Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola ppls,

I'm new to this forum, i will order an R8 in this weeks. I will order fully equipped, ice silver with oxi silver sideblade, and audi exclusive beige interior with RTRONIC trans.
But, i have some questions now...
I need some infos more. What's the difference between carbon and stock brakes? Is carbon brakes much better?
And how about full LED Headlights? Is that better than normal XENON headl.?
And i need some infos about maintenance. At the dealership, they said i must go to service every 30.000km. Its true?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I haven't yet received my R8, but the Ceramic discs are expensive, but last 5 times longer apparantly. I heard that in a road test, they were a bit harder to use. I decided to pass - they may get cheaper later anyhow.

With LED lights, it was pretty much the same thing - they are new and likely to be more expensive than later, and the liklihood of them being as bright as the xenons is hard to believe - so I'm sticking with the regular ones as I doubt there is much benefit (again apart from longer life)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I passed on the carbon brake because of the expense... I would have purchased them if cost was not an issue. The standard brakes are excellent. I drove a car with the carbon brakes and found them to be excellent but for everyday driving, couldn't justify the price. I do not track my car.

As for the LED's I'd go with them as they are state of the art and I like that kind of stuff... the up charge can't really be that much.

As for maintenance, 18 thousand miles (30,000 km) between service is no big deal really is it?

BTW, my car has been trouble free.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
money is doesnt matter now.

harder to use the carbon? really? why? :eek:

I dont wanna drive the car on track, only on roads, but i need safety. i dont know how works the stock brakes, and how better the extra carbon brakes...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Glad that money isn't a problem....

As I said, I have no experience with the ceramic discs, so what I heard was hearsay from a reviewer. I also agree the current ones with 8 pots are extremely good (one reviewer said that the pedal feel was soft - but I just don't see that).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad that money isn't a problem....

As I said, I have no experience with the ceramic discs, so what I heard was hearsay from a reviewer. I also agree the current ones with 8 pots are extremely good (one reviewer said that the pedal feel was soft - but I just don't see that).
hm, hard to choosing... becos i can't try the carbon... at hungarian dealerships aren't an r8 with carbon brakes... and this is the problem with headlight too... here aren't test car with full LED :confused: :(

·
Registered
943 Posts
money is doesnt matter now.

harder to use the carbon? really? why? :eek:

I dont wanna drive the car on track, only on roads, but i need safety. i dont know how works the stock brakes, and how better the extra carbon brakes...
They are harder because of how they bite. Makes city driving a bit weird, though you'd get used to them. They also work better as they heat up, hence they are superior for track use.

You don't need them for road driving. If the normal ones don't stop you, you made the mistake, not the brakes and the ceramics probably wouldn't have helped. Where they will help is on the track when you are working them really hard.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are harder because of how they bite. Makes city driving a bit weird, though you'd get used to them. They also work better as they heat up, hence they are superior for track use.

You don't need them for road driving. If the normal ones don't stop you, you made the mistake, not the brakes and the ceramics probably wouldn't have helped. Where they will help is on the track when you are working them really hard.
ookay... u convince me. and how about lights? i can't find any articles on internet about LED and normal :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts