Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sweet.... I do like the RS4 also, in yellow is nice. But indeed what will the R8 do?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Agreed. About 500 pounds lighter, same engine, and much better dynamics. It makes you wonder if you really need the V-10 for urban driving.

Whenever I think about the R8, I cannot help but visualize Porsche executives and engineers having a headache that is very hard to solve because (1) the R8 is thus far the most credible competitor to the upper end 911 model (i.e. C4S) and (2) Porsche is irreversibly commited to a 911 design and architecture (engineering and exterior design) that do not provide room for much change. As a result, they are stuck with a product that they really could not change too much. Then again I am not a Porsche loyalist so....

·
Registered
772 Posts
Don't think Porsche will be too worried - they are riding on a high right now. I'm a Porsche loyalist but moving to a R8 temporarily. I'm not sure why you think they are worried or restricted by the 911 architecture having in recent years developed the class leading mid-engined 2 seater roadster, class leading 4x4 and a class leading 4 seater GT due 08/09. Not only have they done all this but they've been commercially successful at it too, so much so that they now own a huge chunk of VW who of course own Audi and Lambo to name a few and expectations are that they will take greater control. Oh I nearly forgot throughout all of this they have maintained the 911 as the benchmark 'affordable' and 'practical' sportscar. I would happily go for another 911 if only they would update the styling (fickle cosmetics I know!), as it is I've got my name down for the Panamera when it hits the streets. As a Porsche fan I know this car will be excellent even before its been built, the R8 though (I am an Audi owner too), I still have the slightest of doubts.

·
Registered
617 Posts
As a Porsche fan I know this car will be excellent even before its been built, the R8 though (I am an Audi owner too), I still have the slightest of doubts.
I hope that the wait will be worth it and your judgement will not be misplaced. I think that the R8 will meet your expectations. I also have had many Porsche's over the years and the one thing that lets them down has been the interior finish, this is an area where Audi are the master craftsman. I am sure that the performance and overall package will match up to Porsche and having a choice of two exceptional brands can only be a good thing. Remember that competition never hurts the customer, we just stand to gain more :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
My criticism of the the 911 is that the styling is conservative/old fashioned, engine underpowered (although has plenty of power in turbo form but has lag), exhaust sound so-so, and lack of paddle shifter (doesn't have the latest transmission. further the tiptronics is sourced from Mercedes.). Not completely up to date, in general though very good but not excellent. It leaves one feeling slightly unsatisfied. And this is where the R8 comes in. The R8 addresses all of the above issues.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I agree with you up to a point, I was disappointed the 997 was barely different from the 996 in style but bought one anyway as there has been nothing that comes close in terms of all round capability until now. Regards power, Porsche have always excelled in producing cars that in real world conditions are quicker than their more powerful counterparts due to their excellent traction and road manners. Re. the 997 turbo, it has more performance than 99.99% of us would want or need and the lag is minimal.

Whilst the R8 meets my needs best at this point in time I wouldnt say it addresses all of the issues you mention. Its styling is a matter of personal taste, arguably its power to weight ratio and performance stats could be better, exhaust note? apparently subdued inside the car, R-tronic? the jurys still out but reports so far have not been excellent.

So I'm guessing I might only be 95% ecstatic when I pick mine up from the dealer and still have that slight feeling of unsatisfaction you mention!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Whilst the R8 meets my needs best at this point in time I wouldnt say it addresses all of the issues you mention. Its styling is a matter of personal taste, arguably its power to weight ratio and performance stats could be better, exhaust note? apparently subdued inside the car, R-tronic? the jurys still out but reports so far have not been excellent.
I think I'll go for the aftermarket Milltek exhaust. The quality is superb. For example Milltek manufactures the exhausts for Bentley, that says enough.

My S4 is also equipped with a Milltek full-sys. The sound is excellent and you have also some performance gain, which will come out very well with an ECU remap. So maybe you solve two things then :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts