Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Grille

Hello just bought a 2016 R8 V10 I’m in Dubai and was about to clean it when realised the grates next to glass panel at back are not waterproof - dumb question but what’s the best way to clean this? As water leaks through these grates into the engine? Is there a way round this? Thank you

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just wash it as normal. Then clean the engine bay. Doesn't matter if water goes through the vents, what do you think happens when it rains. Just use a cloth or soft brush to clean down into the vents themselves.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
@stug360 - it doesn't rain much in Dubai. :D

OP - as above the engine bay is a wet area so not at all harmfull getting water in there.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
There are also several threads in here about how to clean your car. Perhaps search them as there is lots of good info. Many guys use the two or three bucket method and some idiots take them through normal car washes that put swirls in the paint.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
Congrats on the purchase - for what it's worth, it doesn't appear to be a 2016 but a Gen-1 (07 - 15).

Some amount of water getting in isn't a problem, but I try not to spray water directly on the vents. I'll usually wash the engine bay last (or close to last) so I can wipe down all of the carbon parts, clean those vents, etc... all by hand - not spraying water directly into the engine bay but just using damp (soap and water) microfiber clothes and drying the same way. Letting water enter and stand on parts in the engine bay (especially the side mesh panels that sit under the vents) will cause rust.

·
Registered
2008 R8 R-Tronic
496 Posts
not spraying water directly into the engine bay but just using damp (soap and water) microfiber clothes and drying the same way. Letting water enter and stand on parts in the engine bay (especially the side mesh panels that sit under the vents) will cause rust.
100% this. Do not spray water directly into the engine gay. Water will pool on top of the transmission and will rust the guide bolts and transmission mounts.

Ask me how I know....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great tips thank you so much and yes it’s gen 1 but weirdly sold as a 2016 car - it must have been very late 2015 maybe and registered in 2016 perhaps? I am really happy with it though all except the complete lack of Bluetooth or a way of listening to my music so I am a new screen fitted with wireless apple car play so I can use this for music and sat nav - is this something that a lot of people end up doing?
Here’s my car what do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Congrats - great looking car.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
You’ve done well, that’s a great looking car, last of the Gen 1.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts