Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a new supplier for Carbon Mirrors in Germany and I have ordered a set as the price is pretty good. I'll take a look and report back on the quality and fit and finish. They have offered a group buy discount so I'll post when they arrive.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Any chance you can post up a link please ?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Might as well change the pods over to C.F. too, while we're at it .

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Thanks.

I will be interested to know what the quality is like when you get them.

My V10 is now due in November but my dealer in the UK says there will be no CF mirrors available from Audi by my build date.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I'll do a full picture suite and if they are not R8 perfect, I'll report and send em back....

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here they are, and I have to say I am VERY impressed! Excellent weave and very glossy. I am having them fitted tomorrow so I'll report on ease of fitting.

I've attached some photo's posed in the same way as the OEMplus piccies.
View attachment 852

View attachment 853

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I ordered them with my V10 and today found out that they cost me $1400.

So if you can do better and they are the same quality as the oem ones, go for it.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll get some photos of them on the car for comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Here are the OEM caps, for comparison...

My dealer in the UK says the part numbers on these are for the stainless steel ones and they are not Audi OEM ????

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
These c.f. mirrors have the Aud:)i rings on 'em.Maybe the S.S. mirrors are aftermarket? Are'nt the little mirrors with slender stems available?

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Not with you H ??

My dealer is saying that the part number shown in these photos are for Audi stainless mirrors not carbon ones. His conclusion is that the mirrors shown are Audi stainless mirrors with a carbon wrap over them, not OEM Audi carbon ones.

I hope he is wrong as they look all carbon to me but he says if he orders that part number he will get stainless mirrors come through.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I beleive the Audi OEM ones are carbon wrapped too, the interior moulding for the motors and floding mechanism is too complicated to mould in CF.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
All of the OEM carbon stuff starts out as the stock plastic piece and then who ever the team is that does the carbon work (I'm guessing the Quattro side of Audi) covers plastic w/carbon and then finishes it with, probably, polyester.

When I installed my c/f into my car (engine bay and all the interior pieces), all of the stuff was exactly that. I was able to hold both an OEM plastic part and then the OEM c/f in each hand and do a comparison and yup - c/f covered OEM plastic for every piece.

fwiw, the work that Audi does in c/f is absolutely beautiful. I've done quite a bit of c/f work and only wish I could end up with results like they do.

And if you're looking for c/f for your car, talk to Rich at OEMPlus. Great guy!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
OEMPLUS would be the go to guy on mirror info . If I did the swap I would look into the Carbon PODS (bases) to really finish them off. But there are some totally different mirrors seen on Audi race stuff that look exotic (Italian even). These completely different mirrors ,I want to see in person. Has anyone besides Despy stuck those round bubble safety mirrors onto face of stock mirror ? :)

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
FWIW, on sailboat applications such as masts and structural parts, with which I am somewhat familiar, the carbon fiber fabric or weave is typically imbedded in and covered with clear epoxy (rather than polyester); epoxy is much more satisfactory in the marine environment (but much more expensive...thus hulls are made of glass imbedded in polyester or vinylester, not epoxy, though epoxy is often used to "barrier coat" it);

epoxy is, however, susceptible to uv deterioration as is the carbon substrate, so on boats it is usually painted (which is why bare c.f. bothers me!), though uv inhibitor can be included in the clear epoxy; not sure what plastic this automotive "carbon fiber" composite is using, but I hope it's got good uv protection!

·
Registered
978 Posts
My dealer in the UK says the part numbers on these are for the stainless steel ones and they are not Audi OEM ????
You are correct. The part numbers on the oemplus site are for the aluminum version. There are three different mirror versions available on one page, but only one p/n can be displayed due to software limitations.

The carbon version have different numbers, which are not posted online. ;)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts