Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do people care about whether a car has carbon fiber trim pieces? Engine compartment, interior etc., is it worth the bucks to upgrade this stuff? On one hand, it seems like a lot of money for what is arguably fancy fiberglass bling, but I feel everywhere I look, it's carbon fiber this, carbon fiber that. So, as a lowly V8 owner without any, should I start saving my car bucks to switch over? If so, my inclination would be do the engine compartment first. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
another topic i'm absolutely in the minority on here but i do not like the carbon fiber bits on the r8 at all. i'm so glad my car doesnt have any of it, i would never swap any of it over.
if we were talking about something functional like a carbon fiber tub or drive shaft or something that would actually save weight like a hood i'd feel different but if its just for aesthetics which interior and engine compartment stuff is all about, its not for me at all

·
Registered
472 Posts
It depends on the person ...I love carbon fiber parts in the interior....I feel it makes it feel more upscale. In my opinion, the CF blades on the R8 is iconic...the CF blades is what made the R8 so special to begin with and different than the other supercars out there. When looking to buy the R8 out of the three CF options, CF interior was number 1 priority, then the blades was a close second....the engine bay was last as it was the least important for me and i could always add it later. When I bought my 2015 V8 Gated, I was lucky enough to buy it with the CF interior and blades. I later added the CF engine bay 3 months later....and yes it made the engine bay more exotic after adding all that CF.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I particularly wanted cf interior, engine bay and side blades when I was searching for a car and was lucky enough to find one. That said, I would not go to the expense of purchasing it for a car that didn't have it. Since it's purely aesthic, having the stock ones hydro dipped or wrapped would be a much cheaper option.

Reactions: torqueit

·
Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
569 Posts
Lots of exterior trim benefit is color specific IMO.with black,for instannce it’s sharp, silver looks overly busy to my eye, Interior and especially engine compartment give it a proper supercar finish, however if you believe it’s “ fancy fiberglass, maybe a pass.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to hear the different perspectives. I've never seen it in person, so it's hard to judge just from pictures. When there's a true performance benefit, the choice is easy. When it's just looks, a bit more difficult. I'm Phantom Black with what I'd describe as a dark silver side blade - not sure what the official color is, but they look very good, so the side blades are actually not on my radar to replace. I do think part of the appeal is that supercar look. The way Audi has set the engine off in such a nice display case lures me to the CF engine bay trim. Appreciate any and all feedback - thanks and keep it coming!

·
Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
569 Posts
Good to hear the different perspectives. I've never seen it in person, so it's hard to judge just from pictures. When there's a true performance benefit, the choice is easy. When it's just looks, a bit more difficult. I'm Phantom Black with what I'd describe as a dark silver side blade - not sure what the official color is, but they look very good, so the side blades are actually not on my radar to replace. I do think part of the appeal is that supercar look. The way Audi has set the engine off in such a nice display case lures me to the CF engine bay trim. Appreciate any and all feedback - thanks and keep it coming!
Quality carbon fiber is just plain elegant looking. Pictures really do not do it justice.
You put carbon blades on and later rockers, that black car will pop like you would not believe, especially in the sun.
If you do, I guarantee your first impression will be” why the hell didn’t I do this sooner”.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
How much do people care about whether a car has carbon fiber trim pieces? Engine compartment, interior etc., is it worth the bucks to upgrade this stuff? On one hand, it seems like a lot of money for what is arguably fancy fiberglass bling, but I feel everywhere I look, it's carbon fiber this, carbon fiber that. So, as a lowly V8 owner without any, should I start saving my car bucks to switch over? If so, my inclination would be do the engine compartment first. Thoughts?
[/QUO why not did the same it’s beautiful!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have the carbon fiber interior package and I like it a lot more than the base interior.

As far as the outside of the car, I do like the look of CF but the cost per kg/lb of weight loss isn't really worth the admission unless it's a race car and you can't make weight.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I don't like carbon fiber. Would never consider adding it to my car. I just like the way it looks without it. Seems to me to be a waste of money. Even if it didn't cost money I would not take it.

If you like it and have the cash then go for it. Seems like most people really like it.

·
Premium Member
3,692 Posts
I like it, as I intend to keep the car forever, cf is more dureable as an interioor trim material and easier to maintain. Fortunately I bought a complete trim set.from Neidfaktor for a very good price.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm definitely planning on keeping my R8. It's a pry it from my cold dead hands car. So long term enjoyment versus resale is at play here, but it's always nice to know what you've done is appealing to others. I guess part of the benefit of an upgrade like this is having the trim in both flavors would satisfy any potential buyer, if for some reason I did have to sell it.

Reactions: NYG

·
Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
696 Posts
I wasn't looking for carbon for our chassis/vehicle dynamics usage, but I am glad the blades and engine surround are CF.

Car Vehicle Blue Grille Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
In truth I’ve done CF in the engine bay, steering wheel, paddles, and trans tunnel up to cup holders , also a diamond alcantra headliner with visors etc. Besides Capristo full exhaust, A tidy sum indeed but to me , worth it, I don’t care about a roi doesn’t matter , I’ll never sell it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Let's see photos. Im interested. And in the end what you like is all that matters.

Also, Alibaba is having a sale on OEM carbon fiber on the 29th. It's all legit and half off. Totally lines up with your car and never damaged in shipping. It's just smart.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Let's see photos. Im interested. And in the end what you like is all that matters.

Also, Alibaba is having a sale on OEM carbon fiber on the 29th. It's all legit and half off. Totally lines up with your car and never damaged in shipping. It's just smart.
how and where do we find this Alibaba ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts