Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went by my local Audi Dealer. They have a white R8 on the showroom. Its been there for about a week. It has every option available, R-tronic, and carbon fiber sideblade.

Its MSRP is $138,000. But the dealer is asking $188,000.

I would buy the car for MSRP in a second, but $50k over seems steep. This is the 4th R8 I've seen come through this dealership and every time they are $50k over sticker. (In Los Angeles).

I just bought a new Porsche 911 turbo cabriolet and a Bentley GTC. The Audi was 3rd on my list but I could only really afford 2, so I opted for the Bentley instead. Now I'm considering trading in the Bentley for the R8. The Bentley cost $199k with 1,000 miles on it, and I've added 400 miles to it. I'm probably gonna get hammered on the resale trade in value. I'm supposed to meet with the dealer tomorrow to discuss the trade in value.

Anyway, I really want to get feedback on the R8 pros and cons from current owners. Obviously they won't let me test drive it. I like the Bentley, but I find myself wishing I had gotten an R8.

I've had an A8 and an A4 and love Audi - just want to know if the car lives up to the hype - as far as handling, power, etc (it seems like it may be a little underpowered using the RS4 engine).

By the way, I told the dealer I was considering waiting for the R10 and the general manager said you must be an R8 owner in order to ever buy an R10. That seems ridiculous.

Looking forward to some feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If it is not for the show, I will skip it. Even though I chose R8 over GT3 and Turbo, partly because I had enough porsche life already, if I had a turbo in my garage, I will simply wait for R10 or whatever it will be called and consider buying one. It seems you have enough money. If I were you, I will trade turbo cab and bentley for 430 scuderia in a sense of paying premium over MSRP or opting for a new best sports car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
By the way, I told the dealer I was considering waiting for the R10 and the general manager said you must be an R8 owner in order to ever buy an R10. That seems ridiculous.
That is total BS. It is like saying that I got to buy a 318i in order to buy a M3. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That is total BS. It is like saying that I got to buy a 318i in order to buy a M3. Ridiculous.

They are simply trying to do what Ferrari does, but I would laugh at them if they tried that. The R8 / R10 is no slouch, but it’s not a Ferrari either.

I stopped by Findlay Audi in Henderson, NV this past Saturday and they happened to have an R8 on the lot. So I asked if it was for sale and was told that it is not their own car, but a manufacturer car they had for the day. I figured I had nothing to lose by asking for a test drive so after some car talk with a few of the guys I was able to take the car out with a manager for almost an hour. It was an R-Tronic model which I was right at home in since I have had 2 BMW's with SMG.

Very easy to get into the car and get comfortable. The angle of the nav screen was odd and very hard to view with my polarized sunglasses. It was very easy to drive, but I was expecting to hear more engine, especially since its right behind me. This was a bit disappointing. The magnetic ride suspension soaked up everything thrown at it with ease. I didn’t try to drive the car like I stole it, but was able to get into triple digit speeds when the road cleared up. Very comfortable, very competent, but nothing that got my blood pumping. I would be interested to see how its character changes on a track though

When I left the dealership after thanking the manager for giving me a chance to experience the car I had zero regrets about going home in my E92 M3, and had a blast driving it for the rest of the day.

At MSRP and if I had a slot for it in my garage it would make a great addition, but I would not give up either of my current cars to get an R8.

I would however give my left nut for an F430 Scuderia

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I was expecting to hear more engine, especially since its right behind me. This was a bit disappointing. The magnetic ride suspension soaked up everything thrown at it with ease. I didn’t try to drive the car like I stole it, but was able to get into triple digit speeds when the road cleared up
The exhaust valves open and it gets louder past 4k rpm, but wind the windows down and you get to hear how glorious the engine sounds.

Not sure what type of roads you drove on but, for me, the r8 only really comes alive on twisty roads where the revs are constantly changing and the handling comes into its own. On fast straight roads it's just a nice comfortable car to be in, quick but not quick enough to impress with the speed alone.

Given the similar spec between the e92 m3 and r8 in terms of engine and performance, I can understand why you didn't feel it different enough to change - similar engine and power leaves you needing to place greater value on the difference in handling characteristics and the visual theater of the car itself. That's a very personal call when it comes to laying down the cash.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Don't buy it for $50K over. There are much better deals even if you want to pay over MSRP. Just call another dealership and get on the list. Just wait for the V10 if you are willing to spend that kind of money.

It's a great car, but it's not worth $50k over sticker, as you'll lose that $50K so fast. It's just not a smart move financially, even if you have the money. You'd just be throwing away $50K.

I think you should just stick with the 997 and get on a list. The 997 is a better performance car than the R8, but I just like the R8 better. The V10 is going to really up the performance and worth waiting for. Just call dealerships around the US and ask if you can get on a list for the V10. It may take a while, but the car isn't expected anytime soon either.

I got mine at Audi of Farmington Hills, MI, and you may be able to get on the list there and get it at MSRP.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just paid way over MSRP for mine and received it the other day. I’m new to this forum and generally have not participated in any forums but the guys here have a lot of good information and most are not immature a-holes.

If you look through the threads you’ll quickly see a consensus not to overpay. But it really depends on your situation. I did not mind overpaying because I decided 2 weeks ago to get the car and most people ordered theirs two years ago. I did not pay your premium either – if you can get them down another $25k then you may be in business.

Look on www.autotrader.com and search for R8’s. Every dealer in the U.S. knows about that site and it is the defacto standard for a dealer secondary market. There are about 30 R8’s on that site today. I called and had others call about 12 of them and most did not have the R8 anymore but did not update their listings. If you are persistent with that list you can get a much better price versus the $180k but you will still pay a very large premium.

Your decision is tough because you already own a Porsche sports car which is a viable daily alternative to the R8. Exotics like Lambo’s and Ferrari’s are terrific cars but definitely not reliable daily drivers. In the end, it depends on the looks and handling characteristics you want. Of course if the financial situation is a concern then you certainly should not do it since Porsches are fine cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am also looking to buy and R8, but I am conflicted as to buy with a manual or with R-Tronic. I had an M6 and sold it because the SMG drove me crazy...to slow to react in traffic. Which do people on this forum recommend/prefer? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
If you didn't like the bmw smg don't go r-tronic as that is quite a bit worse than the bmw in certain circumstances (eg very slow traffic). I found the bmw smg to be excellent in s5 mode - and the r-tronic really needs to be in manual sport mode at speed to deliver on its promise and it's here that it shines.

I didn't use the bmw nor will I use the r-tronic in auto as to me that isn't the point of the box at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used the SMG only in manual mode...as auto was even worse. Thanks for the input.

Anyone else have opinion on this? What about people with manual transmisions...are you enjoying or wish you had a r-tronic?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there. I just purhcased a white manual r8(three days ago). I have owned a bmw 850, mercedes cl500 and now have an A8(which I love). This car is unbelievable. I think it is plenty fast. from second to third gear...your hair sticks up. Although I have to admit I have been babying it. I am out east...none on the road so i am getting "slammed" by gawkers. It's really a piece of engineering excellence and art combined. I can't get the car to slide out of a turn...it reallly stays put. I can't say enough about the car. Good luck!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the manual...also have an A8 and love the automatic but went with the manual on the R8...glad I did...really makes you feel like you're driving the car...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately they won't budge from the $50k over sticker. I feel like by the time 09 hits, this thing won't be holding that kind of value at all. Maybe I'm wrong, but the consensus seems to be its a good car for MSRP or a little over. Not $50k over.

Gonna have to stick with the porsche turbo as my daily driver for now - which I really love anyway.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That is the right decision. Put a deposit down with a reputable dealer at MSRP with the option of going to the v10. If you really want a car now start calling all the R8 authorized dealers in the US (PM me and I can give you one that can probably delivery in 9-12 months at MSRP) and you may very well get lucky and find one that is coming in and for which the buyer has cancelled. Focus on small mid-market dealerships, not big metropolitan areas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you're willing to pay 50K over sticker, why not wait a few weeks and buy a 2009? Personally I would not pay that much over sticker for a V8, but might for the V10.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts