Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R8 (Farewell Edition)
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to get a February 2009 build allocation in late summer 2008. I have put down a deposit and have signed an order for the list price. With the changes we have seen in the market for R8’s do you all think there is a way get a discount from the list price I agreed to pay without blowing up the deal? I am not trying to screw over my dealer but I don’t want to overpay.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Im picking mine up Saturday after ordering in December of 2007. The longevity had to do with the Audi Exclusive options. From what I can determine, there's an 8k markup on the MSRP and thats before any options. I have a lot of optional equipment so they are probably making between $8.5k - $10k. I dont begrudge anyone for making a profit but I have no issue asking them for something off the MSRP. This is the 4th car Ive bought from that dealer and, as a matter of course, I am their client more than a customer and, as such, I fully expect some discounting. My goal is to get enough off to warrant a full set of Audi luggage through the group purchase this forum has negotiated in an earlier thread.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It certainly doesn't hurt. List is the going rate now.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I was able to get a February 2009 build allocation in late summer 2008. I have put down a deposit and have signed an order for the list price. With the changes we have seen in the market for R8’s do you all think there is a way get a discount from the list price I agreed to pay without blowing up the deal? I am not trying to screw over my dealer but I don’t want to overpay.
where is your location? I will be picking mine up soon, it will be nice if they make some gesture. I am not sure what one can expect realistically, even in such economy. There are two other sitting in the showroom.

·
Registered
482 Posts
mdc, I believe Livermore has one that's already discounting for about $8500 - '09 and new

·
Registered
943 Posts
You can try, but I wouldn't plan on getting below list on a new one. They be a little harder to sell now, but not that hard. I wouldn't expect to see under MSRP before the V10 arrives. There would be no incentive for it really.

·
Registered
485 Posts
mdc, I believe Livermore has one that's already discounting for about $8500 - '09 and new
ok, thx, let me check their site and see wut the specs are. $8.5K under msrp, wow... But my is an order, so...., how fast thing changed since last July. And no one would even put me on their list last Feb... ; <

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I picked mine up November 26th. They would not discount one penny. They even made me pay full price for Audi Care.

They did let me put $15K on a credit card to get FF miles.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I just bought an '09 from a New England dealer. Was able to negotiate for a total of around 1500.00 savings. 500.00 off MSRP, Transport from another dealer, and AudiCare included. Good Luck...I also was able to get 1000.00 from another dealer, they were just too far away. It can be done, just work with them on it. In your case with the order, you stand to lose your deposit if you walk away so it may be tougher, but they are not willing to make any bad feelings with any customers. It doesn't hurt and costs you nothing to try and negotiate something in your favor.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think it is very possible to get $ off esp with cars sitting the showroom.(depending on location). This economy is heading no where fast, they can let it sit there and wait for a buyer to get full msrp, or give some gesture and move the car out of there.

Back to the original question, how to negotiate for something that we already put a deposit down for? And would they really hold the deposit if you walk away? Bottom line is — they might loose a customer, and we end up starting from scratch, or buy a car that is not the exact specs we want? Any Audi rep on this forum? Help us out here ; >

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think it is very possible to get $ off esp with cars sitting the showroom.(depending on location). This economy is heading no where fast, they can let it sit there and wait for a buyer to get full msrp, or give some gesture and move the car out of there.

Back to the original question, how to negotiate for something that we already put a deposit down for? And would they really hold the deposit if you walk away? Bottom line is — they might loose a customer, and we end up starting from scratch, or buy a car that is not the exact specs we want? Any Audi rep on this forum? Help us out here ; >
Did you have a signed contract stating a msrp deal? If not, there wouldn't be any issue with this. If you did, then it might get a little sticky. I've mentioned in a previous post, someone I know ordered a car from Oakland Audi and they tried to shaft him with a $20k markup when via contract it was supposed to be msrp (this was about 2 mos ago). In his case, the dealer did not honor the initial pricing, so he demanded and received his deposit back.

It definitely doesn't hurt as the economic terrain is drastically different from one year ago. The market rate for these cars should be the same. Good luck and let us know how things go

·
Registered
485 Posts
Did you have a signed contract stating a msrp deal? If not, there wouldn't be any issue with this. If you did, then it might get a little sticky. I've mentioned in a previous post, someone I know ordered a car from Oakland Audi and they tried to shaft him with a $20k markup when via contract it was supposed to be msrp (this was about 2 mos ago). In his case, the dealer did not honor the initial pricing, so he demanded and received his deposit back.

It definitely doesn't hurt as the economic terrain is drastically different from one year ago. The market rate for these cars should be the same. Good luck and let us know how things go
Thank you, yes, I remembered that post, that is just plain stupid for any dealer to pull a stunt like that. I did not sign anything, just the $5K deposit. I will definitely ask, and keep you all posted. Maybe they will give me a key chain like Porsche did 4 years ago...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hope it works out for ya

·
Registered
482 Posts
The only side I rarely drive to is the East Bay. Otherwise, I'm all over for work. Now in Germany.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Prices are definitely dropping along with demand.

Local dealer has a red car sitting at the mall by the front door in the food court -- for everyone to see, touch, and scratch...

It's going nowhere fast. Unbelieveable.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's holding up fairly well if you compare it to the F430s and 360s. Even the Scuds can be had for msrp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 2 new R8's on the floor (both manual one white one black) i will give one up to another dealer in CA if I get no interest in the next 24 hrs.

Pat (314) 313-4331

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have 2 new R8's on the floor (both manual one white one black) i will give one up to another dealer in CA if I get no interest in the next 24 hrs.

Pat (314) 313-4331
Discounting?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts