Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Collected my R8 Friday from Crawley, nightmare journey as M25 closed most of the day, drove back through stop start traffic on a country route, it was like being in a goldfish bowel, people hanging out of car windows, taking pictures. Very pleased with the car so far, could spend all day just looking at it.

Question for any other owners, do you get much wind noise (rush) from just behind the drivers head, I guess from the door seal? It seems to start at about 80mph but quite intrusive at 100pmh?

I don't like the sound of the problems our other forum member is having, it makes you wonder if that car was thrashed to an inch of it's life straight out the box! I am trying to not rev over 6 and making sure the oil is up to temp before even driving away, it is very tempting though to rev more especially as the engine sounds fantastic.

Not sure I would have bothered with the £2500 option of extended leather, does not look that amazing over the standard trim, perhaps would have had the carbon in the engine bay instead, as keeping the standard trim looking good is going need constant cleaning, from water stains etc.

When I have worked out how to post pictures will put a couple up.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x292/r8driver/P1000222-1.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x292/r8driver/P1000217.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x292/r8driver/P1000223.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x292/r8driver/P1000224.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x292/r8driver/P1000220.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x292/r8driver/P1000219.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congratulations on your new R8 you will love every minute of it.

The wind noise you are hearing is normal, it is not actually a wind noise but an air rushing noise going through the side blades. perfectly normal.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Normal - but I suspect not good.

Will have to get the B&O after all

·
Registered
772 Posts
not sure its best to leave the car idling until the oil is warm - I'm sure on previous vehicles I've read that its best to drive gently thus warming up quicker and varying the loads on the engine.

thanks for the info on the extended leather, I wasnt going to have it, then thought I would, but now probably will save my cash since a couple of you have suggested its better spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
274 Posts
good post, and we are really looking forward to hearing about your experiences... and hoping you dont have the same problems with yours- cant wait to see your pics!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really not sure how you get the file size down but keep the quality up on the pics - any tips please!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked my car up a week ago Wednesday and as detailed elsewhere on the site had a fantastic time driving it down through the Alps to Monaco and back - I didn't exceed 4000 RPM (around 100 MPH) on the trip - mostly long steady motorway miles - and arrived home with just under 2,000 miles on the clock. I've now started to take it towards 5000 RPM and will do so for the next 500/750 miles, I feel it is extremely important to use the car gently at this point, - I can really start to go for it in a few weeks time !
On another note, as has been discussed elsewhere the amount of attention the car attracts is unbelievable - I was parked in the village today when one of my neighbours drove past in his brand new Ferrari 599 Fiorano(Enzo engined!), seeing my R8 parked by the roadside he turned round parked behind my car and proceeded to tell me how fantastic it (the R8) was. I gave him the keys to try it and he passed me the keys to the 599 and said "take that for a spin and see what you think" he's in his 60's and a great guy - I had a spin in his 430 spider after the 599 - while he was still enthusing after the R8 saying if I wanted to sell it he'd buy it from me !

·
Registered
782 Posts
I picked my car up a week ago Wednesday and as detailed elsewhere on the site had a fantastic time driving it down through the Alps to Monaco and back - I didn't exceed 4000 RPM (around 100 MPH) on the trip - mostly long steady motorway miles - and arrived home with just under 2,000 miles on the clock. I've now started to take it towards 5000 RPM and will do so for the next 500/750 miles, I feel it is extremely important to use the car gently at this point, - I can really start to go for it in a few weeks time !

I don't understand? Even the manual tells you, you can rev up to 6000 rpm the first 600 miles! From 1000 miles you may rev it up to 7000 rpm already! Being too careful is worse for your engine than driving it too hard!

I picked it up at the factory and the engineers told me that even the manual is extremely careful and they run their own R8's in as follows:

First 300 miles max 6000 rpm
360 miles max 6500 rpm
420 miles max 7000 rpm
480 miles max 7500 rpm
540 miles max 8000 rpm
600 miles max 8250 rpm

They told me, if I stick to that there would be no problem. Being too careful makes the engine a bit lazy, they say.

the only important thing is to warm up the oil well before revving.

I also did this about the same with my S4 (now 3 years old) en that one runs very well (and without any problems).

And last but not least: the factory floors all R8's on their dyno. And not for a very short time (I've seen it). They rev up all the way and the speed goed way above 230 :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Question for any other owners, do you get much wind noise (rush) from just behind the drivers head, I guess from the door seal? It seems to start at about 80mph but quite intrusive at 100pmh?

I don't like the sound of the problems our other forum member is having, it makes you wonder if that car was thrashed to an inch of it's life straight out the box! I am trying to not rev over 6 and making sure the oil is up to temp before even driving away, it is very tempting though to rev more especially as the engine sounds fantastic.

Not sure I would have bothered with the £2500 option of extended leather, does not look that amazing over the standard trim, perhaps would have had the carbon in the engine bay instead, as keeping the standard trim looking good is going need constant cleaning, from water stains etc.

When I have worked out how to post pictures will put a couple up.
Nice pics!

The wind-noise problem: yes I have it too. With my R8 the noise is worse on the right side (it sound like the wind is slapping against the window). I've the problem around the same speeds you mention.

When warm its no problem that you rev your baby up for a minute. The most important thing is that the oil-temperature does not get too hot (then there is too much friction in your engine).

And extended leather: it doesn't look spectacular unfortunately. The standard dash is very nice!

Engine bay: For both types it is very easy to clean with Swissvax Quick Finish. For the carbon its important to apply a very good heatresisting wax (e.g. Swissvax Autobahn wheelwax). The blanc lacquer on the carbon is somewhat soft and scratches easily (also for carbon sideblades.) The wax makes it more easy to clean, it stays longer clean and it protects from scratches (and the carbon is even more shiny with the wax).

·
Registered
782 Posts
Congratulations on your new R8 you will love every minute of it.

The wind noise you are hearing is normal, it is not actually a wind noise but an air rushing noise going through the side blades. perfectly normal.
Rob, the slapping noise looks like the wind is taking a dead-end. Behind the small window there is plastic lying a bit back behind the sideblade. The wind is unable to flow there and gets stuck. I think that gives a lot of noise when driving fast!?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks Guilty, interesting that you get that problem too with the wind.

Parked it outside last night, would normally be garaged but full of stuff and car cover not arrived yet, it was quite a windy night and wow! you should see how much crap had blown into the engine bay, mainly wheat chaff from the fields locally but really surprising what gets in there. Tip is to park nose into the wind next time!

Thanks for tip on Swissvax, I will do that, in fact I have a guy booked for next weekend who is going to do a complete detail, using some million pound wax or other? should be interesting to see if it really makes a difference, he has just done a Bugatti Veyron and that did look incredible once finished.

I was really worried that I had made a mistake with Silver a bit yesterday etc, and in fact tried to change to Daytona, but I am really pleased with that choice now, it shows the lines off brilliantly and suits the car I think, especially in the flesh so to speak.

My only regret is not going for the contrast stitching, again I was too late to change - having seen it on a demo car at Le Mans, it did look really good on the extended leather area.

Thanks also for running in tips, I agree being too cautious can be a bad thing also.

Another question for owners – How many miles were on clock when collected? Mine had 86 miles, which seemed a bit excessive even allowing the test miles at factory, anyone else?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks Guilty, interseting that you get that problem too with the wind.

Left her outside last night, would normally be garaged but full of stuff just now, was quite a windy night and wow! you should see how much crap had blown through into the engine bay, mainly wheat chaff from the fields locally but really suprised, so tip is to park nose into the wind!

Thanks for tip on Swissvax, I will do that. In fact I have a chap booked for next weekend who is going to do a complete detail on it, including some million pound wax or other, will be very interesting to see if it really makes a difference - will obviously put up some pics.

Our garage is too full too :) So it's important to treat your car with good wax. Cheap waxes do protect less longer. Are less shiny and last less.

When you apply Swissvax you'll notice the difference in friction!

See our Swissvax thread here:

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927

·
Registered
617 Posts
Another question for owners – How many miles were on clock when collected? Mine had 86 miles, which seemed a bit excessive even allowing the test miles at factory, anyone else?

Mine came with 64 miles, perhaps yours was parked at the back of the car park :D :D :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
Haha yes! And it's true. Braking / running in a new car/engine slowly and too carfully will make your engine and gearbox lazy!

With our rallycars (we have group N and group A Mitsubishi Lancers) we test a new car on the road for 500 miles (drive it hard) and then we attend the next rally with it. No problems at all :)

People who are being too careful wil get a slower car (although that is not noticeable on normal road, in a circuit it's different stuff).

Great post! Thanks.

Nice one in the article:

There's a very small window of opportunity to get the rings to seal really well ... the first 20 miles !!

As the factory drove my R8 for over 74 miles and the first miles where flat out on their dyno. I think my engine will be ok :) But what about the 20 mile oil change? :) Longlife oil will be in that engine for over 15000 miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Guilty or Anybody Else,

I was wondering if you could give the dimension of the bench space behind the seats. This would be greatly appreciated. I'm still 6 months away from getting my R8 but I read your posts with great interest.

Canada

·
Registered
782 Posts
Guilty or Anybody Else,

I was wondering if you could give the dimension of the bench space behind the seats. This would be greatly appreciated. I'm still 6 months away from getting my R8 but I read your posts with great interest.

Canada
Length: 120cm in the front of the bench and 95cm in the back of the bench (the corners are rounded, they mounted the speakers in it)

Depth: 21 cm (over the 95cm length the rest is less deep)

Height (to the headliner): 54cm

·
Registered
25 Posts
Length: 120cm in the front of the bench and 95cm in the back of the bench (the corners are rounded, they mounted the speakers in it)

Depth: 21 cm (over the 95cm length the rest is less deep)

Height (to the headliner): 54cm
Can you actually fit a set of golf clubs on the bench?

How talk are you by the way and how talk (maximum) do you think someone could be to be sit in the car comfortably?

Thank you for you patience regarding this matter.

Canada

1 - 20 of 21 Posts