Registered
Audi R8 V10
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sleeve Bag Gadget Font Wrist

Flowerpot Wood Twig Plant Wire

Bumper Office equipment Gas Automotive exterior Asphalt

Dear All,
I did a very stupid things after found my battery on the car was dead.
In order to start the car i use the Cables connected to my other car battery.
Instead of connecting the negative cable directly to the battery i did connect it to the little negative metal connector next to the trunk battery window.
The result was that i have found the cable burned out :eek:.
Now there is a cable burned in a bunch of cables in the front trunk ( see pics) anyone expert can give me an advice?
Thanks a lot
Hood Automotive lighting Sleeve Gesture Finger

·
Registered
388 Posts
I’m confused. I’ve been told that you are supposed to connect the negative clamp to the metal ground piece, not to the negative terminal on the battery. I’m going to be texting out my new CTEK in a few days here so can somebody correct me if that is wrong?

·
Registered
579 Posts
You have to replace the connector, part number is visible ouside: 1J0 973 724. Remove the pins and wires from the old connector. Then replace the burnt wire by soldering a new piece of wire with the same diameter, use heat shrink to cover the soldered part, attach a new pin to the wire and put the pins back into the connector. You might also have to replace the plug that goes into the connector depending on the lenght of burned wire.

Google: 1J0973724

·
Registered
579 Posts
I’m confused. I’ve been told that you are supposed to connect the negative clamp to the metal ground piece, not to the negative terminal on the battery. I’m going to be texting out my new CTEK in a few days here so can somebody correct me if that is wrong?
The OP didn't use the metal ground piece but the clip that is attached to the plastic frame!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wish I was there, I enjoy these types of repairs.

As Fastspek mentioned, de-pin and replace the wire and the connector:

Trace the burned wire back until it is not burned anymore and remove it, but make sure you have removed all of the damaged length, be generous. Find the correct color(s) wire online to replace with.

Solder or crimp. I crimp with non-insulated connectors personally, and then cover with heat shrink that contains adhesive.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
My CTEK is connected directly to the battery. I've been doing it this way for years on a whole range of different cars without any issues.

If you intend not to use the battery connector that comes with the charger and instead use the crocodile clips, then always connect and disconnect the Pos + first.

Reactions: FGAR8 and Tupper

·
Registered
388 Posts
^ The Audi SA that I spoke with (who spoke with the foreman who is an R8 "master technician") said to connect the negative clip to the ground bar, not the battery. Also, the owners manual says the same thing.

Your car is a 2010, mine is 2022, obviously something must have changed in the ensuing 12 years? I'm no expert, but I just don't want to damage my battery

·
Registered
579 Posts
^ I'm confused, is that hexagonal metal bar that seems to be running sideways the negative ground that I should be connecting my negative alligator tip to? What did the OP connect it to? I can't tell what went wrong by this picture (maybe my eyes just aren't serving me well today)
Look at the third picture from above and it will be clear where it was connected.
It is fine to use the hexagonal bar for connection. I have used it several times.

·
Registered
226 Posts
^ The Audi SA that I spoke with (who spoke with the foreman who is an R8 "master technician") said to connect the negative clip to the ground bar, not the battery. Also, the owners manual says the same thing.

Your car is a 2010, mine is 2022, obviously something must have changed in the ensuing 12 years? I'm no expert, but I just don't want to damage my battery
I do not want to start a thing here... but I agree.

In my experience I try NOT to connect to the negative battery terminal directly when jumping a car, or connecting a hard wired charger.

Why?

Voltage spikes can damage the ECM. Does it happen often, no. Does it happen, certainly. In my early years I was awarded a scholarship from one of the big 3 auto mfg's and worked at a service shop through college, 8ish years in all roles. Trust me when I say this phenomenon happens. Grounding through the frame with that many amps shields the electrical system from spikes. Tough to tell a customer who had their vehicle towed in for leaving the headlights on we shorted the ECM attempting to jump it.

The same goes for welding anything on a vehicle, disconnect BOTH sides of the battery, or install an isolator. Again... "your muffler install went great, but your car does not start because we fried the ECM while welding it on."

My hard wired tender port connects directly at the positive side, the negative has an OEM triple square bolt grounding close to the battery where a grounding strap is right near by; but through the frame, through the grounding strap, and then to the battery.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts

Yes that is quite possible given the improvements in technology. Best to go with your tech's advice then on this.

·
Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
680 Posts
^ Ahh, just saw this. So the ground is that hexagonal shaped metal bar, right? LOL, I just want to make sure I don't fry my cables either, I'm doing this tomorrow
Yeah….the one with the big - on the end. No improvements in technology, one with a +, one with a -, you’re not arming a missile guidance system here.

·
Registered
Audi R8 V10
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hello thanks for the reply the thinks is that the cable that connects to the trunk light the brown cable is completely fused, melted so I’m going to replace the whole cable now my worrying is that the cable on the car which you can see from the pics is also melted this goes down inside the front car into a bigger cable which is all taped now for how long do I need to go in order to fix the cable ? See the pics
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
Audi R8 V10
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have always connected my ctek to the battery directly the problem wasn’t caused by it the problem is that I connected the big negative cable from my other car battery to the little negative which is next to the battery window in the trunk, more stupid then this I couldn’t be 🥲

·
Registered
Audi R8 V10
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Look this is the cable which is on the car I put the arrow for you to see the direction which is in the front left side of the car, the burnout cable was the brown but I’m not sure if I need to change also the red striped purple and the little black white striped cable too as the brown was kind of sticking on them but they didn’t fuse. Tonight I stripe away the take gif almost all the length of 50 cm which is the size before getting into the bigger cable down which is really in a place that I can’t unwire it, actually I’m worrying to make a mess 😰 because space is very tight and that cable goes right straight the passenger side just under the passenger wiper ….. now after about 40 cm the cable is not melted like the one upper but I feel is harder then normal ….

1 - 20 of 27 Posts