Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...are almost ready!

They are in new internal price list: Bucket seats(code Q4P)

Ceramic Brakes? Not yet... BUT, soon...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi Kreso

Agree with you about the bucket seats - are you going to have electric seat adjustment with them?
The reviews about the ceramics have not been generally good - even the ones in favour have questioned whether they are worth the extra money and everybody has complimented the standard brakes. Do you think they are so essential?

John

·
Registered
782 Posts
I drove an RS4 with bucket seat, but for me they were not comfortable. I don't know but after an hour or so I felt unconfortable in it. Maybe because of my length (190cm)?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kreso

Agree with you about the bucket seats - are you going to have electric seat adjustment with them?
The reviews about the ceramics have not been generally good - even the ones in favour have questioned whether they are worth the extra money and everybody has complimented the standard brakes. Do you think they are so essential?

John
John,

I will not order or wait for Bucket's. No side bags(and head airbags as well) with Bucket seats. They are the same seats as the one in RS4(except different leather pattern), adjustment like as well. BUT, many people here think that they are essential.

Ceramic Brakes... Normal brakes in R8 are excellent and very big(fronts 380mm/8caliper, rears 356mm/4caliper)! Ceramics are same size, but fronts are with 6calipers...
Essential? No, but they are better option then buckets IMHO. They are more powerfull(marginallly) then normal R8 brakes, but main advantage is constant brake power and pedal feel! Do not forget about brake dust as well...

According to some internal info R8 with Ceramics is around 0.2s faster around Hockenheim then the one with normal brakes. You can expect bigger difference around Ring. Constant brake power and pedal feel are CONFIDENCE BOOSTER IMO.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi Kreso

Bucket seats ... as in RS4 only have electrical adjustment for the bolsters on the sides of the seat base and the lower part of the seat back ... all other movement is manual by levers or circular knobs.

John
imho ... ceramics are not essential ... the R8 steel brakes are very similar to the RS4 system ... possibly a bit better ... so they should be more than up to the job.

If you are going to track the car a fair bit ... or can afford it for the reduction in dust generated from the brakes ... worth considering ... otherwise ... imho ... they would not be essential.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I drove an RS4 with bucket seat, but for me they were not comfortable. I don't know but after an hour or so I felt unconfortable in it. Maybe because of my length (190cm)?
I have a big tip for anyone with RS4 bucket seats ... although some may have already discovered it ... when you are on a long journey and have the 'Sport' button pressed ... losen off the bolsters on teh side of the seat base ... if you still want to feel secure ... tighten up the bolsters on the side of the seat back.

I quite often have trips of 2hours and more and I realised that my right leg became uncomfortable against the seat bolster by my leg ... so on long trips I losen off the bolster that supports my legs ... on a recent trip of nearly four hours ... I had the 'Sport' button pressed but losened off the bolsters by my legs and felt absolutely fine after the trip.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Personally ... I will be hoping to have the bucket seats ... I really like them in the RS4 and am happy to manually adjust them when required ... which is seldom ... there will be a marginal weight saving ... I am confident in this as I asked my dealer this question and he came back to me with a figure that ... if my memory is correct ... will mean an R8 with bucket seats will be about 9kg lighter than the same R8 with electric seats.

Once you know the tip about long distance driving in the bucket seats ... see an earlier post in this thread ... they are more than comfortable enough.

Also, imho ... having bucket seats will have little effect when it is time to sell the car ... they are considered an optional extra ... therefore by implication "an upgrade" ... and the majority of people buying a second hand R8 will not be too concerned whether they are buying one with bucket seats, or electric seats ... imho

·
Registered
564 Posts
i would love to have those bucket seats... they imho fit a sportcar like the R8 perfectly.. BUT i will not want to miss the airbags, so i will, as Kreso, pass on them...

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have a big tip for anyone with RS4 bucket seats ... although some may have already discovered it ... when you are on a long journey and have the 'Sport' button pressed ... losen off the bolsters on teh side of the seat base ... if you still want to feel secure ... tighten up the bolsters on the side of the seat back.

I quite often have trips of 2hours and more and I realised that my right leg became uncomfortable against the seat bolster by my leg ... so on long trips I losen off the bolster that supports my legs ... on a recent trip of nearly four hours ... I had the 'Sport' button pressed but losened off the bolsters by my legs and felt absolutely fine after the trip.
That is a good tip. Is it correct that you can disable the bolster tightning in the software, so it will not be tightend when you use the sport mode?

Will the R8 have these aswell? I thought the Bucket Seats in the R8 where manual?

·
Registered
840 Posts
That is a good tip. Is it correct that you can disable the bolster tightning in the software, so it will not be tightend when you use the sport mode?
I think it is possible to do this ... although I have not tried it out.
Will the R8 have these aswell? I thought the Bucket Seats in the R8 where manual?
The bucket seats in the RS4 are ... manual to a degree ... that is the base height is operated by a lever that you repeatedly lift up or push down to change the seat height ... the distance from the steering wheel is changed by lifting a handle to allow the seat to slide back or forward ... the angle of the seat back can be changed by turning a knob on the side of the seat ... although the bolsters are adjusted by moving one of two switches in one of two directions ... depending on whether you are adjusting the ones along the side of the seat base ... or the ones at the side of the seat back ... and the direction of the switch will either make the bolster provide more ... or less ... lateral support ... but operating these switches causes some electrical components to work and change the bolster position ... so I suppose you could say they are part manual ... part electric ... mine are heated too ... which I suppose means they are more electric than non heated bucket seats ... ;)

The bucket seats used in the R8 will be ... fairly similar ... I think that main difference will be that it will be possible to make the backs of the ones in the R8 ... move forward to make it easier to put luggage ... or some golf bags ... etc ... behind the seats ... however, I am not 100% certain of this ... obviously once you have stowed whatever it is you are stowing behind the seats in the R8 ... you will no doubt be able to move the seat back ... backwards again to hopefully allow you to sit in the seat ... obviously this movement will also help you to remove items that have been put behind the seats.

I hope this is clear enough to follow ... whilst at the same time I hope it does not appear to come across that it is a definitive answer ... all the above is ... imho ... and ... ttbomk ... ;)

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think it is possible to do this ... although I have not tried it out.
The bucket seats in the RS4 are ... manual to a degree ... that is the base height is operated by a lever that you repeatedly lift up or push down to change the seat height ... the distance from the steering wheel is changed by lifting a handle to allow the seat to slide back or forward ... the angle of the seat back can be changed by turning a knob on the side of the seat ... although the bolsters are adjusted by moving one of two switches in one of two directions ... depending on whether you are adjusting the ones along the side of the seat base ... or the ones at the side of the seat back ... and the direction of the switch will either make the bolster provide more ... or less ... lateral support ... but operating these switches causes some electrical components to work and change the bolster position ... so I suppose you could say they are part manual ... part electric ... mine are heated too ... which I suppose means they are more electric than non heated bucket seats ... ;)

The bucket seats used in the R8 will be ... fairly similar ... I think that main difference will be that it will be possible to make the backs of the ones in the R8 ... move forward to make it easier to put luggage ... or some golf bags ... etc ... behind the seats ... however, I am not 100% certain of this ... obviously once you have stowed whatever it is you are stowing behind the seats in the R8 ... you will no doubt be able to move the seat back ... backwards again to hopefully allow you to sit in the seat ... obviously this movement will also help you to remove items that have been put behind the seats.

I hope this is clear enough to follow ... whilst at the same time I hope it does not appear to come across that it is a definitive answer ... all the above is ... imho ... and ... ttbomk ... ;)

You are very clear! :) The standard seat do have the possibility to move the backs forward. So maybe it will be possible for the buckets aswell.

I'll arrange another testdrive in a RS4, I'll try to drive with your tips in mind. Hoping to make a good deciscion!

Thanks Paul!

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you guys are tall and big, I don't recommend the bucket seat. For track use or very short trips maybe. Maybe if your slender or under 6 feet, as I sat high in those seats. I don't think they have an electric sport bucket seats, but the standard seats did have all the standard audi electric seat switch. I get more info soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts