Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get my car ceramic coated, and was speaking to a local detailer. I had previously good result with ceramics, and looking to do it again. Had a previous detalier in another state do it for around 500 bucks (he used some off the shelf stuff, nothing special, but still turned out nicely, especially for the price). I realize the Cquartz is only available to certain professionals however he quoted me 1500 for the "normal" or 2500 (!!) for the "finest reserve". Scouring through some other vehicle forums seems most people are paying between 1000-1200 for a full paint correction and Cquartz finest. Not sure if I am getting the exotic tax here or if a "finest reserve" job is worth 2500 bucks...

·
Registered
284 Posts
? finest reserve. 2020 a vintage year is it ?$2500. Total rip off if you ask me. Even $1500 is over the top. I seriously doubt there's any difference between the two. Certainly not $1000 worth. Here in the UK the detailer I've used charges £150 full car including wheels. I've had both my R8 and Evo done after a full detail.
All this detailer only product is just bullsh1t. Just a way for people to make more money. It's just for detailers who have spent to go on a one day supplier/brand course on how to apply the stuff, that any muppet can do.
Most of the stuff is actually made by the same company anyway and just rebranded.
Some stuff is better than others for sure but none of it is worth $1500 and above. $500 sounds a bit more reasonable.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:LOL:, it has only the finest vintage chemicals. Hints of vanilla and formaldehyde. Barrel aged for clarity and shine... Yeah kind of my thoughts as well, might find a decent mobile detailer that is a bit more humble. I have no doubt the place referenced does an amazing job, but 2500 is a bit shocking.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I would skip CQuartz and go for Opti Coat pro plus.

Also, the $1,000-2,000 prices are not for the ceramic coating, but for the paint correction and prep before it gets coated. You want your paint crystal clear and free of any and all swirls, marks, blemishes, etc before you apply a ceramic coating, as it seals it all in, and now you have protected paint that looks like ****.

Cquartz and Opti Coat don't want to just sell to anyone, they want professional people installing their flagship coatings. I get it.

Reactions: dave_uk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Only real difference between the professional CQ and the at home stuff is the warranty the factory installers can offer the full five years. This is according to my installer. CQ 3.0 is amazing and only runs about 100$ in materials for the whole car. Locally in SoCal I get charged around 700-800$ for a full paint correction and seal. We are talking a perfect correction.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would skip CQuartz and go for Opti Coat pro plus.

Also, the $1,000-2,000 prices are not for the ceramic coating, but for the paint correction and prep before it gets coated. You want your paint crystal clear and free of any and all swirls, marks, blemishes, etc before you apply a ceramic coating, as it seals it all in, and now you have protected paint that looks like ****.

Cquartz and Opti Coat don't want to just sell to anyone, they want professional people installing their flagship coatings. I get it.
Yes I realize that. Ive had it done on previous vehicles. But tacking on an extra grand for using a "better" chemical with the same amount of prep work seems like poor form.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Only real difference between the professional CQ and the at home stuff is the warranty the factory installers can offer the full five years. This is according to my installer. CQ 3.0 is amazing and only runs about 100$ in materials for the whole car. Locally in SoCal I get charged around 700-800$ for a full paint correction and seal. We are talking a perfect correction.
wearymicrobe, where did you get your car done? Also where are you in SoCal? I have an Escorial blue Spyder and would like to see what yours looks like with the ceramic coating. I have been thinking of doing this for a long time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts