Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Enthusiast first, vendor second.
Audi RS5 with a full modaholic treatment
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A few glamour shots of the actual discs. No R8 fitment yet (they're working on it!) and no R8 available for the shoot sadly. Even visually, they look far different than the normal chopped fiber CCB's. Should come in about 9 pounds or so (4kg approx).

·
Registered
147 Posts
They're saying it'll be a 6-8 week wait for the 380x34mm front rotors once they get the discs in hand for measurements. Do you have the base iron rotor brakes or the CCB's? The CCB kit is apparently going to be out first and it'll be a four-wheel upgrade, the OE sized 380x38mm fronts and 356x32mm rears. Once the 380x34mm disc is done for the base brake setup, you'll be able to use the 356x32mm rear disc for a full four-wheel upgrade.

Having driven iron rotor and CCB cars back to back, you can definitely feel the difference. I love CCB's on the street, will probably never purchase a car without them again. I know some feel differently but I've had a fantastic experience with them. Also, there's a new Brembo carbon ceramic pad option available which is very inexpensive and works as well as the OE pads. Have them on my vehicle now. 1/4 the cost of OE pads.

It'll just be nice to have a far less expensive, track-capable brake package. I won't track my car now as is due to the OE CCB's. I have to stick to the back roads of Mexico ;) No danger of overheating them there as I tend to enjoy those roads somewhat responsibly. But with COTA just down the road, I'm anxious to explore an F1 track. Used to live in Florida and was a regular track junkie at PBIR, Homestead and Sebring.
Tell me more about the brembo brake pads.

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Tell me more about the brembo brake pads.
They're Brembo part number 65016. The on e downside is they come with the little harmonic damper weights which negate using the balance springs. I simply drilled the weights out. It's an extra step but isn't hard. Actually working on a DIY front brake pad servicing video that I should have up in the next few weeks.

A few photos of the Brembo pads.

Notice the Pagid stamp on the back side.

If you go to Brembo's site, select an Audi RS5, 2014, and you'll see the pad come up. For some reason, they don't list it for the R8 despite everything being the same (same caliper, rotor, etc...the Audi OE pad number is the same for both cars). I sent a tech inquiry as to the addition of the little harmonic weights and have yet to receive a reply from them. I might have to ping them again. But if you read the details, it's an OE formula. These won't be as good as say a Pagid RSC1 or anything but they're definitely as good, if not better than the OE pads from my experience with them.

Hope that helps!

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Updated the first post with some of the latest information.

·
Premium Member
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
472 Posts
It’s funny. I have the brake chatter problem with my Gen2 R8 but bringing in for service appt. I asked the R8 tech to save the CCB pads so I have an extra switch when they swap them out. He said “Audi GmbH wants the pads back to inspect and says we have to hold them for a required amount of time. But after a few months of holding them in the service area they can give back to me. Lol”

I figured it’s always good to have a second set of the carbon ceramic pads since they’re so expensive.” Maybe can have them modified too so they don’t chatter.

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah that's just an odd answer from your dealer! Might be the case that they're waiting to see if Audi GmbH wants them back. Sometimes they'll say yes, sometimes no. I will say this...the RS5, with the exact same font brake setup, does not have the chatter issue. It's identical, down to the balance springs, pads, calipers, rotors, everything.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts