Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into Ceramic Coating and noticed the price is relatively cheap, like $100 for a kit. Can I get the same results as a pro shop trying to charge $699 for Ceramic coating after having them do a professional paint correction?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Possibly. Some of the more fancy coatings (Gyeons, GTechniq etc) all advise that the coating needs to be cured at a certain temperature for a certain period.

I detailed my car myself over 4 days in April, and used Carbon Collective coatings (Platinum paint & Oracle). I chose CC as their products are suitable for DIY'ers like myself. I'm more than happy with the results.

Only thing to note is, if you are picking the car up unprotected and then driving home, you'll likely need to wash it again before coating, so you could perhaps inflict more damage in the process.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly. Some of the more fancy coatings (Gyeons, GTechniq etc) all advise that the coating needs to be cured at a certain temperature for a certain period.

I detailed my car myself over 4 days in April, and used Carbon Collective coatings (Platinum paint & Oracle). I chose CC as their products are suitable for DIY'ers like myself. I'm more than happy with the results.

Only thing to note is, if you are picking the car up unprotected and then driving home, you'll likely need to wash it again before coating, so you could perhaps inflict more damage in the process.
Yea, that was partially my concern. I'm just surprised that the cost of ceramic application is so high when it's not a lot in materials or labor.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Griots, Adams, TW etc. all have spray ceramic coatings now that are being super disruptive to the industry. For $15 - $20 a bottle and 15 minutes to apply & level, its easy and the results are impressive. They don't last as long as a true ceramic, but for how easy it is to use, it's not hard to throw on a coat or two every 6 months to refresh it.

·
Registered
970 Posts
It's the labor, a good correction is $$. They also factor in warranty, as some come with a lifetime replacement, or 10 years, etc.

·
Registered
970 Posts
1500 isnt terrible, if it's done really well... I paid around that for my Gen1 V8 about 3-4 years ago. I will be full PPF + Opticoat pro over the winter on my v10, and that will be ~$6,000

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1500 isnt terrible, if it's done really well... I paid around that for my Gen1 V8 about 3-4 years ago. I will be full PPF + Opticoat pro over the winter on my v10, and that will be ~$6,000
yea it's $4k for the PPF plus the $1500 for paint correction and ceramic. If the car was new I may have done the full treatment.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
If you want to go the DIY Route and get the best result you need to prepare the paint:

Thoroughly wash the vehicle - All crack, crevices, jambs, etc...need to be clean to prevent contamination and ensure the best results.

Chemical Cleaning with Product that removes brake and rust particles from paint

Chemical Decontamination - Products that Desolves Tar, Sap and Grease from Paint

Mechanical Decontamination - Clay Time - Soft to Medium clay that will pull remaining contaminants from paint

Polishing - 1 or 2 Step - Depending on the age and condition of the paint.

After Polishing the car should be washed again to remove any residue - this can also be done by hand with an IPA or Paint Prep from Gyweon, CarPro , Metguiars, etc...

The next decision is PPF or Ceramic Coating - I Decided to do both.

I had installed XPEL Ultimate Put on mine.

The black on the rear gets scratch easily and definitely needs some protection.

I went with the XPEL Ultimate Matte for the Rear and Side Blades.

Having the Film Installed was pricey but it will keep the paint in excellent condition.

I then coated the film with Kamikaze Surface Film Coating.

The results were ridiculous - The Paint is protected from chips and the PPF Sheds water like crazy.

It's a lot of work and can be a great DIY project if you have the time.

Personally, I find it very satisfying.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’ve recently detailed my wife’s A45 and I used the new Autoglym Ceramic Coating. It is made for amateurs so is really easy to apply. The results were good and application was easy. It only lasts around 12 months, but I thought i’d give it a try. I will do the R8 in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did anyone try the AvalonKing ceramic coating? I heard really good things about it from just about anyone I've asked. Is suppose to be much more user-friendly than most other brands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts