Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a recommendation on the ClearBra, Venture Shield, 3M products?

I'm looking for an installer here in So. Cal (Marina Del Rey or Orange County) areas that understands the specifics of dealing with a car like the R8 and will do a good job.

Also, any pricing?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Using the 3M film, fitted by Paintshield here in UK. It's been on the car for 15 months and has done a great job.

(I've previously had it on an RS4 for 5 years, with no fading or peeling).

I recommend it. It provides a great deal of stone chip protection. The front bumper on the R8 is particularly susceptible to damage in this regard.

Cost ?? Full bonnet, front wings, front bumper, side sills under doors and part cover of the doors was around GBP £1300 as far as I remember (US $2000).

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Mine was applied before I took delivery, $999 for all forward facing pieces (1/2 of the hood. The company the dealer uses apply "UltraShield." The PPF pieces are are computer cut for each model and thye use the 3M PPF product. I had the clear PPF on my Porsche and highly recommend it. I might be wrong, but I think EVERYONE uses the 3M product.

http://www.ultrashieldusa.com/p1.asp

Check with your local Audi dealer, see who they use/recommend. They can probably do it for you too.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I had mine done prior to delivery. The Audi dealer recommended a product and an installer who had done R8's before. All forward surfaces, full hood, mirrors, and rear of the front tires to the front edge of the doors. $2000. Rocks are quite severe in my neck of the woods so it was necessary. I am very happy with the application, installation and the results so far.

I did not like the 1/2 hood application I saw on another R8. It had collected dust or something along the edge and was clearly visible in the middle of the hood. It may be something to consider if things like that bother you.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Anyone have a recommendation on the ClearBra, Venture Shield, 3M products?

I'm looking for an installer here in So. Cal (Marina Del Rey or Orange County) areas that understands the specifics of dealing with a car like the R8 and will do a good job.

Also, any pricing?
Since you're in California, I would talk to these guys - www.premiermobilegroup.com

I know they are opening a shop in your area, so give them a call. Here's what they did for my R8 http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20341#post20341

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also did full hood custom coverage with 3M XPEL applied by Gold Wurks (Northern Cal). They did a great job on the hood removing the original rings and placing a new emblem (which I ordered before application) which just looks great without a single line on the hood, including no cut outs around the rings and full coverage therefore between the rings.

Otherwise, I had them use the pre-cut pieces. The part that could be significantly improved is the front bumper, but the R8 must be very difficult due to the front vents and the curve to the sides of the grill where there is a little defect due to the curvature.

The stuff seriously prevents chips! Will do it on many cars in the future.

·
Registered
38 Posts
another LA based installer that did a great job on mine is Valley Clear Bra...call Dan Gill at 818.347.8665. he'll come to your house or work to install.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I'm having XPEL put on by the dealer next week. I'll post up pics when its done

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I now have an appointment with Premier on their road tour in So Cal. I'll have to keep the rocks to a minimum until the end of the month. I'll post pictures when it's all finished. I'm anxious to see the black pearl effect with a clear over it.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I am pretty carefull and or lucky so far as chips are concerned Only one chip on edge of door side edge into air supply duct. Probably a stone thrown from front tire.I am deeply concerned about wind shield and headlights getting BLASTED as in SAND BLASTED !!! though.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
XPEL has a headlight covering as well

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am pretty carefull and or lucky so far as chips are concerned Only one chip on edge of door side edge into air supply duct. Probably a stone thrown from front tire.I am deeply concerned about wind shield and headlights getting BLASTED as in SAND BLASTED !!! though.
I got one on the edge of the sideblade. That was pretty disappointing.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I now have an appointment with Premier on their road tour in So Cal. I'll have to keep the rocks to a minimum until the end of the month. I'll post pictures when it's all finished. I'm anxious to see the black pearl effect with a clear over it.

When? I had to wait 3 weeks and got some nics on the paint. And I thought Audi's paint is really good. Even my buddy's S65 looks pretty bad up front. And I thought MB's ceramiclear is pretty strong

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I am going to use regular window tint this time. I had to trim the heck out of the kit I purchased last time. It cost @50.00U.S. for 2 pieces that needed to be trimmed anyways. And just a bit too dark too. BUT I am going to do it again 'cuz THe look rEAlly changed . I am carefull not to cover the many L.E.D.s though. One side flew off after a high speed run so I peeled off the other side. Learning from my mistakes...But I would rather learn from others' mistakes!! Don't be a repeat offender ...I always say !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts