Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 R8 R-Tronic
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm in the middle of converting my R-Tronic to Gated, and noticed how bad the rust was on my transmission mount bolts along with the associated washers on these mounts:

Light Gas Automotive tire Auto part Cylinder
Eye Human body Textile Sleeve Wood

Some surface rust is reasonable given the age of this car (14 years), however the amount of rust seems excessive to me.

I have a theory that the previous owners washed the engine bay. I also found evidence of rust on the guide bolts on top of the transmission case:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Gas

Since these guide bolts sit on top of the casing, water can pool on top of the transmission and seep into these bolts since the end of these bolts are actually exposed because they go through their mount points in the bearing housing and are secured by hex nuts.

Vehicle Font Auto part Art Automotive tire

I recommend you check your transmission mounts for rust if you get the chance and don't wash your engine bay with water! I think this was the cause

·
Registered
2008 R8 R-Tronic
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Judd! I appreciate the comment. This has been a long road for me (2 years) after researching and talking with various people who have done this before. I also took auto shop classes at my local community college to build my knowledge and confidence - if there's a will, there definitely is a way to get it done!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm really truly impressed by you. Most men talk and few do in life. This is a bit cheesy to say, but it reminds me of one of my favorite quotes. I think of it often as I'm constantly on the battlefield getting my ass kicked to the ground but I always get up no matter what.

Anyway, the quote is fairly famous and turned out to be incredibly motivational to the French for some reason in the weeks after the speech, but it's below. I know this is a weird post, but I always respect men that follow through on their dreams and applaud it.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts