Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
thanks for the video...i have a few audis that i don't use everyday but i do a healthy run once a week for 45min each with no traffic on the freeway/expressway. since you're in lockdown i'd rather put the r8 on a battery tender the whole time without even running it than starting it stationary for 5min only. when i do my runs i don't shut down the engine so the battery gets charged fully and i also run the a/c so the freon doesn't leak out from not being used. the r8 is the only audi that's on a battery tender at all times because i noticed that starting this car requires a lot of juice so the battery needs to be fully charged at all times. 2 things that i would disagree with you on the video is starting the r8 or any car for just a few minutes (like 5min) and shutting it down. 5min maybe a lot but not sufficient enough to charge the battery fully and it's not good for the engine as well for that little of a time to be running. 5min to me is just warming up my cars from a cold start without even moving them during warm ups. the next would be the car cover...my experience it is safer to leave the car outside under the sun without a car cover. why? because if you have a car cover on your car under the sun all that heat will be concentrated inside the interior and paint which can lead to paint damage and cracked leather seats and dash. this actually happened to one of my cars when i made an experiment...2 months under the sun with a car cover...paint got damaged and seats/dash cracked. so in my humble opinion i would have to disagree on those 2 things otherwise excellent video:).

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I agree with the comment above regarding NOT starting the car for only a few minutes at a time and letting it idle. As someone who needs to put the R8 away each winter, I simply prepare it for storage and hook it up to the trickle charger. I leave it that way for the winter and start it come the spring. Starting the car for short periods of time won't allow it to come to operating temperature, which is bad for the engine.

When starting it (even in the summer while it's being actively used, but certainly after storage), I turn the key to the aux position and let it sit there for 5 - 10 seconds. This lets the oil pumps work and gives the car time to get voltage up (you can watch it happen on the voltmeter) before trying to turn it over. Again, I do this regularly - just the way I start the car and it's happier for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the video...i have a few audis that i don't use everyday but i do a healthy run once a week for 45min each with no traffic on the freeway/expressway. since you're in lockdown i'd rather put the r8 on a battery tender the whole time without even running it than starting it stationary for 5min only. when i do my runs i don't shut down the engine so the battery gets charged fully and i also run the a/c so the freon doesn't leak out from not being used. the r8 is the only audi that's on a battery tender at all times because i noticed that starting this car requires a lot of juice so the battery needs to be fully charged at all times. 2 things that i would disagree with you on the video is starting the r8 or any car for just a few minutes (like 5min) and shutting it down. 5min maybe a lot but not sufficient enough to charge the battery fully and it's not good for the engine as well for that little of a time to be running. 5min to me is just warming up my cars from a cold start without even moving them during warm ups. the next would be the car cover...my experience it is safer to leave the car outside under the sun without a car cover. why? because if you have a car cover on your car under the sun all that heat will be concentrated inside the interior and paint which can lead to paint damage and cracked leather seats and dash. this actually happened to one of my cars when i made an experiment...2 months under the sun with a car cover...paint got damaged and seats/dash cracked. so in my humble opinion i would have to disagree on those 2 things otherwise excellent video:).
This is why I really enjoy this forum. Intelligent people giving solid feedback. I'm going to move the mini under the shade and then throw the cover on that should be the best of both worlds

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with the comment above regarding NOT starting the car for only a few minutes at a time and letting it idle. As someone who needs to put the R8 away each winter, I simply prepare it for storage and hook it up to the trickle charger. I leave it that way for the winter and start it come the spring. Starting the car for short periods of time won't allow it to come to operating temperature, which is bad for the engine.

When starting it (even in the summer while it's being actively used, but certainly after storage), I turn the key to the aux position and let it sit there for 5 - 10 seconds. This lets the oil pumps work and gives the car time to get voltage up (you can watch it happen on the voltmeter) before trying to turn it over. Again, I do this regularly - just the way I start the car and it's happier for it.
Thank you so much for the solid feedback. I don't have a battery tender and I can't buy one right now because the shops are closed. What should I do

·
Registered
227 Posts
Adding to the comments about NOT starting for short periods.

In aircraft it is a well known no-no to start an engine and not fully bring it up to operating temps.

It causes condensation inside the engine. Also when the engine is not running and the car is going through dew-point swings, inevitably some water gets into the engine. Think at any moment, some valves are always open, and also PCV system. That water vapor makes its way in and out of engine as temps swing. On the cooling cycle of cyclical swings, small amounts of condensation can happen.

SO.....when you start an engine, bringing it up to full operating temp, allows the oil to be above a temp to evaporate any moisture. If you start for just a few min, it is like putting drops of water into oil in a blender. You are building a nice emulsion. Done over and over, your destroying the lubricity of your oil.

Bringing it up to full temp, does not allow this to happen and excess moisture is evaporated out of the engine.

Done a few times now and again.....probably no biggie. Done over and over on a car in storage.....recipe for disaster. MUCH better off leaving engine without ever turning over.

I

·
Registered
V10 Spyder Facelift
69 Posts
Mines washed, waxed and under cover.

As we are allowed to go out here to buy food I am taking it out to the supermarket once a week for an hours drive. If that changes which I hope it doesn’t then I’ll put a tender on it.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Thank you so much for the solid feedback. I don't have a battery tender and I can't buy one right now because the shops are closed. What should I do
How old is the battery? When my battery was new, I left it the first winter without a battery maintainer - the car was fine. Started up after several months without starting. The car will shut down non-essential circuits the longer it sits. So, a newer/fresh battery may actually be fine for a few months. If the battery is older, a maintainer then becomes much more important if it's going to sit for weeks, no less months.

If you absolutely can't get your hands on a battery maintainer, I'd probably pop the frunk open and leave it sitting on the latches but not shut (you can lift it freely without actuating the latches). If the battery dies (and it may very well do so), you'll have easy access to it when the time comes to charge it up. Yes, there's an emergency manual release to pop the frunk, but some have experienced trouble with it in the past. So, to avoid a potential issue with the manual release, I'd probably choose to go this route.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have 4 infrequently used vehicles and have a C-tech battery minder for each. I make a practice of plugging in each time I return home and my batteries definitely like it.

I know some owners find it to be a hassle (I don't get that), so with each car being different, I devised a simplified method of uniquely plugging each one. My DB11 was the easiest, all I had to do buy a C-tech with a magnetic connection. The DB11 is factory pre-wired with a magnetic connection port mounted under the trunk lip so you don't even have to open the trunk.

Somewhere this forum there's a thread with picture's of how I mounted my C-tech in my 2015 R8 V12 so I could access it from just under the passenger side wind shied wiper without having to open the frunk.
Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts