Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So my clutch went out Saturday night, and as I feared it appears to be the slave cylinder (weeping from the bell housing). As the slave is internal (is my understanding) my assumption is addressing the clutch as well makes sense and is in line with what my shop is recommending (particularly considering the car has 75k miles and I don't have records of the clutch being done by the previous owner).

My questions are:

What is the general recommendation with regard to clutch replacement? Just clutch? Clutch/bearing/flywheel? etc.

Is kevlar worth the premium with just bolt ons (Exhaust, reid intakes, tune) and no plans for more power?

Any recommended sources for clutch replacement parts (OEM new)? I love my indy shop, but they tend to charge sticker for parts, which is fine on little stuff, but I will likely try and source these parts myself as I suspect finding them cheaper than Audi sticker price shouldn't be too difficult.

Vendors are welcome to PM me pricing.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Randy

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi All,

So my clutch went out Saturday night, and as I feared it appears to be the slave cylinder (weeping from the bell housing). As the slave is internal (is my understanding) my assumption is addressing the clutch as well makes sense and is in line with what my shop is recommending (particularly considering the car has 75k miles and I don't have records of the clutch being done by the previous owner).

My questions are:

What is the general recommendation with regard to clutch replacement? Just clutch? Clutch/bearing/flywheel? etc.

Is kevlar worth the premium with just bolt ons (Exhaust, reid intakes, tune) and no plans for more power?

Any recommended sources for clutch replacement parts (OEM new)? I love my indy shop, but they tend to charge sticker for parts, which is fine on little stuff, but I will likely try and source these parts myself as I suspect finding them cheaper than Audi sticker price shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Randy
I bought my clutch and throw out bearing from ULTIMATEPD, Shardul from this forum. It was for the V10. I then had my indy shop replace it for me. I have a 2009 R8 4.2 6MT. It had around 68k on it when I had to replace those items. I did bot go for the kevlar clutch because I could not justify the cost of it. They will last longer I am told, but like I said I could not justify it.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
We will smash the dealer price. Our clutches are 100% OEM Audi and come in Audi packaging so you can be absolutely sure that you are getting the genuine friction material.

Will PM you the price.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good R8-Stuff, I'll look for your PM.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Hi All,

My questions are:

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Randy
Depends if you plan to keep the car for ever, if not R8-Stuff if yes Hi-Tech Kevlar.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends if you plan to keep the car for ever, if not R8-Stuff if yes Hi-Tech Kevlar.
Do you have experience with the Kevlar clutch? I've seen the claims they make, just haven't seen much independent assessment of them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've been looking at clutch replacements and all I've found is Dodson and hi tech. I have a supercharger on my car so I've been looking at something that can handle more power then the stock clutch. Anyone used a Dodson clutch on here?

·
Vendor
238 Posts
Do you have experience with the Kevlar clutch? I've seen the claims they make, just haven't seen much independent assessment of them.
Hi Randy,

We have posted many independent results and snaps from our customers.

Here is a customer of ours that got only 8,800 miles from his stock/oem Gallardo clutch. He has put over 9k on our Kevlar clutch and he has only used 0.1 to 0.2 mm(that's only 2%). That means he has about 98% left after putting 9k miles on our Kevlar clutch. It looks like he will be able to get over 100K miles from our Kevlar clutch. This was verified by a Lamborghini dealer in San Francisco. Please read this thread. Tom, our customer, was so happy with our clutch that he let us post the invoices from the Lamborghini dealer. His contact information is on the invoice if you like to contact him.

https://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbforum/f47/diy-lamborghini-gallardo-clutch-hi-tech-exotic-carbon-kevlar-ht300-186154/

Here is another R8 customers of ours that has 80k miles on our Kevlar clutch and he is racing at Bahrain Formula 1 racetrack. Temperatures sometimes get up to 110-115F. He had no issues with our Kevlar clutch. No overheating with our clutch or shifts slowing down. The big difference between our Kevlar clutches and others is that we don't use cheap Kevlar. We use very high quality Kevlar discs and it shows. Does it cost us a lot ? Yes, but they last forever without any issues. They also drive better than OEM. The shifting is smoother and quicker than an oem clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5q30ba0iBs&t=87s

He was driving so hard on the race track that his rear brakes were on fire for a second when he was braking from 170 mph. No issues with our Kevlar clutch but he had to replace his rear brakes. You can see it from his friend's Corvette's camera. Watch his rear brakes at around 3:20 min and you'll see the fire for a quick second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O_GOD3UrGE&t=82s

You can also read this 45 page thread that has over 450 posts from our happy customers. Please be patient and read them all and you'll see a lot of feedbacks from our satisfied customers. There are more pictures after page 25.

https://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbforum/f141/diy-lamborghini-gallardo-clutch-kevlar-kit-hi-tech-exotic-outstanding-17194/

I hope this answered a lot of your questions. If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact us.

·
Vendor
238 Posts
I've been looking at clutch replacements and all I've found is Dodson and hi tech. I have a supercharger on my car so I've been looking at something that can handle more power then the stock clutch. Anyone used a Dodson clutch on here?
Dodson only makes clutches for Gen 2 R8(DCT) like V10 plus. We build clutches for Gen 1 R8(2008-2012) as of now. We have clutches that range from 1,000-2,000 horsepower.

What year is your R8?

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's a 2011 the clutch isn't giving me a issue as of yet but I'm not sure with 27k on the clock and the supercharger recently installed on the car how long the OEM clutch will last

Dodson only makes clutches for Gen 2 R8(DCT) like V10 plus. We build clutches for Gen 1 R8(2008-2012) as of now. We have clutches that range from 1,000-2,000 horsepower.

What year is your R8?

·
Vendor
238 Posts
Randy, thank you for purchasing our HT350 and our upgraded throw out bearing TOB300. Your clutch was shipped yesterday.

·
Vendor
238 Posts
It's a 2011 the clutch isn't giving me a issue as of yet but I'm not sure with 27k on the clock and the supercharger recently installed on the car how long the OEM clutch will last
Supercharger and bolt on TT will chew up the stock/oem clutch because oem clutch can't handle the extra hp properly. At higher rpm, a stock clutch slips so slightly and it will cause the stock clutch to glaze. We have seen many oem clutches on SC/TT cars that have a lot of clutch left but it's glazed. After that they don't shift right and they start slipping even though they have more than 50% clutch left.

We had 2 bolt on TT customers, one had our Kevlar clutch and one had the oem clutch. They raced from 20-30 mph to 130-140 mph. Our Kevlar customer would be ahead by one car every time they shifted at 8k rpm. By the end of the race, our Kevlar customer was ahead by 6-8 cars. They both had the same exact TT and same hp. After the race, the stock clutch customer bought our HT300. After he broke in the HT300, they raced again and they were dead even. The right clutch makes difference. Our HT300 and HT350 stage 1 can handle up to 1,000 hp.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What's the pricing like on the kevlar compared to OEM? I'm not having any issues with mine, but it'd be good to know my options for future reference.

·
Vendor
238 Posts
What's the pricing like on the kevlar compared to OEM? I'm not having any issues with mine, but it'd be good to know my options for future reference.
Thank you for your interest in our Kevlar clutches. I sent you a PM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts