Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I'm going to change my own OEM pads for Pagids.
Do I require any custom OEM tools to swap the pads?
Can someone describe the steps that are involved.
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
No custom Audi tools required, but some specific tools will make it a lot easier.

• Jack up car
  • Remove wheel
  • Use proper sized flat-tipped punch and hammer to remove pins from caliper that hold leaf springs in place
  • Remove old pads (may need to pry it a bit to slightly push back pistons to free up pads)
  • If new pads are thicker than old pads, push pistons back (not easy without proper tool)
  • Insert new pads
  • Replace springs and pins, tap pins into place with small hammer
  • Remount wheel
  • Lower car

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do the pistons need to rotate when you move them in?
I have a basic tool that I've used on other cars but have heard somerthing about the pistons needing to also rotate requiring a different tool that accomodates that as well.

Also, between the pins there is a black rod with nuts on the end. They look to be reverse torex. Is that the case or will a regular socket get them off?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
No, the pistons don't rotate to retract. That's done for some rear brakes that also have parking brake capability. The Brembos on the rear of the R8 do not have that, they are really used as front brakes on other cars. That's also why there's a separate parking brake caliper on the rear.

So you just push in the pistons to make room for the new thicker pads. The problem is that when you push one in (like with a channel lock pliers), the others come out. That's what makes it difficult. You need to push several of them in all at the same time. It takes a special tool to do it right.

And don't attempt to unscrew that funny screw on the post between the pins. That's used to take apart the caliper, which you don't want to do. Just remove the 2 pins.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd don't mind investing in a special tool considering I'm tracking the car and will be doing lots of pad changes.
Can you point me in the right direction of where I can buy one, seeing as my simple tool wouldn't help.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help on this question and reading all of your advice on other posts as well!

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Anyone else notice that it's a pain in the butt to try and hammer home the pins in the rear calipers? It's really hard to get the hammer back in there.

So I tried a few things and ended up using the top portion of a big #8 nail and a small hammer. Cut off about 1 1/2 inches, using a bolt cutter. It works pretty good.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

mt

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
No custom Audi tools required, but some specific tools will make it a lot easier.

• Jack up car
  • Remove wheel
  • Use proper sized flat-tipped punch and hammer to remove pins from caliper that hold leaf springs in place
  • Remove old pads (may need to pry it a bit to slightly push back pistons to free up pads)
  • If new pads are thicker than old pads, push pistons back (not easy without proper tool)
  • Insert new pads
  • Replace springs and pins, tap pins into place with small hammer
  • Remount wheel
  • Lower car

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
When pressing out the pads, remember to remove some of the fluid from the reservoir so it doesn't overflow and get all over your car. Brake Fluid will remove paint - FYI

1 - 11 of 11 Posts