Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been looking for a 2014 R8 recently and came across this one locally for a steal. Only downside to me is it has over 61k miles, very high in my opinion especially for a 2014. The car is very clean and looks great nonetheless but wanted to get some advice regarding whether this is a risky buy or not. What things could start to wrong in terms of maintenance if any? I plan to get the extended warranty but just want to be cautious. Any advice appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
736 Posts
The motors are very stout, and if you buy an aftermarket warranty I don’t think the mileage would scare me personally. Especially if it’s a very cared for, clean example.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The motors are very stout, and if you buy an aftermarket warranty I don’t think the mileage would scare me personally. Especially if it’s a very cared for, clean example.
Appreciate your reply! That's what I was thinking as well, only other thing that kinda threw me off was when checking the CarFax there was a "Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced" in '17. I don't believe it may be a long standing issue but just brought up a red flag to me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
V10 or V8? Just curiosity... I know I have the V8 with 36k on the clock and I would not worry about 61k AT ALL. The first thing I WOULD do though is have the carbon cleaned out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
V10 or V8? Just curiosity... I know I have the V8 with 36k on the clock and I would not worry about 61k AT ALL. The first thing I WOULD do though is have the carbon cleaned out.
V8 my bad, and good to know thank you!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 14 V8 with 23K miles on it. I purchased a Fidelity warranty (6yr/60K miles) for ~$4K and it has paid for itself already. The MagRide replacement is covered under warranty at a cost of $9,300 (all 4 corners on mine are replaced). I changed the air filters myself with stock air filters (not K&N) and everything else has been pretty solid.

I regularly use the full rev range on mine, if you don't do that on the V8 it can experience carbon buildup. A cleaning is about $1200 depending on where you live, but this may be in-play based on the mileage of your example.

Please make sure that you have the MagRides checked to ensure they aren't leaking.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just replaced my Magride with H&R RSS+ IMMEDIATELY~ !! The Magride are pretty much guaranteed to leak at some point. So why not just put something in that A. handles better B. Rides just as nice and C.Won't EVER leak??

I bought mine from someone who never ever used the full rev range and it was FILTHY with carbon! ME? Since I put the REV9 SS exhaust on it, I don't think I drive BELOW 5k.... HAHAHAHAAHHAAHA!!!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
V8's are a bit more carbon prone over V10's but both are inherently plagued with buildup issues, no way around it. V8's should be cleaned every ~15-20K miles, and V10s around ~30ish. Be sure to thoroughly inspect injectors and replace if over 10 years old/50K miles or so.

And get a warranty if able, I have a 10yr/100K and only paid 4100$ for it. 100$ deductible, covers everything.

·
Registered
884 Posts
And save yourself any down-the-road I-didnt-know-this-was-broken heartache by getting a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI).

I have personally used CarInspector.us and AutomobileInspections.com.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just as a ref on buying any R8. FWIW, you can scan the computer and see what modes the car has primarily been driven in, as well amount of times it has been launched, and also approx clutch wear. (the last possibly not being 100% accurate).

I was surprised to see 80% of the 35k miles on my car were driven in automatic without sport mode activated.

Hard to imagine since I use sport and manual exclusively.

If you are buying to keep and enjoy, I would have no problems buying a car with that mileage.

If you want to buy with the option to sell in near future, understand you might be limited. If the price is right and you want to enjoy it, I have seen quite a few 70 even 80k mile cars with not much in the way of issues.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My 2014 V10+ with 37k miles has been great overall and the warranty made it even easier with great coverage assistance. I wouldn’t be concerned with your mileage and year model. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2011 v10 (6pd) with 57k miles......no issues whatsoever. I try to get it to 6k-7k rpms every week a few times. ;-)

where did you guys go to get 100k warranty for ~$4k ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Search the forums, but most all buy from Neil Brenner including myself, whom works at an Audi dealer. I’ve heard that prices have increased recently though. Good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
V8's are a bit more carbon prone over V10's but both are inherently plagued with buildup issues, no way around it. V8's should be cleaned every ~15-20K miles, and V10s around ~30ish. Be sure to thoroughly inspect injectors and replace if over 10 years old/50K miles or so.

And get a warranty if able, I have a 10yr/100K and only paid 4100$ for it. 100$ deductible, covers everything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
WinterRunner,
I have a 2018 V10 Plus with 1700miles on the clock; what company did you use for the 10yr/100K warranty, if you
don't mind telling?
Thanks,
viappc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lots of great info here. I was under the impression that the mag ride was an issue up until MY 2012. Not beyond. Any issues with the AC like earlier models? I am also looking at some
Point in a 14’. I heard 2014 V8 has a lot of nice pops and burps in the stock exhaust over the earlier model years as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did exactly so when I bought my 2011 V10 spyder in Nov 2018 Had 49k on the clock then, now she has... 61k (coincidence) I almost did not have to use the extended warranty other than for a burst pipe which leaked coolant. Shockers were replaced by previous owner Happy buyer by now

1 - 18 of 18 Posts