Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Gen 1 Spyder facelift, currently using Michelin PS Cup 2, 19".

Tried ordering 305/30/19 in the PS4s, but was told by Michelin that this size has been discontinued world wide!

So I just have to stick with the Cup 2.
Thinking of going a size bigger: 325/30/19 and 255/35/19
Would these work on the standard wheels that come with the vehicle?
Any issues that might affect the warranty?
Any other noticeable differences in ride/handling?

Or should I just stick to the OEM size of 305 rear and 245 front

TIA

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So update to this. The PS4s is not discontinued. Just a bunch of confused people giving out incorrect information.
Anyway, the PS4s for the rears (305/30/19) will only land in this country in April - 1 tyre (not set) will be here in March, the other in April (no idea why they would order a single tyre at a time)
Either way, thats too long to wait as I need to change tyres now.

So back to my questions on my original post. Can anyone assist?
So I just have to stick with the Cup 2.
Thinking of going a size bigger: 325/30/19 and 255/35/19
Would these work on the standard wheels that come with the vehicle?
Any issues that might affect the warranty?
Any other noticeable differences in ride/handling?

Or should I just stick to the OEM size of 305/30/19 rear and 245/35/19 front

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Cup 2's are just about the ultimate for outright dry grip so if you are happy with them, why change.
I thought OEM size for the front was 235 - happy to be corrected though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cup 2's are just about the ultimate for outright dry grip so if you are happy with them, why change.
I thought OEM size for the front was 235 - happy to be corrected though.
I believe the EU market is 245 fronts. The rears are either 295 or 305.
My vehicle came with 305 rear and 245 front from factory. Friend with a non-spyder came with 295 rear and 245 front.

Yeah I really enjoyed the Cup 2's. But was told by Michellin that since I only track the vehicle once a year, I rather go for the PS4s. Will get similar grip levels, will handle better in the wet and get longer life out of the tyre. But I cannot wait 4 months for a tyre. And should something happen to the tyre, who knows what the wait will be till they bring in more into the country.

Was thinking of increasing the width of the tyres if they can fit on the standard rim and not have any handling issues.
Pricing is only about $20 difference per tyre

·
Registered
132 Posts
So my understanding is you can go to a 255 up front on the stock rim (I run 255 on 8.5 rears on another car) but it is a fat profile at that point and will likely not be a positive from a feedback/handling standpoint due to the sidewall being soft. A 325 rear on the 11 is likely to have similar issues (again, my understanding, although according to Michelin 11" is the minimum for their 325/30/19 Cup 2). Typically when you see people running 255 front / 325 rear on Gen 1 it is with aftermarket 9" fronts and 12" rears with very specific offsets (around stock, or even higher I believe) to avoid rubbing issues. Bear in mind, a 325 in the Cup 2 has a section width of 13" on an 11.5" rim, so you'll be quite on the fat side on an 11" stock rim I imagine (although the PS4S would be worse at 13.5" on an 11.5" rim). Fronts will be similar (minimum recommended rim is 8.5" for the 255/35/19 Cup 2, section width is 10.2" on a 9" rim, so will be quite fat on a 8.5" stock front rim).

Again, Michelin would say you're fine (at least, according to their website), I've just seen it debated whether there's any performance benefit as the soft sidewall can offset the increased grip potential. Additionally, with the stock rims, I would be concerned about the wider tire rubbing, as it will push out more in the fat condition than it would in a slightly stretched condition on a wider rim that was offset to account for the additional rim width. We have ~10-15mm of additional offset available with stock suspension (is my understanding) so maybe it will work? You'd have to find someone who's tried it to know that for sure though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Diablosangelis
Tyre dealers do not keep these tyres in stock, so I can't even try them on to see how they look.
I'd rather just stick to OEM size and avoid any issues.

·
Registered
111 Posts
According to Audi in Germany the R8 gen1 19" has front 235/35 and rear 295/30 (or 305/30).

The gen2 has 20" front 245/30 rear 305/30.

If you want to go tracking I suggest 245/35 and 295/30 making almost all under steering disapear..

The standard oem 19" rims is among the lightest Audi rims out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts