Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Recently I've noticed what can only be described as a constant cracking sound when turning the wheels at low speeds on my 2010 R8 V10. It seems to be coming from the driver's side front wheel area. It sounds worse when I turn to the right, but it is there if I turn to the left as well. Does anybody have an idea what this might be?

This may be unrelated, but I've also noticed a "sticky" noise coming from my tires at higher speeds, almost as if glue were stuck to them.

While I haven't yet physically checked, my car should have the structural reinforcement plates since it was completed in mid December 2009.

This is very different from the quattro "judder" that is common on R8s as well.

Please turn your volume up - cracking from 4 seconds onwards.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Yes, it doesn't sound like the common judder that occurs with slow speed turning - no "cracking" there, for sure.

Have you inspected the suspension?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's the video as promised (cracking from 4 seconds onwards):

In the video, it comes across more as clicking - in person it sounds like something is cracking apart.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it doesn't sound like the common judder that occurs with slow speed turning - no "cracking" there, for sure.

Have you inspected the suspension?
I haven't had a chance to yet - I was originally thinking CV joint as ULTIMATEPD suggested but I'm not sure it would sound quite like this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lift the car and check. It might be a plastic broken piece somewhere near the wheel area
Let's hope so, otherwise I'm guessing it's going to be expensive. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are a lot of used axles for sale on ebay. I sold mine to someone who had failed CV joints.

Any idea how much it will cost to just have everything done at the dealer?

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Check out this thread - I think it sounds like your problem:

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/60-maintenance-service/13372-front-drive.html

In summary, nothing was concluded - but there are folks on the thread who have suggested:

- CV Joint / Boot
- Wheel Bearings
- Front Diff

At least one of each appeared to be the culprit for different posters, and one person helpfully posted a few TSBs regarding the front differential and greasing the CV joints.

·
Vendor
4,143 Posts
Any idea how much it will cost to just have everything done at the dealer?
New axle is about $900 plus 1.5 hrs of labor

·
Super Moderator
3,981 Posts
Jack up the front end so both wheels are off the ground.
Turn the wheels full lock either direction.
Spin both wheels and listen. It should isolate the problem pretty quickly this way.

I'm going to say CV joint. Sounds like a cracked or pitted ball to me and not a cage letting go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So I had some time to take it to the dealer this morning and they gave me a call stating that the wheel bearing is bad and needs to be replaced. They are fairly sure that this will take care of the issue, but if the noise persists even to a lesser degree then the car will need a new axle. They said that the CV joint itself looks fine and there is no sign of other damage. Slightly concerned though since this noise happened only when turning at slow speeds, whereas a wheel bearing should be constant and more noisy at higher speeds. Will update again when I get the car back later tonight.

Thank you all for your input thus far, I really appreciate it.

Update: The problem was entirely the wheel bearing. No more noise and the dealer is confident everything is good to go.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Good to hear and glad it got resolved pretty quickly!

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 08 R8 with only 12000 km started to make the exact sound starting yesterday

My noise comes from the rear... it happens only when I turn an sound comes from both sides... not a lot but it’s there .. I can hear it clearly at low speeds...

Can you tell me what the dealer charged for the wheel bearing? And was it one or 2 they had to replace? Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts