Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debating on carbon clean as part of “proactive” approach to maintenance (14’ V8, 30.5k miles). Question though. Obviously “proactive” = warranty not going to cover.

IF the car were to start misfiring down the road, would a procedure such as Carbon Clean be covered by Fidelity Platinum? As opposed to doing it proactively? Just debating with 30.5k miles on the car and the prior owners being in the Bay Area (known for stop and go traffic and coastal salt in the air). Thanks all 🙏🏻

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can't speak for the good ol' USA but not in a million years would that be covered in the UK and for it to get to the point of a misfire it would have been running under power for a long time
I would just get it done and enjoy your car

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just brought my '14 V8 with 19K miles in for service and asked the tech about a carbon clean. He said its totally unnecessary right now. My car is located in the NY/NJ area with stop and go traffic as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know! Bank that cash for a ceramic coating to the exterior paint and wheels!

I can't speak for the good ol' USA but not in a million years would that be covered in the UK and for it to get to the point of a misfire it would have been running under power for a long time
I would just get it done and enjoy your car
I just brought my '14 V8 with 19K miles in for service and asked the tech about a carbon clean. He said its totally unnecessary right now. My car is located in the NY/NJ area with stop and go traffic as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm booked in next week with Ricky for a walnut blasting carbon clean of the intake + new air filters + remap.
Will report back with the results and hopefully some before and after photos of the ports. It's on 27k but as I understand it the FSI engines do pick up quite a bit of carbon quite quickly....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please do! I am at 30.6k miles now on my 14’ V8, obviously balancing proactive vs reactive maintenance and cost to benefit of where to put cash into the car. I had heard that the remap in V8 generally seems not to bring in a good bang for the buck, HOWEVER like you contemplating the K&N airfilter. Possibly the combination will be best for the engine and bring noticeable performance/fuel efficiency improvements? Keep us all posted with your honest feedback after these updates!

I'm booked in next week with Ricky for a walnut blasting carbon clean of the intake + new air filters + remap.
Will report back with the results and hopefully some before and after photos of the ports. It's on 27k but as I understand it the FSI engines do pick up quite a bit of carbon quite quickly....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Had mine cleaned at 35k, and although I asked for pictures and didn't get them, I was assured that it was dirty. ha!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I will say this once. You SHOULD get a carbon clean every 15-20K miles, regardless of how you drive, what kind of gas you use, fuel additives, etc. FSI motors WILL get caked up on the back of the valves and when it gets bad enough, you can risk misfires and even worse if a large, hard piece of carbon works its way into the chambers. I had my RS4 cleaned 4 times in my 80K miles of ownership, my V8 R8 done once (@30K, bought at 28K), and will do my current V10 by 18K miles.

IT WILL NOT be covered by any kind of warranty, and it is inevitable, and a necessary part of upkeep on these machines. Every 15-20K miles, maybe 25K miles max.

A fair shop should charge around 1200$ for a V8, and closer to 14-1500 for V10. 1500$ every 20K miles is chump change guys, we drive R8's....

·
Registered
521 Posts
Carbon cleaning is a topic jousted around this forum quite often. I've read all the posts that speak of the mis-fires and other symptoms and wonder if I'm missing something. I maintain my V8 to the highest level and if I felt or witnessed a misfire or other performance issue that clearly displayed a "sick" car I'd be all over it like a rash. My car has 37K on it and upon start up it sounds fine at its elevated warm up Rev and then settles nicely back into its sewing machine smooth 900 rpm idle without fuss.

I drive my car most weekends and it gets "exercised" into the triple digits routinely and again, no shenanigans from the engine just buttery smooth pulls and that intoxicating sound we have all come to love from our cars. So, I guess my question is: How pronounced are these mis-fires? What other issues (if any) should we be looking for?

Many on the forum state in response that if your car has more then XXX # of miles on your engine then you need the carbon cleaning. Is it really that simple?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It really is that simple. There are factors such as fuel quality, detergents, oil used, etc that may impact the actual buildup degree, but it will absolutely happen no matter what, and at 15-20K miles, there will be plenty of buildup, certainly enough to warrant the cleaning.

AS for mis-fires, etc. It may not be occurring, but the chances if it occurring increase with the carbon buildup levels.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If you want to do some research yourself, google RS4 carbon issues. The B7 RS4 BNS (engine code) was one of the first widespread studied engine with fsi.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Debating on carbon clean as part of “proactive” approach to maintenance (14’ V8, 30.5k miles). Question though. Obviously “proactive” = warranty not going to cover.

IF the car were to start misfiring down the road, would a procedure such as Carbon Clean be covered by Fidelity Platinum? As opposed to doing it proactively? Just debating with 30.5k miles on the car and the prior owners being in the Bay Area (known for stop and go traffic and coastal salt in the air). Thanks all ����
I'm a big fan of preventative maintenance. Why?

- It often eliminates a bad surprise that interrupts an otherwise pleasant experience with the car.

- It can often be handled for less than the cost of a repair, should the un-maintained "thing" be allowed to fester.

- It allows you to keep enjoying the car in its best running condition.

In general, preventative maintenance is a good thing.

Now, with regard to the carbon cleaning, everything I've heard and seen around this forum over the years leads me to believe that 20k - 30k is about the right time. Folks have posted pics of cars within this mileage, and they were plenty caked up to warrant the cleaning.

On the topic of whether the warranty would cover it, it's a bit of a squishy one in my mind. My initial reaction would be: no, they would never cover it. In fact, Audi's APP states that if you FAIL to do proper maintenance and it causes an issue, they can deny the claim altogether due to your failure to maintain the car. But therein lies the opening, perhaps, to a counter argument. See, Audi's maintenance schedule doesn't call out the need to carbon clean the engine. It calls out a lot, but not this. So, if the ONLY solution to a mechanical problem (e.g. misfiring) was a carbon cleaning, I could actually see a legitimate argument for it to be covered under warranty as it's NOT considered part of the manufacturer's required maintenance.

If someone is willing to give it a go, I'd be curious how it turns out! :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Along the lines of ezmaass' response it's one of the reasons for my post.....that being....it isn't referred too by the manufacture as a "required" maintenance procedure at any mileage. I don't disagree with anyone on the issue of it "should" be done but it begs the question why isn't it stated as required by Audi if it can be so bad for the engine if not done? As we have noted these engines have been around for many years and I'm sure Audi would not want anyone suffering a catastrophic engine failure due to carbon build up which as mentioned is not mandated as "REQUIRED" by the manufacture. Wouldn't Audi be off the hook for this if determined the cause of the failure was due to the engine not being properly maintained per a required maintenance schedule?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Audi also claims lifetime fluids...... Direct injection buildup is a design flaw, we all know international conglomerates don't make mistakes. Audi carbon buildups are swept under the rug, so to speak.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Along the lines of ezmaass' response it's one of the reasons for my post.....that being....it isn't referred too by the manufacture as a "required" maintenance procedure at any mileage. I don't disagree with anyone on the issue of it "should" be done but it begs the question why isn't it stated as required by Audi if it can be so bad for the engine if not done? As we have noted these engines have been around for many years and I'm sure Audi would not want anyone suffering a catastrophic engine failure due to carbon build up which as mentioned is not mandated as "REQUIRED" by the manufacture. Wouldn't Audi be off the hook for this if determined the cause of the failure was due to the engine not being properly maintained per a required maintenance schedule?
Audi also claims lifetime fluids...... Direct injection buildup is a design flaw, we all know international conglomerates don't make mistakes. Audi carbon buildups are swept under the rug, so to speak.
Agreed on all fronts here. This is probably the reason why carbon cleaning COULD potentially be made as a legitimate claim against a warranty, though.

If the buildup lead to a problem that:

1. A mechanic diagnosed as related to carbon buildup in the engine, AND

2. Audi doesn't prescribe this as necessary maintenance, AND

3. The only solution was actually cleaning it out, THEN

It seems to me that there's potentially a good case to have the warranty cover it. Looking at my warranty (APP), it DOES state that proper maintenance is a responsibility of the vehicle owner, and lack of such maintenance could be cause for denied claims. However, it would be difficult to argue that carbon cleaning is proper maintenance if it's not prescribed by the manufacturer, who DOES, consequently, prescribe maintenance (down to things like lubricating hings) out to well beyond 100k miles.

So, I'm not a lawyer, but I do think it would make an interesting claim. If it's a design flaw (very much like A/C compressors that are known to break!), then the underwriter should be doing their job to bake in those considerations to the price. But, Audi's omission of this procedure as necessary maintenance, and the consumer's reasonable assumption that cars don't typically require this procedure, is arguably what puts the burden on the warranty.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
No third party extended warranty companies will cover de-carbon services. Its considered normal wear / maintenance.
My shop does many every week from R8's to Huracan and all VAG cars in between.
-Shawn

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just a quick follow up....yesterday I spoke with a very highly trusted and certified R8 mechanic here in Florida and he advised I get the Carbon Clean treatment at around 50-55K. He said he felt there was no reason to have this done before that time unless the owner feels its absolutely necessary. As with many things its really personal preference. With my car only doing on average 3500- 4000 miles per year and having no symptomatic issues I will probably hold off until at least my car reaches 40 - 45K. If I see a definitive drop off in performance or the stated mis-fires then I will reconsider. Happy Motoring everyone.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Just a quick follow up....yesterday I spoke with a very highly trusted and certified R8 mechanic here in Florida and he advised I get the Carbon Clean treatment at around 50-55K. He said he felt there was no reason to have this done before that time unless the owner feels its absolutely necessary. As with many things its really personal preference. With my car only doing on average 3500- 4000 miles per year and having no symptomatic issues I will probably hold off until at least my car reaches 40 - 45K. If I see a definitive drop off in performance or the stated mis-fires then I will reconsider. Happy Motoring everyone.
Case by case basis. Have had a plethora of R8 / RS4's with similar amounts of carbon build up from 25k to 45k.
Proactively speaking 45k is too long to put it off. For a reduction in performance on an already quasi under-preforming V8, anything you can get back power wise is a boon.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts