Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I’m looking at getting a new Capristo exhaust for my 2018 Audi R8 V10 plus and want to make sure I’m doing the correct thing? Will it make the sound better or am I better sticking with the OEM stock exhaust?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks guys!!!

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,514 Posts
Better is a relative term as to what you think is better but the short answer is, YES. Most aftermarket exhaust will sound better than your OEM exhaust 100%

·
Registered
2015 Audi R8 V10 Plus
175 Posts
When I was exhaust shopping, I was considering Capristo as that seemed to be the most common recommendation. What turned me off from the Capristo was that an aftermarket valve control switch seemed to be required to open/close the valves (when you want it louder). I did not want to mess with an aftermarket switch and wanted to retain OEM functionality.

I ended up going with a Larini, as I liked how it was connected to the OEM exhaust valve feeds so it functioned exactly as the OEM exhaust valves function and I could just retain the use of my OEM 'sport' button when I wanted it to be louder. Very happy with the sound, huge improvement over OEM.

But I agree the Capristo does sound great so I'm sure you'll be happy if you go that route and are happy to use a switch to control the valves.

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
When I was exhaust shopping, I was considering Capristo as that seemed to be the most common recommendation. What turned me off from the Capristo was that an aftermarket valve control switch seemed to be required to open/close the valves (when you want it louder). I did not want to mess with an aftermarket switch and wanted to retain OEM functionality.

I ended up going with a Larini, as I liked how it was connected to the OEM exhaust valve feeds so it functioned exactly as the OEM exhaust valves function and I could just retain the use of my OEM 'sport' button when I wanted it to be louder. Very happy with the sound, huge improvement over OEM.

But I agree the Capristo does sound great so I'm sure you'll be happy if you go that route and are happy to use a switch to control the valves.
Did your '15 have the factory standard exhaust or the sport exhaust before you swapped?

I have the sport exhaust, which is a good deal louder than the standard exhaust, but it's certainly not as loud as something like Larini or Capristo. I agree with your approach regarding retaining use of the Sport button for valve control. After market controls and switches would bother me.

·
Registered
2015 Audi R8 V10 Plus
175 Posts
Did your '15 have the factory standard exhaust or the sport exhaust before you swapped?

I have the sport exhaust, which is a good deal louder than the standard exhaust, but it's certainly not as loud as something like Larini or Capristo. I agree with your approach regarding retaining use of the Sport button for valve control. After market controls and switches would bother me.
Unfortunately, my 2015 did not have the OEM sport exhaust. I was actually really curious about that exhaust because I wanted to know how it sounded in comparison to the standard exhaust - and whether it would be enough additional sound to satisfy my craving for a little more noise. Similar to you, I generally tend to prefer 'fully stock' but I found the standard exhaust to be a bit too restrictive and wasn't doing the V10 justice. With the amount of labor involved for an exhaust swap, it was hard to make a decision on the sport exhaust without hearing it too much - and I didn't want the car taken apart twice if I still wasn't satisfied, so I was determined to get it right the first time! Ultimately, with the lack of information/availability of the 2015 OEM sport exhaust, I ended up going aftermarket with the Larini. But like you said, an aftermarket control/switch for the valves was a non-starter for me...I wanted something that was "plug and play" that retained all OEM functionality and required no further modification to the car. I have been pretty happy with the Larini - it might be a touch too loud at the limit, but overall it has improved the sound greatly and given the V10 more of an exotic note.

Interestingly, as luck would have it - a 2015 OEM sport exhaust actually popped up for sale in the classifieds here shortly after I had my Larini installed. I still wonder about it sometimes. Would you say you are happy with the sound of your sport exhaust or have you ever considered going aftermarket? Is it 'just enough' boom or do you sometimes find yourself wanting a little more? I wish I would have had the ability to hear one in person to make more of an informed decision.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Hi Guys,

I’m looking at getting a new Capristo exhaust for my 2018 Audi R8 V10 plus and want to make sure I’m doing the correct thing? Will it make the sound better or am I better sticking with the OEM stock exhaust?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks guys!!!
Don’t know what your car sounds like now ? Just got the Capristo for my V8 ‘14 coupe couldn’t be happier way better than stock IMHO

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
Unfortunately, my 2015 did not have the OEM sport exhaust. I was actually really curious about that exhaust because I wanted to know how it sounded in comparison to the standard exhaust - and whether it would be enough additional sound to satisfy my craving for a little more noise. Similar to you, I generally tend to prefer 'fully stock' but I found the standard exhaust to be a bit too restrictive and wasn't doing the V10 justice. With the amount of labor involved for an exhaust swap, it was hard to make a decision on the sport exhaust without hearing it too much - and I didn't want the car taken apart twice if I still wasn't satisfied, so I was determined to get it right the first time! Ultimately, with the lack of information/availability of the 2015 OEM sport exhaust, I ended up going aftermarket with the Larini. But like you said, an aftermarket control/switch for the valves was a non-starter for me...I wanted something that was "plug and play" that retained all OEM functionality and required no further modification to the car. I have been pretty happy with the Larini - it might be a touch too loud at the limit, but overall it has improved the sound greatly and given the V10 more of an exotic note.

Interestingly, as luck would have it - a 2015 OEM sport exhaust actually popped up for sale in the classifieds here shortly after I had my Larini installed. I still wonder about it sometimes. Would you say you are happy with the sound of your sport exhaust or have you ever considered going aftermarket? Is it 'just enough' boom or do you sometimes find yourself wanting a little more? I wish I would have had the ability to hear one in person to make more of an informed decision.
I've never been able to compare it to an after-market side by side, so it's hard to say. I've heard it side by side with a standard exhaust, and it's considerably more aggressive. But, I expect it's not as aggressive as many after-market options that can get very loud. In non-sport mode (valves closed), it's noticeable by won't turn heads. In sport mode, it's very nice - not too loud but a really nice tone and volume. At wide open throttle it has a refined note, great volume, but never feels "shouty." This works for me, but it won't be the choice for those who want the loudest option. I've been very satisfied with it. I think if it was much louder it would risk becoming a bit too much in some contexts. It's probably the way Audi should have built the standard exhaust.

I think you made a great choice, though - Larini is one of the very best, and preserving the integrated controls makes it a great seamless option. The standard exhaust is just too quiet, so if you're going to swap it out, going with one that you can hear and get informed-on makes the most sense.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe Vorsteiner wing/front lip 1016 side skirts, Capristo Exhaust
687 Posts
Mine is a 2017 Plus model had the valve controller standard. My decision was the Capristo because when closed it sounds very close to stock. Open and it screams.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts