Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder Manual Daytona Grey
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my battery has had it, last day I had the car out in the fall it started taking longer to turn over and then I couldn't start it and the voltage was pretty low, first time my R8 has failed me and I had to get a boost. I was putting it away for the winter anyways, so I plugged in the tender and put it to bed and figured I deal with it in the spring. So, it's the spring now! I just tried to start it last week when the weather got nice and it started fine the first time and then wouldn't even try and turn over after that. Lol, the thing is I need gas but I obviously can't turn it off and sit at a gas station =) If I leave it on the tender for a while then it starts the first time and that's it.

So, it's a 2011 and the battery is probably original so it doesn't owe me anything. I reviewed the install instructions provided by various members and since I'm stuck at home anyway, and since most of our are trying to save a few bucks I figure I'll try this myself. Anyways how quickly things change, 3 weeks ago I was going to have a bad speaker replaced, oil change, battery replaced and I was just going to have the dealership pick it up on a truck since it's 1.5h away and I didn't want to waste time driving out there and waiting all day, now all of a sudden I'm trying to save some money and work is not busy and I'm trying not be wasteful and I have tons of time on my hands.

So, I was going to look at li-on battery options since the weight reduction is cool, but I realize that reliability and OEM is probably more important to me. I don't really care about a cost so if someone can convince me the Li-on batteries have the same reliability and longevity as OEM then I'm all ears. I read several threads but anything changed in the last while about the options in Li-on batteries?

Otherwise, and being in Canada, does anyone know of a good source online, or should I get at the dealership? It's a bit of an issue because most places are closed or running modified due to COVID so I'd rather just have it shipped to my place if possible.

Main goal here is to be ready for good weather because it's very boring sitting at home doing nothing and it's a great time to be out enjoying my car.

Cheers!

Washing the car is fun, but having to boost it to get back into the garage not so fun and I actually do want to drive it at some point too =)

·
Registered
2012 R8 V8 Spyder
41 Posts
I have a Canadian 2012 R8 Spyder I just purchased with 4k original miles on it. I have run Lithium batteries in my off-road rigs for year (Search and Rescue Pinzgauer (@sarpinz) • Instagram photos and videos) so I took advantage of the sale going on at AntiGravity and ordered the Lithium battery with built in Jump Pack. Both are charged from the alternator but the Jump Battery is kept separate from the ignition. If the primary cell gets too low to start the vehicle you use a key fob to temporarily connect the jump battery and sel-jump the vehicle. Given how challenging it is to access the battery if the primary battery is dead I figure it's worth the extra convenience. Plus it's still lighter than the stock battery.

Note: If you use their online tool to determine which battery to buy it will recommend two. For the Canadian model it's Antigravity H7/Group-94R Car Battery - I don't know if it's the same for US cars, I assume so. Not sure what the other recommended option fits, it's the right depth but too narrow for my car..

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Car batteries are pretty much on borrowed time after about 5 years so if yours is the original you've done really well. I would accept it's had it and get a new one on there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Gadgetphreak,

Are you saying that the battery below wasn't an exact fit for the R8 and you'll have to create a bracket or something else to secure correctly?

I have a Canadian 2012 R8 Spyder I just purchased with 4k original miles on it. I have run Lithium batteries in my off-road rigs for year (Search and Rescue Pinzgauer (@sarpinz) • Instagram photos and videos) so I took advantage of the sale going on at AntiGravity and ordered the Lithium battery with built in Jump Pack. Both are charged from the alternator but the Jump Battery is kept separate from the ignition. If the primary cell gets too low to start the vehicle you use a key fob to temporarily connect the jump battery and sel-jump the vehicle. Given how challenging it is to access the battery if the primary battery is dead I figure it's worth the extra convenience. Plus it's still lighter than the stock battery.

Note: If you use their online tool to determine which battery to buy it will recommend two. For the Canadian model it's Antigravity H7/Group-94R Car Battery - I don't know if it's the same for US cars, I assume so. Not sure what the other recommended option fits, it's the right depth but too narrow for my car..

Cheers,
Ben
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
2012 R8 V8 Spyder
41 Posts
So Gadgetphreak,

Are you saying that the battery below wasn't an exact fit for the R8 and you'll have to create a bracket or something else to secure correctly?
Sorry for the confusion. The 94R is a correct fit. But if you use the configurator on their website it also lists the Type 48 as fitting (which is what I mistakenly ordered the first time), but it's too narrow. They promptly swapped it out for the Type 94R which fits perfectly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the confusion. The 94R is a correct fit. But if you use the configurator on their website it also lists the Type 48 as fitting (which is what I mistakenly ordered the first time), but it's too narrow. They promptly swapped it out for the Type 94R which fits perfectly.
Ah perfect! so do I spend the extra $$$ =) probably yes, I've already saved so much by doing it myself hehe =)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What type of deal / sale did you get on this? I might try and get the same deal since it doesn't look like there is any current sale.

·
Registered
2012 R8 V8 Spyder
41 Posts
They were running 20% off. Email them and let them know you intended to order but missed the sale and that you are ready to buy. I think they'll give it to you. They have been super responsive in email and on phone during the whole exchange.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They were running 20% off. Email them and let them know you intended to order but missed the sale and that you are ready to buy. I think they'll give it to you. They have been super responsive in email and on phone during the whole exchange.
okay last question I swear, which amp hour battery did you go with - does any know what the cranking amps on the OEM for the V10 does it differ from from the V8?

·
Registered
2012 R8 V8 Spyder
41 Posts
Amp hour and cranking amps are separate. I’ll let someone else comment on the stock battery stats as I don’t know them.
For Amp Hour (total battery charge capacity)

I went 60ah which is overkill. Any of the options are probably fine and likely even the smallest is still more capacity than stock. I went 60 as this is a 4th vehicle for me and I typically travel for work a lot, often on short notice, so it could sit for a month without knowing in advance and remembering to get it on the tender. So the extra capacity is extra insurance for my case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts