Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Make it easy and buy 19" rims, the higher profile tires will drive better and you'll have more choices and room to match F and R tires. 19X9F and 19X12R with the proper offsets give you good choices for rubber in 245/35/19F and 325/30/19R with Michelin 4S street tire to Michelin Cup2 or Pirelli TrofeoR trackday tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually have this same question but for GEN1. I just bought some new wheels, 20x9 and 20x12 and am wondering what would be the best tire options. I'll run either PS4S or the new Continental Sport Contact 7.

There are the tire options I'm considering:

1) 255/30/20 front and 325/25/20 in the back (this fitment has been verified by several forum members and seems to work well)

2) 245/30/20 front and 315/30/20 in the back (haven't seen anybody verify this)

3) 255/30/20 front and 325/30/20 in the back (haven't seen anybody verify this)

---

Would really appreciate some input on this.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
1,436 Posts
I am ordering new vossen wheels and wanted to know if I could install the above size on my 2017 R8. Any suggestions what rim size should I ask vossen to make? Attached is the rim. Car is black
sure you could. And Vossen should be helping you with fitment per the look you are trying to achieve. Also are you lowering the car? If so, how much? That's another question they should be asking you. Next question: Are you planning to do a twin-turbo in the future? If so then you might want to dial down the wheel diameters so you can fit Toyo R888R drag radials.

If you are planning to keep car NA or supercharge. And you are planning to lower the car. Then I will tell you exactly what my wheel specs are.

R: 21 x 12.5" with a Michelin PS4S "acoustic touch" 325/25/21 tire.
F: 20x 9" with Michelin PS4S 255/30/20 tire.

this setup will keep your overall wheel diameters to within 1% of OEM. And will give you a flush look as the rear tire tucks in at the top bc of lowering. If you do not lower the car then the top of tire might stick out a bit.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Premium Member
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
1,436 Posts
Also, wheel offsets depend on A: the wheel spoke design, and if its a mono or a 2-piece. Also the look you are trying to achieve like a concave look or a deep-dish. Vossen has outfitted many many wheels for our R8's so they will know the perfect offsets so wheels don't poke out, rub calipers, or get too close to the suspension.

Oh btw, If you have CCB's then the concavity of the front wheels is limited bc of the massive caliper. AL13 did my wheels and they designed the max convavity for all 4 according to the wheel design I chose. In the pics you can see the front wheels centers are deeper than the spokes. And i still have about 5mm of room before they rub the caliper. And you can see the rears are deep as hell.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I actually have this same question but for GEN1. I just bought some new wheels, 20x9 and 20x12 and am wondering what would be the best tire options. I'll run either PS4S or the new Continental Sport Contact 7.

There are the tire options I'm considering:

1) 255/30/20 front and 325/25/20 in the back (this fitment has been verified by several forum members and seems to work well)

2) 245/30/20 front and 315/30/20 in the back (haven't seen anybody verify this)

3) 255/30/20 front and 325/30/20 in the back (haven't seen anybody verify this)

---

Would really appreciate some input on this.
Thanks!
For Gen 1 cars with those wheel sizes, you'll want to run 245/30 fronts and 325/25 rears. The 30 aspect ratio rears will be much larger in diameter and not a good idea for the AWD system. Some guys have run 255/30 fronts with the 325/25 rears but you will have a higher change of rubbing, especially if your car is lowered. What is the wheel offsets front and rear?

·
Registered
3 Posts
For Gen 1 cars with those wheel sizes, you'll want to run 245/30 fronts and 325/25 rears. The 30 aspect ratio rears will be much larger in diameter and not a good idea for the AWD system. Some guys have run 255/30 fronts with the 325/25 rears but you will have a higher change of rubbing, especially if your car is lowered. What is the wheel offsets front and rear?

Thanks for getting back to me!
So the wheels are ET50 and ET40.
9' in the front and 12' in the back.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
my wheels don’t rub at all with a 325/25/21 and 255/30/20’s.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
So take it from me. With my setup you WILL NOT RUB guaranteed!! Verified by me and AL13 wheels who designed the entire setup for me and for countless other R8’s and Huracans.

Always let your wheel manufacturer provide the wheel specs if they have experience w our cars. They know how to dial them in perfectly.

As you see with my car my wheels sit perfectly.

·
Registered
172 Posts
So take it from me. With my setup you WILL NOT RUB guaranteed!! Verified by me and AL13 wheels who designed the entire setup for me and for countless other R8’s and Huracans.

Always let your wheel manufacturer provide the wheel specs if they have experience w our cars. They know how to dial them in perfectly.

As you see with my car my wheels sit perfectly.
That's the key though. If the offset isn't perfect, you'll be sorry and the big difference is you have a GEN 2 car. The GEN 1 cars are tighter in the rear wheel wells. In addition, your size differential is over 5% front to rear. Also not a good idea on the GEN 1 cars. Apples to oranges.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me!
So the wheels are ET50 and ET40.
9' in the front and 12' in the back.
I think you'll be just fine with those offsets, even lowered. Mine are 20x9, 20x12 with +38 and +48. No problems and I'm lowered about 1.5cm. Here's a pic to show what yours would look like Only 2mm difference between yours and mine with yours being inset into the wheelwells ever so slightly more.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you'll be just fine with those offsets, even lowered. Mine are 20x9, 20x12 with +38 and +48. No problems and I'm lowered about 1.5cm. Here's a pic to show what yours would look like Only 2mm difference between yours and mine with yours being inset into the wheelwells ever so slightly more.

View attachment 281718
Looking good!
Thx for sharing

What size tires are you running on those wheels?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts