Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I install both of these on a 2018 R8 RWS today with a friend of mine. We have a full shop, so that helped tremendously. We were able to to install the front Carbon Fiber Sway Bar and Audi Sport's 3-way Coilover Kit in just under 5 hours. The front CF Bar is significantly easier to install on a RWS, as only the front steering rack needs to come out. The coilover kit was a simple swap out.

I haven't fully pushed it yet, but the ride feels more compliant and the steering feels more neutral. Overall, I am very happy with the setup so far. I am going to give it about two weeks to settle in before I do a front end alignment.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My coilovers are going on this week. What settings have you started with on the coilovers?

Was really surprised at the weight difference between the CF front sway bar and stock sway bar.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I lowered them all the way to the maximum. I used the "Basic" settings that are in the instruction manual. That is the middle of the road settings on the coilovers.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drove this all afternoon. I can say without a doubt that it transforms the car significantly. I haven't pushed it yet, so this is just on the street with spirited driving. This was installed on a RWS, so an AWD may behave differently. First, it make the car more neutral. The car feels like it is pivoting. Better feel in the steering. Car stays flatter. A smoother ride then the stock setup with lowering springs. Better bite in the front. Since you can oversteer in the RWS fairly easier, the better bite up front, neutralizes a bit of the oversteer.

The quality of this kit is top-notch. As you can expect with an OEM kit. Everything fit very easily. The parts looked great, and I had no issues with the install. This kit retailed back when it first came out, somewhere close to $11K. I purchased it for $5,800 all in. Very quick to install. About 2 hours or so, and a lot of that time was just unscrewing wheel liners and such. It is 3-way adjustable and the instructions provided by Audi clearly laid out how to set the adjustability.

The sway bar took the most time. Since my car was RWD, I didn't need to worry about disconnecting the drive shaft. I just needed to remove the steering to slide the bar through the space. Again, the quality of the bar is top notch. I cannot believe that Audi did not make a bigger deal about this bar in the press or during reviews. Again, everything fit well. One piece that is missing from all of these kits is extended bolts for the attachment point at the front sub assembly area. Since this was probably not designed as an upgrade kit, they assumed that you had long bolts already on the car. Since this was replacing a much smaller roll bar, the small bolts were not long enough to accommodate the wider diameter of this bar.

In my opinion, I feel like I have purchased some type of special edition R8. It really does give a big enough difference that you feel that you are driving a different car. I paid $5,800 for the coilovers and about $2,100 for the sway bar. So not a cheap investment. But I have always been a bit of a sucker for OEM performance parts.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Great write up. The sway bar has made a huge difference and can’t wait to drive this with the coilovers. Unfortunately I can’t lower it completely as I have the performance part front lip and I won’t clear my driveway with any further lowering from stock.

The Audi master tech that installed my front sway bar did say that long bolts were needed but not included also.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great write up. The sway bar has made a huge difference and can’t wait to drive this with the coilovers. Unfortunately I can’t lower it completely as I have the performance part front lip and I won’t clear my driveway with any further lowering from stock.

The Audi master tech that installed my front sway bar did say that long bolts were needed but not included also.
Let me know your thoughts on the coil-overs once they are on. The front lip that you have, is that the Audi Sport lip?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Let me know your thoughts on the coil-overs once they are on. The front lip that you have, is that the Audi Sport lip?
Yes mate. I installed the complete performance parts catalogue. The suspension was the last piece which I obtained from europrice. Will be installed once lockdown passes. I’ll report back on ride quality on some pretty average roads. I’m hoping to head to a racetrack once things open up abit more.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes mate. I installed the complete performance parts catalogue. The suspension was the last piece which I obtained from europrice. Will be installed once lockdown passes. I’ll report back on ride quality on some pretty average roads. I’m hoping to head to a racetrack once things open up abit more.
This is the only review that I have seen of the Performance Parts.

Audi R8 Performance Pack

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am curious about the spring rate because I am trying to compare the Ohlins TTX vs the Audi Performance Parts coilover set.
I have heard the standard TTX are really stiff and brutal on the road. I think they are like 800 pound springs but not sure.
I cant decide if its worth it to do the coilovers but hopefully you guys that are installing them can give some real world feedback.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was considering the Ohlins as well. Here is what I considered. The Ohlins was $5,590. The Audi Sport kit was $5,800 for me (they were almost $11K retail a few months ago). So it was a bit of a wash. The Audi Sport kit is 3 way adjustable, the Ohlins 2-way. I figured the Audi Sport would improve resale value as it was an OEM kit, compared with an aftermarket kit. I am always a sucker for OEM parts. I feel that they are engineered better for fit and finish, as well as usage. As always, I was not disappointed with the OEM kit. Everything fit perfectly. I had heard the Ohlins was a bit rough and more focused on track. The Audi sport kit, in my opinion feels no different from stock setup really (I had a fixed suspension on the RWS). They might be a bit stiffer, but I can't really tell. I am not a weekend track warrior. I want a good mix of street and possible track if I wanted to do that. I watched the review above in the video that I posted and it was positive about the track usage.

For me, if the price is the same and one is OEM, I am picking the OEM. Of course I installed the sway bar at the same time, so my review is the entire setup as I have not driven them separately. But I have not been disappointed. Hopefully others can chime in.

·
Premium Member
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
704 Posts
How much do the coilovers drop the car by?

·
Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
348 Posts
I am curious about the spring rate because I am trying to compare the Ohlins TTX vs the Audi Performance Parts coilover set.
I have heard the standard TTX are really stiff and brutal on the road. I think they are like 800 pound springs but not sure.
I cant decide if its worth it to do the coilovers but hopefully you guys that are installing them can give some real world feedback.
I have two customers who have the Öhlins TTX Pro Advanced Trackday Coilovers for the Gen 2 R8 (Quattro versions) and they both have been happy with the ride, handling and steering. However, they both live out West and my experience has been their roads tend to be in better shape than the Midwest or East. For their Gen 2 Advanced Trackday setup Öhlins actually went a little more stiff to 900 lb/in. So I would say this set up, as named, is smooth road and smooth track biased. Also, part of Öhlins increase in spring rate is to allow ride height lowering of up to 30 mm from stock.

Do you know what these Audi Sport spring rates are as a comparison?

Two weeks ago I measured a Gen 2 RWS (R8Talk member in Tennessee) to do our Öhlins TTX Stage II suspension like our popular setup for the Gen 1's. Our Stage II setup is meant for primary use on the road, spirited driving and some track days (~3-4) per year. So it is a balance of road and track with improved steering, ride, handling and rough road grip. Of note, I thought the RWS with passive OE dampers felt pretty good, especially compared to the Mag Ride behaviors I have experienced on the R8, which toggles between too harsh or too soft in our ~5,000 mile evaluations along with feeling disconnected from the R8 with loss of grip often and steering response that does not follow your hands.

So I did feel we could improve the steering directness and experience says rough road grip as well as balance consistency with more feedback even on the RWS. (We ran pretty smooth roads and the mountain twisties in Eastern Tennessee).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts