK, just to make sure my order has been properly recorded..

£1600 for buckets really is taking the pi$$. Maybe I should just switch them across from my RS4. :rolleyes:
Steve,

Code for Buckets is PS5. Yes, upcharge but, worth it IMHO.

Here is more about Buckets...
http://www.recaro.com/fileadmin/pdf/press/OEM/Englisch/RECARO_AudiR8_GB.pdf

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think GR8's post is a fair warning to people not to order these seats unless they have actually been able to sit in them. In the photograph, they look very similar to the seats in a Mercedes McLaren SLR my CEO lent me for some weekend drives. The longest drive I managed to endure was a freeway trip of about 60 miles to visit some relatives. When I got out the car, my hips were so sore I could barely move or stand up. I have not used the car since, and he has sold it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's a bit of both for me really. I am totally comfortable when I am in the seat but getting in and out is the problem. So it depends on whether you drive the car everyday or just a weekend car really.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Bucket have only one minus-no side bags. Everything else is better with Buckets.

R8 is a sportscar not a luxury saloon a la A8. Standard seats are pretty much the same one as in TT and I find that a pretty shamefull fact.

Next thing is leather wear with Standard seats. Demo R8 at my local dealer is looking pretty bad regarding that...

Do not forget 18kg weight difference as well...

·
Registered
439 Posts
We don't even have the option of bucket seats in the U.S., as they do not meet our federal crash standards. I wonder whether the buckets really are less safe in a crash, or whether this is just some bureaucratic artifact of a testing method.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think GR8's post is a fair warning to people not to order these seats unless they have actually been able to sit in them. In the photograph, they look very similar to the seats in a Mercedes McLaren SLR my CEO lent me for some weekend drives. The longest drive I managed to endure was a freeway trip of about 60 miles to visit some relatives. When I got out the car, my hips were so sore I could barely move or stand up. I have not used the car since, and he has sold it.
It goes without saying that some will find the buckets a bit tight, whilst others will be fine. I am a 32" waist, so the buckets fit me fine. Even so I switch off the automatic tightening function, widen the base of the seats to its maximum setting and then achieve a snug fit on the upright section.

What's nice about the buckets, apart from them locating me well for a sporting drive is the distinctive way they feel. A little like putting on a helmet and feeling ready for action, the buckets don't just feel like 'any other' seat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anyone using child seats in the bucket ? Do they fit in ?

And what about leather wear on the side from everyday use ? Do you notice anything ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts