Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently purchased a car cover and I want to make sure to follow good practice to make sure I do not damage the paint.

Once the car has been cleaned and covered, then taken for a drive. Do you guys cover it straight up once it’s cooled down? Or do you use a microfibre/ California brush to get dust off the car before covering it back up?

Or is it even best to not cover it up till after the next wash? My garage gets very dusty so i’d really prefer to cover it.

Any opinions/advice will be truly appreciated.

Kind regards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool down and cover, my garage is dusty too.
I’ve got a lightweight cover like yourself, it’s microfibre lined so hopefully shouldn’t make any marks after a drive, as long as the car is not dirty of course

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I’ve got a lightweight cover like yourself, it’s microfibre lined so hopefully shouldn’t make any marks after a drive, as long as the car is not dirty of course

Exactly, if it's dirty I don't cover it either, I've got two covers one is ultra lightweight which I use daily and a microfibre lined one for longer term coverage.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There is not a lot of dust in my garage so I only use a cover for winter storage.
IMAG0139[1].jpg
IMAG0138[2].jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thats a nice cover , is it for indoors only or can be used outdoors as well ?
I doesn't look water resistant so I guess it is only intended for inside use(Audi OEM).

·
Registered
581 Posts
Car covers, of any variety scare me. The smallest particulate caught between the cover and paint will produce the sandpaper effect. The only way I would ever even consider a cover is if the car was just thoroughly washed. A good ceramic coating will protect far better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice cover. Sucks having to pack up for the winter though. I love watching those palm trees streak by with the top down...buts it’s pretty steamy down here in August.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I agree that car covers are tricky because any dust/debris will rub up your clear coat. At the same time I am too OCD to just leave it between car washes. So I do a waterless wash between every drive, and cover it up with car cover, with a microfiber blanket over the entire car as protection, even though i have ceramic coating and clear bra. Ceramic coating does nothing to protect against scratches and swirls, no matter how they advertise it. It only makes stuff less likely to stick to paint and makes car wash and drying easier, thus minimizing "scrubbing" or abrasion from drying (if you blow dry the car and only wipe the loose ends). I have more cars than garage space so most of my cars are covered sitting outside. I would never put a car cover over a dirty car, unless it's clear bra fully then i would do that temporarily until i have time to wash it. Also watch out for tight fitting car covers like the Audi OEM ones, they makes it even more likely to swirl the clear coat throughout the whole car due to the tight fitting nature, a loose fit is much better (which only risk swirling the roof, spoiler, rear fenders etc. basically the contact surfaces)
If you have a garage I would either wait between car washes (if you are not too OCD), or do a waterless spray wipe down and then cover it up. You might have to do paint correction annual or biannually depending how your swirl is holding up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree that car covers are tricky because any dust/debris will rub up your clear coat. At the same time I am too OCD to just leave it between car washes. So I do a waterless wash between every drive, and cover it up with car cover, with a microfiber blanket over the entire car as protection, even though i have ceramic coating and clear bra. Ceramic coating does nothing to protect against scratches and swirls, no matter how they advertise it. It only makes stuff less likely to stick to paint and makes car wash and drying easier, thus minimizing "scrubbing" or abrasion from drying (if you blow dry the car and only wipe the loose ends). I have more cars than garage space so most of my cars are covered sitting outside. I would never put a car cover over a dirty car, unless it's clear bra fully then i would do that temporarily until i have time to wash it. Also watch out for tight fitting car covers like the Audi OEM ones, they makes it even more likely to swirl the clear coat throughout the whole car due to the tight fitting nature, a loose fit is much better (which only risk swirling the roof, spoiler, rear fenders etc. basically the contact surfaces)
If you have a garage I would either wait between car washes (if you are not too OCD), or do a waterless spray wipe down and then cover it up. You might have to do paint correction annual or biannually depending how your swirl is holding up.
I’ve heard stories of waterless washes still leaving swirl marks, as the spray is unlikely to remove all debris. How have you found it ?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I’ve heard stories of waterless washes still leaving swirl marks, as the spray is unlikely to remove all debris. How have you found it ?

yes it's not foolproof, but your car looks clean all the time on every single drive, no matter how long u let it sit. It's also a big time saver. We love cars but time is valuable, i have to find a compromise than washing and detailing all the cars that's like a full time job. I have done this for about 3 years now, and some cars need annual ceramic coat touchup and a paint correction clean up, some requires it once every 2 years..it depends on how soft the paint is and how often u drive it (affects how dirty the car cover gets). I tend to replace covers at least once a year. Ceramic coating helps with waterless wash, because you can wipe things off using very little force and a nice clean towel. I find clear bra the entire car is still the best: easiest to clean waterless, paint is fully protected, but it's pricey at 5-7k and at most last 7 years before it starts to yellow.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got the same cover as fastspek and I throw it on after a drive. I put the cover in wash every couple of months too as it accumulates dust and dirt. Ideally it would be best to wash it with water after each drive before the cover but its too much of a pain. My car has been ceramic coated though so it probably mitigates some of the marks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts