Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from the interest in the Bang and Olufsen article in the Car Magazine ... our resident scanner magician has sent me some images ... having uploaded them ... those not able to buy the March 2007 edition can now have a read.

Page 1 and 2
Page 3 and 4

Enjoy!

·
Registered
367 Posts
"The first thing Audi said to us is how much does it weigh"...and then they don't tell us!

I'm sure it sounds great, but the standard system should be adequate and when I want a symphony, I'll roll down the windows!

·
Registered
617 Posts
"The first thing Audi said to us is how much does it weigh"...and then they don't tell us!

I'm sure it sounds great, but the standard system should be adequate and when I want a symphony, I'll roll down the windows!

It really is a must have from a resale point of view, besides when you have the other half in the car they generally do not want to listen to engine sounds - you need to put some more acceptable sounds on.

Perhaps the next thread should be "what music will you play in your new R8"

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nice, and yes its a must have. But when you choose it you must also choose the CD-Changer. Playing MP3 on a B&O set :/

Does anyone know if the Nav Plus is internally upgraded (faster processor), mine in my S4 (2004) is sometimes slow with processing.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Why didn't Audi fit a dedicated DVD Nav where the CD changer is supposed to fit? Quite frankly I would prefer to use the single CD/DVD option for music rather than for NAV as in Porsche/Mercedes. As far as MP3 does it not depend on the bitRate that the Audio is copied to? After all B&O have MP3 players and audio which both play and create high quality MP3 on SD cards. Save the money on the CD changer and buy a B&O system for the home, although I suspect you may need a little more cash to add to the CD changer saving:)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Why didn't Audi fit a dedicated DVD Nav where the CD changer is supposed to fit? Quite frankly I would prefer to use the single CD/DVD option for music rather than for NAV as in Porsche/Mercedes. As far as MP3 does it not depend on the bitRate that the Audio is copied to? After all B&O have MP3 players and audio which both play and create high quality MP3 on SD cards. Save the money on the CD changer and buy a B&O system for the home, although I suspect you may need a little more cash to add to the CD changer saving:)
Even with the highestbitrate some tones are hearable compressed, it's minimal but still hearable.

That's my opinion though.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Even with the highestbitrate some tones are hearable compressed, it's minimal but still hearable.

That's my opinion though.
Guilty, you are quite possibly perfectly correct.

imho ... unless you can make an MP3 track without compressing it ... or restricting the range of sound recorded ... there will always be a marginal loss in the overall sound quality (i.e. the higher, or lower, wavelengths of sound would be omitted from any track recorded in MP3 format) ... in fact I don't know if it is possible to convert a track to MP3 without loss of sound quality.

Without knowing the range of sound that teh B&O system and speakers are capable of producing ... or knowing the limitations of the highest quality MP3 format ... it's not possible to know whether you could record a music file without loss of sound when it's played back ... via the MP3 option on an SD card ... through the B&O system in the R8.

Someone would have to obtain the full and complete technical data relating to the output capabilities of the B&O system in the R8 ... as well as someone finding out the limitations of recording tracks in the MP3 format.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Guilty, you are quite possibly perfectly correct.
LOL Nicely stated :)

Without knowing the range of sound that teh B&O system and speakers are capable of producing ... or knowing the limitations of the highest quality MP3 format ... it's not possible to know whether you could record a music file without loss of sound when it's played back ... via the MP3 option on an SD card ... through the B&O system in the R8.
My current Nav Plus does not support high bitrate everytime, sometimes it hangs. 192 is working, but still does have some hearable qualityloss (I have now the Bose system in my S4). Higher bitrates do give compatability problems in my car. I'm not sure if the R8 will have the same problems.

You should think that the quality of the B&O system is that high that any qualityloss could be heard. But maybe not. I'm nog taking the risk, the changer is a cheap option en sits nicely between the seats.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you buy the B&O for the quality of the audio ... you will no doubt be putting CDs in the changer to listen to the CD rather than fill the slot ... if you buy the B&O for maintaining resale values ... I suspect you'll find either a CD or memory card with MP3 tracks on will do.

Just ... imho you understand.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you buy the B&O for the quality of the audio ... you will no doubt be putting CDs in the changer to listen to the CD rather than fill the slot ... if you buy the B&O for maintaining resale values ... I suspect you'll find either a CD or memory card with MP3 tracks on will do.

I didn't think about it in that way, but you have a point here.

But also, my wife (hehe) buys CD's and when she bought them she wants to listen to them right away in the car, with the changer it's easy to do that. Without it I'll have to swap the Navi-DVD for the Audio-CD.

And yes, that's a luxury problem, so is the whole R8 :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
But if you are buying the B&O for resale appeal then surely you need the CD changer too for resale appeal?

Most of my music is now downloaded and I prefer having all my faves on one medium rather than jiggling CDs around particularly when I only like a couple of tracks per CD so the only reason I might add the changer is for the resale.

I do wish Audi had a separate drive for the satnav but I guess I dont use the navi that often and as stated above I dont use CDs that often so it probably wouldnt be too much of a hindrance.

Some may argue that with the B&O system you should be playing CDs but my guess is it will make MP3s sound tons better too!:cool:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Can the changer be added later if you find you need it?
Not very easy, the backplane behind the seats is different when you order the changer.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I think you'll find in the home AV market, you don't buy B&O for audio quality- you buy it for the design. If you want quality, you'd buy high end names such as Mark Levinson , Krell, Lexicon, Meridian etc etc...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think you'll find in the home AV market, you don't buy B&O for audio quality- you buy it for the design. If you want quality, you'd buy high end names such as Mark Levinson , Krell, Lexicon, Meridian etc etc...
Actually ... you do have a point there ... although I'd hope the B&O system would give you better sound quality than the standard system!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Actually ... you do have a point there ... although I'd hope the B&O system would give you better sound quality than the standard system!
I sat in the R8 at the Essen motorshow and I actually had the change to try the B&O system in the car. It sounded powerfull and very balanced.

I don't know how the standard system sounds, but the B&O was amazing!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts