Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am sure most of you agree the R8 always gets lots of attention(which is nice) but as a recently new owner I am sometimes coming across a challenge with admirers and crowds when parked.

A few nights ago we decided to go out for dinner in a high profile tourist area where there are lots of international travellers and locals and I parked the R8 for a couple of hours.When we came back there was a crowd milling around the R8 and I hesitated to go toward the car and display I was the owner.

Now I am not known to be a shy person but we delayed our departure for about 20 mins thru our own choice..... waiting for a window of opportunity when there was only a couple of people looking.

I will always engage and have a chat in most situations but I wondered what do you other member r8 owners do..charge into the pack or do you stand back a bit and wait for a clearing?

I must state I don't mind the attention but is this situation just a bit too..celebrity syndrome?

Must finish with..awesome car!!!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I'm in the same situation. I like the car, and I like the passing attention, but when it reaches a level like you're describing, it's a bit much. I usually stay cordial, let people sit in it etc.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I don't mind the attentions as long as they positive. I do mind the personal questions such as "what do you do to get this thing?"

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I can't tell you how many times I have been told "if you can afford this car, you should hire me."

I guess owning an R8 makes you instantly willing to pay people more than they are really worth in the marketplace.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I once parked mine up and ended up in a situation as described but it got to the point of me feeling uncomfortable about the attention :( The odd comment when filling up or from passers by in the street is fine but on that one occasion it was just way OTT

Now I'm extremely selective about where to park the R8 up if at all, gives me more of a reason to drive :)

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I've owned Porsches a long time. And they have usually attracted some attention. Sometimes that attention was good; sometimes not so good. With the Porsches, a very few people actually hated it as a not so subtle, class symbol. I can understand it. NP. With other people, I would enter into more tech talk about Porsches and other hi performance cars.

But I must admit that almost all of the attention that I get from the R8 is very different indeed. With the R8, everyone just smiles!! :D Experienced car people, hip hop teenagers, small children, and even old ladies rushing across a street, they all just pause and smile. People just grin at it. :D Maybe they will take a photo, but they rarely want to talk about it. Its really a very fun car to have. The R8 doesn't seem to be as much a statement about the driver, as it is a visual landmark of future technology and design becoming a fun part of our everyday lives.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
The R8 doesn't seem to be as much a statement about the driver, as it is a visual landmark of future technology and design becoming a fun part of our everyday lives.
I'm not sure I agree with this. In an era where "conspicuous consumption" is frowned upon, you are more likely to experience the wrath of the have nots. There are posts about being keyed & other acts of vandalism. It adds an element of risk to every outing.

All you can do for now is know where you're going, know your crowd and research where you're going to park overnight. I'll be glad when this economy turns the corner, the R8 is VERY conspicuous!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have never ever get into a situation like that but over here is a little bit different, where Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo etc are common. Having said that, the reaction of the people is usually very positive. They recognise the fact that the R8 is different and it makes a different statement that those Ferraris and Porsches. Overwhelmingly the comments are positive except one or two people thought that I am crazy to pay that kind of money for an Audi. I just laughed as clearly that have no idea how good this car really is.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I just go for it. I'm never a jerk about it and if I have time, I'll always entertain any questions or comments that they have, and give a polite 'take it easy' upon departing.

The real annoyance is the stop light chit chat.I really hate it. I don't like being bother when I'm sitting in the car with someone or listening to music. When I'm driving, I'm driving. A thumbs up or a 'nice car' is perfectly fine, but pleeeeease don't start a conversation at a red light, especially when I'm clearly talking to the person next to me.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
A thumbs up or a 'nice car' is perfectly fine, but pleeeeease don't start a conversation at a red light, especially when I'm clearly talking to the person next to me.
A cop pulled up to the passenger side of my car at the light this morning. Hopped out, knocked on the window, and proceeded to chit chat... naturally I was polite, and hopefully, if he sees me in the future going a lil faster than normal, he'll do the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts