Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I wanted to know your opinion on using a carnuba wax vs a synthetic paint sealant.

I've been searching quite intensively online and it looks like

Carnuba:

- lasts about a month (even the most expensive)
- melts at 101F degrees

SPS:

- lasts 3 to 6 months
- melts at 392F degrees

So far (and to me), the sealant looks like a better option but I am not a detailer.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I used Wolfgang's sealant and then applied the carnauba on top. It lasted a lot longer than you state (right through winter) and is still hydrophobic after 6 months. See my posting on the other thread you started re: detailing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm going to apply 2 to 3 coats of Zaino sealant next weekend. I've heard good things about it, but have never used it. The website claims it lasts 6 months.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I have a exotic car detailer booked for next week to do my R8.

This guy comes very highly recommended and only does Ferrari's,Lambo's etc and really knows his stuff.All the usual such as claying,paint thickness etc.

After quite a long conversation he recommended based on his experience one of the best combo's for ultimate shine and longevity is 3 coats of Zaino followed by 2 coats of Swissvax.This is done by hand and machine.

He did also mention that the key(regardless of what you use) to the ultimate finish... is the preparation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts