Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
I'll be one of the odd guys out here and say no. :)

1. Clean Lines. The R8 has beautiful, clean lines. Bolting on aero distracts from those gorgeous lines for me.

2. Functional or Looks Only? If it's a track variant (GT), or the car is doing track duty, I can understand it. But when it's for looks only, I can't help but think, "boy racer" when I see it. "My supercar wasn't super enough, so I added more bling!" That may not be fair, but I'll acknowledge my own stereotypes! :)

3. Dated. Most supercars these days have moved towards liberal use of integrated and active aero, and what comes "out of the box" is capable of massive speed and performance. Fixed components stuck on the car afterwards (for street use) not only looks obviously unnecessary, but it also feels a bit dated in design thinking.

4. Function. Aerodynamics is actually a science, so I'd hope that what I'm sticking on my car is actually improving the situation and not hurting it. For example, a spoiler producing too much down-force can actually produce understeer. Probably less concerning when talking about OEM parts that have been properly manufactured and tested to produce the desired effect, but highly questionable with many aftermarket manufacturers who are simply stamping out parts for aesthetics with no wind tunnel testing.

It's probably an unpopular opinion here, but you asked! :) If it helps, I feel the same about center lock wheels, racing seat harnesses, big fixed wings, and a number of others! Some people just like the look - and that's cool. For me, I want it to be purposeful... and ideally, even then, unnecessary - as I hate obstructing the look of a really well designed car.

·
Super Moderator
3,985 Posts
4. Function. Aerodynamics is actually a science, so I'd hope that what I'm sticking on my car is actually improving the situation and not hurting it. For example, a spoiler producing too much down-force can actually produce understeer. Probably less concerning when talking about OEM parts that have been properly manufactured and tested to produce the desired effect, but highly questionable with many aftermarket manufacturers who are simply stamping out parts for aesthetics with no wind tunnel testing.
Very valid comment.
As an example, the OEM GT canards produce downforce but not by wind pushing them down and holding the front end down. They actually cause vortices along the sides of the car, pulling more air out from underneath the chassis, hence producing more downforce. Pretty cool, eh?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Looks cheap and cheesy.

I know they work...but this is a 175k car we are talking about here.

That is very 10 plus years ago...

The viper acr and r8 gt had great results performance wise with this cheap way to add frontal downforce..

But they never looked good doing it.

Personally I say no ways.....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Agree with ezmaass. If the intent is cosmetic then it's really about whether you like it or not. If it's functional, then you have to question if they help or hurt. Without some kind of wind tunnel testing how do you know??? I am assuming that when Audi designed the car they did wind tunnel testing of all the R8 variants (V8, V10, Coupe, Spyder, GT, Competition, etc.) to ensure proper balance at speed. Any aftermarket add-on, who knows if it helps or hurts. Seat of the pants tests are easily fooled.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah, because you've got the wing and lip already.

Did you get this R8 from Edmonton at Pure Executive Auto back when it was stock??

21 - 33 of 33 Posts