Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was sitting idle at a light and the engine turned off suddenly. Wouldn’t start again, didn’t make any noise when turning the key to ignition. I was on my way to get gas, had about 30 miles of range but I figured maybe it was wrong and I actually ran out? However after adding a bit over a gallon of gas the car still wouldn’t start. It made noises twice like it was almost going to but then it just didn’t ignite I guess. Didn’t make noises on subsequent attempts.

Any idea what could be wrong? This is a manual transmission V8 I’ve had since 2011 with like 89k miles so I guess could be a lot of things.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thinking further, the issue is probably your alternator.

Bad alternator—battery not charging—battery dies—spark plugs not lighting due to failing alternator and dead battery, thus car dies at idle

·
Registered
141 Posts
If the battery maintained charge the charging system is likely fine, when that has happened to me it has been a slow stumbling transition from running to not running as the system amperage drops low enough the ignition can't fire and the fuel pump quits running.

Look towards ignition system failure, cam/crank sensor, fuel pump lost, etc.

Can you hear the fuel pumps run when you open the door/cycle the key? That is where I would start with those miles.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hmm, what exactly should I be listening for and how, just when unlocking and opening the door? The lithium iron battery will hold charge for 2 or 3 weeks without running easily.

there have been bad smells coming from the engine bay past few months, like if something was burnt, maybe like a rotten egg smell, and occasionally a bit of smoke from the left side of the engine bay which quickly dissipates. That never seemed healthy to me, but couldn’t find the source without engine out.

·
Registered
644 Posts
My vw passat suddenly died at the lights about 2 months ago - start stop kicked in and the car just died. Straight up. Wouldn't turn over. New battery all good. Battery was about 4 years old.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hmm, what exactly should I be listening for and how, just when unlocking and opening the door? The lithium iron battery will hold charge for 2 or 3 weeks without running easily.

there have been bad smells coming from the engine bay past few months, like if something was burnt, maybe like a rotten egg smell, and occasionally a bit of smoke from the left side of the engine bay which quickly dissipates. That never seemed healthy to me, but couldn’t find the source without engine out.
Sounds like you need to take her in...

Fuel pumps make a high pitch electrical motor sound when they turn on with the drivers door opening or the key being cycled without cranking, you should hear it.

Drivers side oil leaks include valve cover, cam seal, timing cover seal, and oil pump is over there on the bottom.

Mine would smell and smoke after the first few minutes when residual burned off. I was able to remove the drivers rear engine heat shield after pulling the crossmember and could see a valve cover leak at the "rear" corner. With removal the outer edge along the manifold had a few spots where oil was obvioulsy leaking. Fingers crossed it's fixed.

·
Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
295 Posts
Mine was very low on fuel once - indicated 10 or 5 miles range left and It cut out on me leaving my estate which has a tiny incline joining the main road. It never happened again and I put it down to having very little fuel in.

·
Premium Member
3,743 Posts

The only sound on opening the drivers door is the hydraulic pump on a RTronic, the fuel pump runs when the ignition is switched on.

Reactions: V10MANUAL
1 - 14 of 14 Posts