Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Great project. Hey....not that you are going to change what you are doing now, but for the trans you have a great resource in HCF Autosport. https://hcfautoparts.com/ John is the owner and here is his email: [email protected]

John is the US licensed distributor for Graziano. He also does rebuilds. (he is rebuilding mine right now). Said most rebuilds leave his shop for 3k or less. You wont find anyone more familiar with these transmissions. Since he can also supply the parts as the distributor, I dont think you will find a better way to get a trans rebuild.

Also, if the standard versions are that rare, it might be worth to rebuild and sell it? Not sure what they go for, but if they are that hard to find, seems like it might be worth the investment to not just scrap it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Welcome to the R8 Forum. Nice to have you on board especially since you are taking on a really cool and very interesting project. I'll be watching with keen interest.

One thing I'd love to know is have you examined the two areas of the R8 frame known to "crack" or "tear" on these early cars due to impacts. (recalling SAMCRAC'S car) I'm curious to see if your car sustained any damage given the accident? Could you show the two areas and what, if anything happened. Your 2nd video refers to the areas which caused your car to be salvaged so I wonder if the prone areas survived intact.

Thanks and good luck on your journey.
Thank you!!

When I first bought the car and was waiting for it to be shipped to me that's exactly what I thought one of the main problems with the car would be, but once it arrived and I ripped off the plastics around the frunk those welds were totally OK and showed no signs of being affected at all. I was surprised. I still ordered the repair plates via a Ebay seller out of Europe though, I fully intend to have them welded in when the bottom side gets repaired as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Great project. Hey....not that you are going to change what you are doing now, but for the trans you have a great resource in HCF Autosport. https://hcfautoparts.com/ John is the owner and here is his email: [email protected]

John is the US licensed distributor for Graziano. He also does rebuilds. (he is rebuilding mine right now). Said most rebuilds leave his shop for 3k or less. You wont find anyone more familiar with these transmissions. Since he can also supply the parts as the distributor, I dont think you will find a better way to get a trans rebuild.

Also, if the standard versions are that rare, it might be worth to rebuild and sell it? Not sure what they go for, but if they are that hard to find, seems like it might be worth the investment to not just scrap it.

Good luck!
Thanks!

I actually did speak with John when I was trying to rebuild my original gearbox. Mine was pretty trashed though :/

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I watched that earlier tonight. Keeo it going! It will be worth it once that V10 is sitting in the engine bay!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cool keep it up man. As a DIYer its good to see undertakings like these. And yes Audi axle bolts are epically tight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Everyone! I am new to the site and a long time R8 Lover. I am currently working on converting a 2009 V8 to a V10. Not looking to get famous or anything, just love wrenching and thought some would like to watch the conversion. I searched all over the internet and couldn't find anyone else who has attempted this before. If I'm wrong I do apologize. Looking forward to any feedback and or encouragement during this project. Hope everyone enjoys the videos and stays healthy out there during this tough time!

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Everyone! I am new to the site and a long time R8 Lover. I am currently working on converting a 2009 V8 to a V10. Not looking to get famous or anything, just love wrenching and thought some would like to watch the conversion. I searched all over the internet and couldn't find anyone else who has attempted this before. If I'm wrong I do apologize. Looking forward to any feedback and or encouragement during this project. Hope everyone enjoys the videos and stays healthy out there during this tough time!

That's awesome man. Totally love that garage .Oh yeah

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Moving on nicely. Stay with it. I bet you get a lot of joy doing the editing. :) ? I'm liking this project and applaud you for doing it.
Thank you!

The editing is kinda fun, it's actually my first time doing any sort of video editing stuff so I'm learning A LOT.

·
Registered
19 Posts
?? Waste of time and $.
Spoken like someone who probably owns a v8 and has/is planning on getting a supercharger? :rolleyes:

1) you're assuming he's only doing it to "go faster"!? He said he enjoys wrenching.
2) for people who don't just care about speed and are more gear heads, a lamborghini v10 is significantly different than an audi v8. Just look at prices of v8s vs v10s.
3) if you truly really only care about speed.. slap on a VF SC on the v10, and it'll be faster than your v8 with a SC. Or buy a souped up honda that's faster.. why waste money on an r8?

.. your comment is pretty obtuse.

To OP : Pretty ambitious project! Looking forward to see how it goes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm gonna ask a stupid question, without having (had the time to) watch the videos yet. Awesome project though, plan to catch up soon!

I'm a golfer, so when I bought an R8 with the intent of making it my daily, I needed to test out if clubs would fit behind the seat. They did!!! But only on the V8 ... the one V10 that I drove had much less space behind the seats. It seemed like Audi had used up some of the cabin space with the V10. Have you accounted for the larger size of the engine for the project?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'm gonna ask a stupid question, without having (had the time to) watch the videos yet. Awesome project though, plan to catch up soon!

I'm a golfer, so when I bought an R8 with the intent of making it my daily, I needed to test out if clubs would fit behind the seat. They did!!! But only on the V8 ... the one V10 that I drove had much less space behind the seats. It seemed like Audi had used up some of the cabin space with the V10. Have you accounted for the larger size of the engine for the project?
I honestly just assumed they were the same. But after reading your post I measured, and the area behind the seats on both cars are the same from what I can tell ?‍♂

Hmmm...do you think it is possible that the V10 you test drove had an aftermarket sound system installed?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hmmm...do you think it is possible that the V10 you test drove had an aftermarket sound system installed?
I didn't think so, but I wasn't studying the car too closely. That particular one was way out of my price-range, it just happened to be the first manual to pop up in my area when I was doing my search, so I went ahead and test drove it. I clearly remember it having less room behind the seats though, but if you measured on your end and you're satisfied, I trust your tape measure over my uncalibrated eyeballs!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts