Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Audi R8 V10
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Tomorrow I will show you the pics of the cable conditions to see if I need to go further ? Also BV anyone know how can I check if the cables are not in short circuit ?? All this happen because I went in the garage and the battery was completely dead I tried to recharge it but all the smoke start to came out

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would replace as much of the wire as necessary. If it means peeling back part of the main harness that it goes into, then so be it. Just make sure the insulation on the wire feels the same as the surrounding wire, and you're good. If it's harder, then it has been compromised and you need to go further back and check it.

I would disconnect the battery, both post, and charge it. With it being dead, depending on the charger, it could push a ton of amps and volts to get the battery to charge, way more then the cars electronics would like. Have always done this with a heavily discharged battery, didn't want spikes from the charger while charging taking something else out.

Reactions: FGAR8

·
Registered
Audi R8 V10
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
yes you are right in the case the battery is dead the best things to do is to disconnect it from the car and fully charge it alone it was my stupid mistake

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well, just tested out my new CTEK. In prying out that front battery panel I think it did loosen the carpet on one side by a bit, but whatever. Not sure why they designed it that way.

The weather still will allow for a few more drives, but gotta plan for winter storage pretty soon here :(

·
Registered
226 Posts
Audi uses Tesa tape on their harness:

My advice would be to start removing tape and go back until you see no physical damage, then go a bit further cutting and checking until you see good clean copper.

To check for short you need a DVOM and start testing continuity between the wires adjacent to the burned one.

Physically the burned wire will be crispy and burned, but internally the damage may go back father than the external damage shows. Bending the wire and listening, feeling for it being "crispy" and tracing it back are your best bets. Literally it could be burned all the way to its next connection, which if that is a just connector, it could go back beyond even that. The entire length of that wire saw the amperage that the short burned section you can see got, the entire run and the component at the end are suspect.

I would leave the battery disconnected until repaired to avoid any further shorts, they may have already occured.

Automotive electronics were a challenge for me until I melted the harness in a Toyota Camy, I learned fast, you will too. Start cutting that harness tape off.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Audi uses Tesa tape on their harness:

My advice would be to start removing tape and go back until you see no physical damage, then go a bit further cutting and checking until you see good clean copper.

To check for short you need a DVOM and start testing continuity between the wires adjacent to the burned one.

Physically the burned wire will be crispy and burned, but internally the damage may go back father than the external damage shows. Bending the wire and listening, feeling for it being "crispy" and tracing it back are your best bets. Literally it could be burned all the way to its next connection, which if that is a just connector, it could go back beyond even that. The entire length of that wire saw the amperage that the short burned section you can see got, the entire run and the component at the end are suspect.

I would leave the battery disconnected until repaired to avoid any further shorts, they may have already occured.

Automotive electronics were a challenge for me until I melted the harness in a Toyota Camy, I learned fast, you will too. Start cutting that harness tape off.
I learned my lesson here:

My battery died while riding! | Honda VTX Forum (vtxoa.com)

·
Registered
Audi R8 V10
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hello Thanks for the advice and thats what im going to do.
Im trying to figure out how to find the same electric cable,the brown one only as thats what damaged most so im going to replace that one only plus the 1J0 973 724,1J0973824

21 - 27 of 27 Posts