Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a slow puncture in a rear tyre having done 6,000 miles and replaced the tyre.

A friend told me that I needed to change the other rear tyre as Quattros need both tyres on an axle changing at the same time.

Any views?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I got a slow puncture in a rear tyre having done 6,000 miles and replaced the tyre.

A friend told me that I needed to change the other rear tyre as Quattros need both tyres on an axle changing at the same time.

Any views?
It depends on how much wear you have. I had a rear changed at approx 3000 miles without any problem. I had a front need replacing at about 6000 and the dealer measured the wear and told me I would have to replace both.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I always change tyres in pairs on the same axle. Just bought a second pair after getting a 2nd nail puncture on the passenger side rear.

Rather than the mileage covered, I'd be looking at the tread depth difference. I'd think at 6k you'd be down to something like 3mm on the "good" tyre if you've been driving it with any kind of commitment.

·
Administrator
6,229 Posts
Where is the puncture? I got a nail in my rear tire last week but luckily was in a good spot. Right in the middle and not on a tread. The plugs they use nowadays from the inside are great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

Since replacing the tyre yesterday, I noticed that when I take my foot off the gas at, say, 70mph, the car veers to the left. Do you think the tyre thread difference is making this happen?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just had a thought. What if I swapped the new tyre in the back with one from the front? Do you think this will make a difference? I'd rather not spend the extra £300 yet - esp if it isn't what's causing my veering problem...

·
Administrator
6,229 Posts
Front is 235 and rear is 305

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Just had a thought. What if I swapped the new tyre in the back with one from the front? Do you think this will make a difference? I'd rather not spend the extra £300 yet - esp if it isn't what's causing my veering problem...
It would really veer if you did that! The widths are significantly different. Check the pressures and then the tread depths to ensure that they are not significantly different ...either could cause the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Given those 4 little patches of rubber are the only means that the car's power and handling gets transmitted to the road, is it really worth not just ponying up £300 a few k early and putting it to bed? That way at least as you pile on the miles and the tread wears down, the handling change will always be more predictable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, you're probably right...just trying to avoid spending cash when I have the Spider coming hopefullly soon.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I was told by the dealer "if the tread depth is greater than 4mm difference between the old tire and a new tire you must change both tires."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts