Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased the new HRE Carbon series or Dymag wheels for their cars???
I was wondering if you noticed a difference in the handling or acceleration?? You would think with the carbon barrel and decreased rotational inertia the car would accelerate faster.....
Any problems with the wheels???

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Search the forum...EVERYTHING has been mulled over on wheels...Except the Audi logo lug-nut covers available now.See my gallery pics for a breif introduction at novice modifications. Click on link below for a driving experience. Do this-do that...JUST KIDDING !! :) The forum is going through a change with the new V 10 unveiling. It's getting interesting still, as well. Of my 1,136 rants and raves, maybe 1/2 are very relevant issues to any R8 enthusiast. There is a huge database here at your fingertips...Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
I have Dymags on my R8. They've been on for about 10K miles and are due for a new set of Michelin PS2 sneakers.

They did not make a noticeable difference in performance. There's just not enough weight removed to make that much of a difference - at least for street terrorizing. Maybe on the track it will be more noticeable.

With brand new Michelin PS2's (the stock P-Zeros SUCK) tires:
Fronts weigh 39 lbs (17.73kg) and rears are 47 lbs (21.36kg).

The difference in weight between the stock rims and tires (which have exactly 1/2 of the tread worn away) and the Dymags w/new sneakers on them (same thing - PS2's) was 3 lbs (1.36 kg). It was the same for the front and rear, interestingly enough.

There's always someone that brings up the "bad side" of Dymag - that they crack. There's the same picture that shows up also. It's a perfect example of 'internet hype', as the rim was driven on a race track, while cracked, with slicks and the result was as it should have been - the wheels were abused. I have not seen any signs of cracking, nor had any issues with leaking.

These rims, while expensive, have proven to be very well worth what I was willing to pay for them. I'd do it again w/o any second thoughts.

For the record, I have experienced the difference putting lighter rims on a car. My RS6 has OZ Racing Ultraleggaras on it - they're dramatically lighter than the stockers (with Blizzaks on them - I want to say it was somewhere around 15 lbs each corner, but don't hold me to that) and the reaction to steering wheel input was impressive, as is the turn in and the way the chassis now reacts. When I put the stockers back on the car suddenly feels very sluggish in response. I was hoping for a similar reaction from my R8 when I did the rim change over, but alas, nothing to write home about.

Here's a thread from RS6.com on when I put the wheels on my car.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
VERY informative.!2 pounds lighter might be plenty of difference at HYPER speeds. They sure are the BEST looking wheel on th R8. I.M.O. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I ordered the new HRE with CF barrel. I placed my deposit about months ago. My guy says that they were shipping from HRE last week. I will post pics as soon as I can.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I am with Kfab. The latest generation of Dymag wheels are terrific. We have replaced several sets under warranty and the new ones (Magnesium/Aluminum hybrid) are excellent.

Having seen the HRE wheels in person, I can say they are also wonderful. Best blend of Dymag carbon barrel technology with beautiful and bombproof HRE centers.

Edit: Here is a photo of the latest-generation Dymags. Looking forward to see Mpalso456's installed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts